Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2019, 09:20 PM - 5 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,493
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
Someday if you get a chance try the A* 400 f2.8.... if you can carry it....
That's above my pay grade.And also weighs twice what I'm willing to carry.

I shot this GBH on a cloudy evening while testing out my new monopod. Tamron 400/4 (65B) + 1.4x-L



05-18-2019, 04:11 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
onlineflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,380
Original Poster
Are you using a head on the monopod? If yes, what kind?
05-18-2019, 03:16 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
onlineflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,380
Original Poster
Took a close look at a tightly cropped version of the candid picture taken with the K-5iis + Sigma 135/2.8 Pantel + AF 1.7x adapter. Check out the teeth on the cropped photo. I'd say that's not too bad for a 40 year old, under appreciated lens with adapter. What do you think?

original photo


cropped photo
05-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #49
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,043
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That's above my pay grade.And also weighs twice what I'm willing to carry.

I shot this GBH on a cloudy evening while testing out my new monopod. Tamron 400/4 (65B) + 1.4x-L
Smooth.

05-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,493
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Are you using a head on the monopod? If yes, what kind?
I've been thinking about it, but haven't bought one yet. Not really sure I need one. The monopod I'm using is the Oben ACM-2400L, picked it up as new-open-box on Ebay for $53/shipped. I really like the legs, useful even on rough, uneven ground.
05-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,493
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Smooth.
That Tamron 65B is basically a stretched-out 300/2.8. It's really nice, and works with the Pentax A 1.4x-L as if they were made for each other.
05-19-2019, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spring Branch, Tx
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 509
White tail deer and black chin hummingbird this morning...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
onlineflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,380
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
White tail deer and black chin hummingbird this morning...
That second shot is really nice. What lens and adapter did you use?

05-19-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
onlineflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,380
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I've been thinking about it, but haven't bought one yet. Not really sure I need one. The monopod I'm using is the Oben ACM-2400L, picked it up as new-open-box on Ebay for $53/shipped. I really like the legs, useful even on rough, uneven ground.
I put a tilt head on my monopod and I really like it, I find it much better than a ball head or a stand alone monopod.

Looking at the feet on the Oben brought back a recent memory of a woman I saw at Magee Marsh, the local birders gathering site. It was reminiscent of a photo Norm posted of someone shooting with their lens cap on backwards. This individual was equipped with an expensive Canon camera and long tele lens, mounted on a monopod with legs like the Oben. The funny thing was she was holding the rig up, with the feet of the monopod about a foot off the ground and her camera swaying back and forth, trying to get a shot. It looked hilarious. I wanted to take a picture of the scene but I was too close to get the shot.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 05-19-2019 at 01:17 PM.
05-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spring Branch, Tx
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 509
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
That second shot is really nice. What lens and adapter did you use?
A*400 f2.8 with the AF 1.7, my normal set up for around the yard.
05-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spring Branch, Tx
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 509
I did encounter a slight issue this morning that is unusual for my area, fog and high humidity [89%]. Up until about 9:30 am, the humidity was affecting all my images with the 400 [+ or - the TC]. The camera was in the garage for 40 minutes to acclimate to the temps before I attempted to use it but the humidity was much less in the garage compared to outside, looks like one is shooting thru a window.... The issue is lessened greatly without TC use but not eliminated completely....
05-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,493
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I put a tilt head on my monopod and I really like it, I find it much better than a ball head or a stand alone monopod.

Looking at the feet on the Oben brought back a recent memory of a woman I saw at Magee Marsh, the local birders gathering site. It was reminiscent of a photo Norm posted of someone shooting with their lens cap on backwards. This individual was equipped with an expensive Canon camera and long tele lens, mounted on a monopod with legs like the Oben. The funny thing was she was holding the rig up, with the feet of the monopod about a foot off the ground and her camera swaying back and forth, trying to get a shot. It looked hilarious. I wanted to take a picture of the scene but I was too close to get the shot.
I've done that with a tripod! Sometimes the body reacts before the brain does.
05-22-2019, 12:02 PM - 3 Likes   #58
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,043
Today's roll call...
Post in K-1 images, 300mm plus and discuss, the Yardbirds thread, and the TC club

K-1 and Tamron 300 2.8 with Tamron 2x TC

















05-22-2019, 12:13 PM - 5 Likes   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
tscip22's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 68
K1 300A* + 1.7 adapter
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
06-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Spring Branch, Tx
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 509
I had to see how far this stacking would go, not much more I am afraid.... cropping will be better than to stack all of these.....SMC A ☆ 400 F2.8 ED[IF] w/ 1.4XL, DA 1.4X and AF 1.7 [In that order]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
2x, 300mm, adapter, adapters, af, club, converter, da, f4, k-mount, kenko, lenses, pentax lens, post, shot, slr lens, smc, t6, t6 2x, t6-2x, tele, teleconverter and adapter, teleconverters, wonder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Q-to-K Adapter and HD Teleconverter on Q. Is it possible? januko Pentax Q 8 12-08-2014 07:25 PM
Difference.. Auto Teleconverter/Teleconverter? peter oconnor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 04-28-2013 03:11 PM
tamron 1.4x and kenko 1.5x teleconverter club jon pafford Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 09-25-2011 09:59 AM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter & Quantaray 2x Teleconverter DaveInPA Sold Items 15 09-24-2009 06:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top