Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Teleconverter and Adapter club

I've seen a number of threads discussing teleconverters / adapters but haven't found a lens club dedicated to them, other than specific clubs for the DA 1.4x AW AF and medium format. I own and shoot with both the K T6 2X and the F 1.7x AF Adapter with a variety of lenses. I'd be interested in what others are using, see their results and read their comments. This thread is open to all teleconverters and adapters, including both Pentax and aftermarket brands.

Here's one of my recent shots with the K T6 2X in combination with the K 200/2.5.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
04-26-2018, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have two Kenko Teleconverters (1.5x and 2.0x) as well as a 35mm macro-focusing tube..
and I have a Vivitar 2x macro-focusing tele converter, and a weird off-brand (magnicon?) 3x macro-focusing teleconverter that I got real cheap.
I've not really put any of them through their paces yet. (and I've had the Kenko adapters for years, and they're even auto-focus.)
I also have an old-school macro bellows.. but that isn't tele.

I do wonder how many folks have teleconverters instead of super-long lenses. I guess we'll see, and maybe I'll try to shoot a few things worthy of posting with my tele's.
04-26-2018, 01:18 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I started the Pentax 1.4x WR thread but I also have the 1.7x plus other converters so I will post here. I mainly use the 1.7x on the DA* 300mm f4 and various macro lenses.

1.7x on DA8 300mm f/4

Sparrow
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Kestrel 100% Crop

On Sigma 100-300mm f/4

Dunnock
04-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Several others with the K T6 2X and K200/2.5 combo

url="https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=392310"][/url] [url="https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=392309"]

---------- Post added 04-26-18 at 07:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Heebie Quote
I have two Kenko Teleconverters (1.5x and 2.0x) as well as a 35mm macro-focusing tube..
and I have a Vivitar 2x macro-focusing tele converter, and a weird off-brand (magnicon?) 3x macro-focusing teleconverter that I got real cheap.
I've not really put any of them through their paces yet. (and I've had the Kenko adapters for years, and they're even auto-focus.)

I do wonder how many folks have teleconverters instead of super-long lenses. I guess we'll see, and maybe I'll try to shoot a few things worthy of posting with my tele's.
My longest lenses are 300mm, including an A*300/4 and a DA 300/4. I use the T6 2x on my K 200/2.5, the F 1.7x AF on the A*300 (to give me auto focus) and the DA 300 by itself. This give me an economical 400mm, a fairly economical 510mm and an exquisite 300mm.

---------- Post added 04-26-18 at 07:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Heebie Quote

How do you like the DA 300 + 1.7 AF combo? I've never tried it since the DA is such a superb lens by itself. I find the 1.7x AF with the A*300 to be a great combination. I'll have to dig up some photos from this setup.

05-04-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a bunch of TC's and use them (some more than others--depending on circumstances) One of my favs is the Pentax AF 1.7x. It requires a lot of light and needs to be matched with good fast lenses but delivers fine IQ under the right conditions. Combined with DA*300/4 and a crop sensor body its gives a lot of reach in a pretty compact kit.

Another virtue is that it serves as a focus-limiter with lenses (like the DA*300) which don't have that functionality. Case in point: Yesterday I spotted a red-tail flying over the valley behind my house. It had something in its mouth which I took to be nest-construction material. I tried to get a shot with the DA*300 and DA 1.4x but the bird was too far away and moving too fast for the lens to focus so I swapped in the 1.7x and got a focus on some trees at approximately the same distance as the bird which allowed me to get a passable shot (for my amateur purposes).

Here's a .5MP crop. It wasn't nest material--it was a snake!

05-06-2018, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ventured out to Magee Marsh to get some bird pictures with the A*300mm + F 1.7x AF combo. Didn't get many bird shots but did get a few other wildlife photos.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
05-06-2018, 04:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a few old cheap manual teleconverters, 2 and 3x but the only one I have used that provides reasonable images is the Vivitar 1.5x. However it is better at shorter distances, whether this is my own fault or the lens and tc combination I don't know. I suspect it could be me, I have seen many images on the forums using better tcs on much better lenses that I think are great!
This is an example of a closer image, Taken with a Chinon 200mm F3.5.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-06-2018, 05:24 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I'm currently only having the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5 (should be 1.4x from what I'd read through the forums), focusing is a abit slower and I'm planning to get the Pentax DA 1.4x in future.

Some shots from the Pentax DA*300mm with the Kenko 1.4x Pz-AF, noticed the sweet spot setting is f5.6:

05-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Several more from today, A*300mm + F 1.7x AF
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
09-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's a bad hair day. K-5iis + K 200/2.5 + K T6-2X
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
10-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamron 60-B

I just recently got this lens with the Adaptall 140 . I am wondering if I can use the Pentax 1.7 Af adapter with this lens behind the PK adapter without the Tamron 1.4 adapter. Are there any other auto focus adapters that might work with this lens? It is a 300mm F2.8 Adaptall lens. Thanks
10-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kennygee Quote
I just recently got this lens with the Adaptall 140 . I am wondering if I can use the Pentax 1.7 Af adapter with this lens behind the PK adapter without the Tamron 1.4 adapter. Are there any other auto focus adapters that might work with this lens? It is a 300mm F2.8 Adaptall lens. Thanks
I don't see why you couldn't use the AF 1.7x but I'd suggest you pm normhead and ask him. He has a lot more knowledgeable than I do, plus he also owns that lens.
10-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks OnLineFlyer, I know he has the Pentax 1.7 , but didn't know about the 60-B
10-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks OnLineFlyer, I know he has the Pentax 1.7 , but didn't know about the 60-B
By the way, I use my AF 1.7x with my K 200/2.5 and A 300/4 with good results.
10-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should work fine if there's decent light.