Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 836 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #16
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
What you had time to set up a tripod for the self timer you must have been "chilled"
That's exactly what we did carried around a tripod and shot our own wedding

08-06-2018, 11:14 AM - 4 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea for a club.

I'm a huge fan of the 24mm field of view on APS-C. So far I have had 5 24mm primes (all f/2.8) and still own 3 of them...

The first was a Rokinon 24 2.8 that was probably made by Tokina (I have seen Tokina RMCs with the exact same body, writings, lens reflections, etc). I bought it on a whim at a local used camera gear store. It did have some optical issue that caused all pictures under f/5.6 to be unuseable at medium to far distances. Wide open at MFD was ok. It was never really sharp at f/5.6 and smaller but it rendered nicely and made me like the focal length a lot. So I sold it really cheaply while saving for a better 24 2.8.

So here's the Rokinon...

08-06-2018, 11:19 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

My 2nd 24mm lens was the Pentax-K 24 2.8. A great lens, better again at closer distances than long distances.

08-06-2018, 11:24 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

I liked that K 24 2.8 but then the oportunity arose to trade it for a Pentax-M 50 f4 Macro plus a Vivitar (Cosina) 24 2.8. I always wanted a true macro lens and I would get a 24 2.8 lens that by all accounts was very sharp, even if it doesn't handle flare as well as Pentax lenses...
So I ended up with this little Vivitar. It's a good, sharp lens but didn't excite as much as the Pentax or even the Rokinon (which I enjoyed to shoot with despite its serious limitations). Not that there's anything wrong with it, some of the colors didn't excite me too much but I've warmed up to it.

08-06-2018, 11:33 AM - 4 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

The fourth 24 2.8 was an impulse buy... I had the opportunity to get a Tokina 24 2.8 for 14 dollars shipped so I just jumped on it!
It's identical and construction to the Vivitar (Cosina) so I wonder if it's a collaboration between Cosina and Tokina, like the 19-35 3.5-4.5 lenses from both that seem to have identical optical formula and just have different lens casing. But in these 24 2.8 lenses, even the fonts used to write on the lens bodies were the same!
The Tokina does focus closer though, and for some reason, even though they render very similarly and the Vivitar/Cosina might be hair sharper, I just enjoy shooting with the Tokina a bit more.
The fact that it looked unused (NOS) didn't hurt, either. What did hurt a bit is that it had a Ricoh pin and when I removed it, by accident I made it a declicked lens and couldn't find the tiny plastic pieces that would have made the aperture cling click again. Oh well, the A setting still works fine!

MFD, uncropped.

08-06-2018, 11:43 AM - 4 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

The 5th and final is a Pentax-A 24 2.8 that I bought only because it was very cheap due to the A contacts not working, making it basically a K lens. A K lens with A coatings? Sign me up
I've always wanted the lens but the usual price can be about the same as a DA 21mm Limited so I always thought, if I had a couple hundred bucks saved up for a wide lens, I'll just get that.
This lens had been CLA'd recently by Eric and looks brand new. And it renders gorgeously. with rich A series Pentax colors (strong contrast, beautifully saturated blues, oranges and yellows yet maintaining a great color balance in general).

I finally found my perfect 24mm lens (but I'm keeping at least the Tokina as well )

08-06-2018, 11:57 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

And here's a couple of my zooms... it seems I shoot my zooms at 23mm a lot (closer to the true 35mm 135/FF lens focal length?). But I did find a couple at 24mm...

The Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 @24mm

SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm @24mm

The DA 16-45 in particular seems like it's a stunning lens at 24mm, probably better than my primes...

08-06-2018, 02:42 PM - 2 Likes   #23
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
it is my intent here to make 24mm the new 28...

(:
08-06-2018, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #24
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the Vivitar (Cosina) 24mm f2.8 I had previously never hit its stride with me:

but I'm glad that if found a home where it's used and appreciated...
08-07-2018, 04:05 AM   #25
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with Tamron Adaptall-2 01BB

08-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #26
Pentaxian

So what are your impressions of the Tamron so far, Dave? Do you have to work hard to get good results from it like with the 28?
08-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #27
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So what are your impressions of the Tamron so far, Dave? Do you have to work hard to get good results from it like with the 28?
so far, so good - the 24mm tends to overexpose like every other Adaptall lens I've owned, there is some barrel distortion like several other wide lenses I've shot from that era, but the colors are great, and there's a sharpness/clarity that I did not see in either copy of the 28mm I had...
08-07-2018, 07:52 AM   #28
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-3 with Tamron Adaptall-2 01BB

and soap-bubbles at f2.5:

08-07-2018, 11:03 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

When I first acquired the Sigma AF 24mm f/2.8 super-wide II, I used it all the time with my K-x, and then with my K-01. For some reason I don't use it as often with my K-50, perhaps because I have tended towards either the DA 21 or smc-F 28mm. But the 24 focal length, and this particular prime, will always have a place in my heart and camera kit. I can't bring myself to sell it. For sentimental reasons especially, because it has captured some of my favorite pictures of my dog when he was just a puppy.

08-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #30
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
When I first acquired the Sigma AF 24mm f/2.8 super-wide II, I used it all the time with my K-x, and then with my K-01. For some reason I don't use it as often with my K-50, perhaps because I have tended towards either the DA 21 or smc-F 28mm. But the 24 focal length, and this particular prime, will always have a place in my heart and camera kit. I can't bring myself to sell it. For sentimental reasons especially, because it has captured some of my favorite pictures of my dog when he was just a puppy.

diggin' it!