Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K1 with Auto Sears 300mm 5.6

09-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #962
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Auto Sears Zoom 80-200mm f 4 macro

I found a copy of the Auto Sears Macro 80-200mm f 4 macro lens in a dark corner of my lens cabinet--no idea how, when, or from where it got there. Seeing it, I had to try it. It is generally softer than modern lenses and unacceptably soft to many users, I suspect, but still capable of producing usable images showing excellent color fidelity. Here are a few shots from this old boy. I found one selling on eBay for as low as $9.99 including freight, so if excellent color fidelity is a priority and you are not afraid of a little softness in your images, this old boy may be the one for you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-07-2019, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #963
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Auto Sears Macro 80-200mm f 4 macro lens
been a minute since I have used this lens.....I find it a very good lens at short distances not so much at a distance....the bokeh is generally quite pleasing in that buttery smooth look as shown by yer nice samples......I will admit I tend to use a vivitar more often in that zoom range as it sharper at distance and has the 'a' ring for flash use
09-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #964
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I found a copy of the Auto Sears Macro 80-200mm f 4 macro lens in a dark corner of my lens cabinet--no idea how, when, or from where it got there. Seeing it, I had to try it. It is generally softer than modern lenses and unacceptably soft to many users, I suspect, but still capable of producing usable images showing excellent color fidelity. Here are a few shots from this old boy. I found one selling on eBay for as low as $9.99 including freight, so if excellent color fidelity is a priority and you are not afraid of a little softness in your images, this old boy may be the one for you.

My Sears f4 80-200 is part of a group of zooms with overlapping focal length ranges that I keep considering as a group I could pare down, but I have taken some pictures with that lens I really like, making it hard to part with. I actually haven't used it for macro work as much for other kinds of pictures. It also performs well with black-and-white film.