Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 104 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #781
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep I STAND corrected the JC PENNY IS made by COSINA most likely. As far as the 28MM AND 135 MM MARKED 202 those are SAMYANG

01-13-2016, 12:48 AM   #782
Veteran Member

Ehhhhhhhh... I wouldn't call the modern Samyangs top dollar, not for the IQ they kick out.

I picked up the 35 and 85mm f/1.4's for under $600 new, combined.

Of course my used Sears lenses (all 12 or so of them) probably were less than half that combined.

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 02:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I'dd not say "most" Sears lenses are Samyangs. The most common manufacturer of the Sears lenses, particularly for the primes, is Ricoh. Samyang makes several of the Korean-made zooms, but Mamiyas and Chinons (including some of the Korean made ones) are more common than Samyang for the Primes. Most of the Japanese-made zooms, which seem to be mmore plentiful than the Korean ones, are Tokinas.
Tokina made the older Sears k-mount lenses. I think all the Model 202's were the Samyangs (even the primes, which would include the later 28mm).

Ricoh and Chinon made the 50s as far as I can tell.

The Tokinas are easy to spot because of the silver piping, just as the Samyangs are easy to tell because of the yellow and green (and the Model 202 stamped on them). Ricohs tended to have red and white lettering, and Chinons were all white.

I have no clue about he older screws except they included Ricohs or the very-not-Pentax-compatible Mamiyas. The Mamiyas are easy to tell because the won't fit your Pentax.

Last edited by Sagitta; 01-13-2016 at 12:54 AM.
01-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #783
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Yep I STAND corrected the JC PENNY IS made by COSINA most likely. As far as the 28MM AND 135 MM MARKED 202 those are SAMYANG
There are different versions of the JC Penney 28mm, the most common is made by Makina and has a 55mm filter thread. There's also one with 52mm filter thread (see Dewman's post below) but I'm not sure who makes it. Could be Cosina - to me it looks a bit more like a Komine (from looking at pictures posted on Ebay), but I could be wrong.

My Sears 28mm 2.8 (non-macro) is a Tokina. It is the Macro version that is supposedly made ny Samyang. Sears changed suppliers sometimes so there might be other versions out there as well.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 01-13-2016 at 12:33 PM.
01-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #784
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Sorry but the JC Penney 28mm are made by Makina. They have 55mm filters. I have that lens branded as Focal in Minolta mount.

My Sears 28mm 2.8 (non-macro) is a Tokina. It is the Macro version that is supposedly made ny Samyang. Sears changed suppliers sometimes so there might be other versions out there as well.

Hmmm.... my JC Penney 28mm lens takes 52mm filters.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-30-2016 at 02:51 PM.
01-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #785
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Ok yeah that's definitely not a Makina. I see a couple like this on Ebay, not sure of the manufacturer. It looks a bit like a Komine but I'm not sure. I've edited my comment above.
01-13-2016, 12:47 PM   #786
Veteran Member

Ok yeah that's definitely not a Makina. I see a couple like this on Ebay, not sure of the manufacturer. It looks a bit like a Komine but I'm not sure. I've edited my comment above.

On the side, it's inscribed, "Made in Japan." I've never given is a fair test, just the basic "let me see if this thing works" kind, but it seems to be fairly sharp.
01-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #787
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Dewman I think you Len is made by Komine

01-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #788
Veteran Member

Hi Dewman I think you Len is made by Komine

That's not a bad endorsement, I don't think. I have several manual Vivitar lenses made by them and all are very good. Some are far better than 'very good"!
01-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #789
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love this discussion thread; in fact, it's what's most inspired me to join this forum finally. Those eye-popping wide open shots that started this Club off are amazing, and have prompted me to try some similar shots, as well as other comparison tests between some Sears lenses I have. I'll go into more detail when I post some examples, but I want to read the entire thread first...which may take me a while to do with my still-dial-up connection. For now, I just want to say "Hi" and cheer others on in the Sears Lens Club!
01-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #790
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Yep, among others, the 70-210 v3 and 28-90mm Viv Series Ones are made by Komine, not to mention the "Holy Trinity" macros (55mm, 90mm, and 135mm Close focusing). All superb lenses.

I've got a Vivitar 28-200mm that's not particularly singled out as "one of the best," but my copy is remarkably sharp! Like.... Scary Sharp! At least to my old, myopic eyes, it looks to be so!

Ever since my early days of the digital world of photography (only about 4 years ago!) I've had a particular fondness for Vivitar lenses. It was often all I could afford and they certainly gave me quite a bang for my very few bucks!

01-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #791
Pentaxian

Yes, Vivitar lenses rock! I think there's a club for them too, if I'm not mistaken... and a manual focus zoom club... and a cheap wide angle zoom club (for that Vivitar Series 1 19-35, which is a surprisingly good lens as well...made by Cosina)
01-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #792
Veteran Member

Yes, Vivitar lenses rock! I think there's a club for them too, if I'm not mistaken... and a manual focus zoom club... and a cheap wide angle zoom club (for that Vivitar Series 1 19-35, which is a surprisingly good lens as well...made by Cosina)

I've got a 28-85mm that is also a killer lens! Matter of fact, I've got a lens case that is designated "The Vivitar Vault"! Nothing but my best Vivitars in there. I have the aforementioned 28-200mm that is razor sharp, but I have another Vivitar 28-200mm that is slightly different in construction that produces some real dreamy, soft images. Real Hollywood-style stuff. I'd love to try some portraits with it. Here's a sample of what I'm talking about. For a guy who is usually obsessed with sharpness, I absolutely LOVE the look this lens produces! Cool, eh?

01-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #793
Pentaxian

That is pretty cool and I like it much better than the so-called soft lenses, that go a little bit too far in their softness.

I have a Tiffen SoftFX3 that came on a lens I bought. It does something similar, making the image softer but not blurry. I should use it more often...
01-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #794
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a Vivitar 28-200mm that's not particularly singled out as "one of the best," but my copy is remarkably sharp! Like.... Scary Sharp! At least to my old, myopic eyes, it looks to be so!

Ever since my early days of the digital world of photography (only about 4 years ago!) I've had a particular fondness for Vivitar lenses. It was often all I could afford and they certainly gave me quite a bang for my very few bucks!
Beautiful shot, amazing really. It is a shame that both Komine and Kino Precision are gone. It seem after the original owners of Vivitar died ,so did these manufacturers. A shame really . seem as if the strongest one to survive was Cosina
01-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #795
Pentaxian

Beautiful shot, amazing really. It is a shame that both Komine and Kino Precision are gone. It seem after the original owners of Vivitar died ,so did these manufacturers. A shame really . seem as if the strongest one to survive was Cosina
I'd say Tokina was the strongest, as they were able to establish their own line of lenses. Cosina couldn't.