Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #16

Darn it

Thnaks for this thread, now I'm bidding on an almost new Sears 135mm f/2.8 The quality they have seem to be great, how do they handle in non-macro mode?

09-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
How many aperture blades does that 50 1.4 have? These are some amazing shots.
Thanks! Blades - six, never even looked until you asked, always stays wide open

This one is a crop (heck, you can only get but "so" close with non-macro lens)... Still 50mm, still f1.4

QuoteOriginally posted by PollitowuzHere Quote
Thnaks for this thread, now I'm bidding on an almost new Sears 135mm f/2.8 The quality they have seem to be great, how do they handle in non-macro mode?
Join the "forces of Sears"!!! =) I think it is very acceptable wide open in non-macro mode (I'm guessing you are interested in "K" mount one)? I'll look through the files today, will post a few...

Regards,
D
09-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rain stopped for few hours, so we had nice, light lunch from the grill (50mm f1.4):

Regards,
D
09-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #19
Damn Brit

I've just caught up with this thread.
D great work you certainly have a way with DOF. I also note that you have the same habit as James of photographing your food. Is this a requirement for Bokeh Masters?

09-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Gary, I appreciate it!

Food - lol, nah, James is the "king" of food! I've got nothing on him The truth is, until fairly recently, I really never fully explored the capabilities of f1.4, specially on everyday subjects, and even less around the house. And is is such rewarding experience to be able to photograph in such low light and with low ISO and no motion blur.

Regards,
D
09-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sears 300mm f5.6

I had a 300 / 5.6 Sears lens on my first SLR (a K1000, which I still have and use). I miss that old lens. I remember taking some great shots at Eric Clapton, Ted Nugent, Black Sabbath, and Grateful Dead concerts with it. That should tell you that it was many (30?) years ago!

It really was a great lens. Multi-coated, compact, sharp.

Reed
09-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #22
Forum Member

I forgot to mention the great part about my 2 lenses - they were free =o)

09-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #23
Kei

Photos: Gallery
I have the Sears 135mm f2.8 lens (no "A" setting, no macro mode). Minimum focusing distance is 5 feet. Do you think its a good lens to use with extension tube for macro?

If not, any affordable (cheap) option should I be considering? Using cheap extension tube means I lost all the auto exposure/aperture features so I might as well go with a cheap full manual lens <$50. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Kei
10-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #24
Forum Member

Was gonna start my own post, but found this on a search. Is there anything we haven't already done with these cameras?

Anyhow, I just completed my move to Waukegan, Il. First day we were here, we went to a few rummage sales looking for things for the new apartment. Picked up a couch and chair for $300, a Laserdisc player with 30 movies for $5, and someone's old camera bag... I'll get to that price later.

Inside the bag was a complete Sears camera setup, including a KS Super II body, an 'Automatic 17-A' flash (unsure if this is Sears, it's unmarked), a 50mm f/2.0 lens, and a 135mm f/2.8 multicoated lens.

My question to you all (and I haven't seen any discussion about this so far), is how much is this stuff worth? Everything is in stellar condition, only thing I saw was the 135 had a very small ding, and the foam seal on the camera body needs to be renewed.

Not worth much probably, but there's only one thing cheaper than what I paid for the whole bag...you already know what that is.
10-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by miniman82 Quote

Inside the bag was a complete Sears camera setup, including a KS Super II body, an 'Automatic 17-A' flash (unsure if this is Sears, it's unmarked), a 50mm f/2.0 lens, and a 135mm f/2.8 multicoated lens.
The KS Super II might be worth playing with, though its value is nil. It was sort of a loser when it was new. The two lenses are another matter. Are they both Sears?

Steve
10-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The two lenses are another matter. Are they both Sears?
Everything in the bag is Sears (lenses included), but I don't know about the flash- it's unmarked.
10-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by miniman82 Quote
Everything in the bag is Sears (lenses included), but I don't know about the flash- it's unmarked.
Well, if the lenses are both Sears, they might pretty good. Give them a try and post the results! Neither is likely to bring a high price at auction, but that is the beauty of it. I would use caution with the flash since it likely has too high a trigger voltage for most modern cameras.

Steve
10-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #28
Forum Member

Here's a few from the 135 multicoated lens. Forgive my lack of interesting subjects, there isn't much going on in the new apartment!
Still getting used to manual focus too, so things might not be as sharp as they could be.

Aifield as seen from my balcony:

Crop of a yellowjacket:

I can tell it will be a decent lens to have in my bag once I learn how to control it,
especially since I've always wanted a prime in this range. Too bad it's not a
macro though, that would have been really nice.
10-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
While Sears lenses are not worth much, I really enjoy using them, and consider them very capable performers, specially if you are on the budget.

Few from 50mm f1.4 (all wide open):

C&C always welcome!

Regards,
D
10-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #30
Forum Member

Update!
I'm starting to like both the 50mm and the 135mm lenses very much the more I use them. The manual focus thing takes some getting used to,
but I'm starting to take some decent shots already. Maybe the focusing screen from the film body will fit my K200?
Here's one I took today in New Orleans; I call it 'Bourbon Mule'.

That was the 135mm f/2.8 lens. Haven't done anything with the Sears 50mm on the digital body except test shots yet, but so far I can't tell much of a
difference between it and the FA50. The FA is still on top though- gotta love f/1.4!
F/2 on the Sears 50 ain't too shabby, either.

Oh, that's right! I almost forgot to tell you all what I paid.
The film body, 50mm, 135mm and flash was $1 at a rummage sale. Score!