Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 101 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2021, 11:55 PM   #1021
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Scott C. Quote
. . .
But my question to you all would be, what freaking mount is this thing?! because I want to use it!

Hi, Scott C.

As Aaron28 said, mirror lenses often come with an interchangeable T mount. But I think Sears 500s were sold with fixed mounts.

Are you familiar with Canon's FD mount? I believe your lens has a fixed FD mount. Except your Flickr photos appear to show that part of the mount is missing.

FD is a breech mount with a rotating collar. And I don't see that collar on the lens in your photos. Maybe the collar came off when you removed that teleconverter?

I'm attaching some photos of a Canon FL mount lens I have. FL is also a breech mount, but older than FD. Your lens will look different because it doesn't have any auto stop down hardware since your 500 doesn't have an iris.

My lens - with and without its mount collar (the circled screw stops the collar from rotating too far):

Name:  P6290010 g10.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  161.2 KB

Attached Images

06-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #1022
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something I forgot to mention is the mount collar on my lens has a left handed thread.
07-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #1023
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
hangin with the puppers......K-50...sears 28/2.8...af360fgz.....wansen radio triggers

Nice shots, Aaron28!
I know nearly nothing about using flash. How did you get this cool shot of Barney?
07-01-2021, 11:51 PM   #1024

it is likely a T mount lens......did the "silver" collar have 3 set screws when ya removed it? have had a few with a variety of different mounts via the collar but the lens itself was typically t mount
Ok awesome, I appreciate it.

07-01-2021, 11:54 PM   #1025

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Something I forgot to mention is the mount collar on my lens has a left handed thread.
Yes I have all of that. I think I can “fix” something that wasn’t broken to begin with all the time and then end up breaking it myself. Haha. But yes I have the collar you mentioned. I appreciate all the info.
07-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #1026
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott C. Quote
. . .
I appreciate all the info.

You're welcome. Good luck with the lens.
07-03-2021, 08:43 AM   #1027
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Nice shots, Aaron28!
I know nearly nothing about using flash. How did you get this cool shot of Barney?
thanks a.t. !! (oddly enough my initials! ) ............most times when shooting my puppers and in particular with the sears 28 the lens is preset at f4-5.6 and at a distance of 3-5 feet......i do not look through the VF but bend over with the camera low and click when i think they are at that distance (i miss but have done it so often in general do quite well)........as for the flash i use the af360fgz and set the auto mode to correspond with the set f stop and iso minus one stop because they are so close.....i.e. camera at f4 and 100iso the flash is set at f2.8 and 100iso (sometimes i will go f2.8 and 200iso)......reckon i could set up a manual power setting like 1/8 or something but being amazed by the auto function........i use a simple radio trigger to fire the flash.......so i have the camera in one hand and the flash in the other (being careful not to block the auto sensor on the flash)......when i point everything in the right direction get some nice stuff......since i'm at sync speed or less (1/180~1/100) i get some motion blur from the camera moving but get the still from the flash......hope this makes some sense

Last edited by Aaron28; 07-03-2021 at 06:01 PM.
07-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #1028
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

. . .

Yes, I think I understand. Thanks for the explanation, Aaron28!
07-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #1029
Pentaxian

hangin with the puppers........K-50...sears 28/2.8.....af360fgz....wansen radio trigger

Prissy's aw hell no.....

12-19-2023, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #1030
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 1/2 years later... the dlub lives again

Got me an Auto Sears 50mm f/1.7 again... but this time I got the older model, metal construction with the recessed front element and 45cm MFD, instead of the one I had previously which was mostly plastic, almost pancake, 60cm MFD. Both models are rebranded Rikenons, this one is extremely similar in construction to my RIkenon XR 50mm f/1.4.

These were wide open.

And this is the lens (from the eBay auction):

12-20-2023, 07:37 AM   #1031
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
2 1/2 years later... the dlub lives again

Got me an Auto Sears 50mm f/1.7 again... but this time I got the older model, metal construction with the recessed front element and 45cm MFD, instead of the one I had previously which was mostly plastic, almost pancake, 60cm MFD. Both models are rebranded Rikenons, this one is extremely similar in construction to my RIkenon XR 50mm f/1.4.

These were wide open.

And this is the lens (from the eBay auction):
Looks like a keeper and you use it well.

I haven't tried the Sears 50/1.7, though I do have the older Auto Rikenon 50/1.7. I've got so many 50s I don't use it much, but I like it.

I also have the Auto Sears 55/1.4 and the Auto Rikenon 55/1.4. They are definitely the same lens.

Sears 55/1.4

Rikenon 55/1.4

12-20-2023, 09:17 AM   #1032
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
Looks like a keeper and you use it well.

I haven't tried the Sears 50/1.7, though I do have the older Auto Rikenon 50/1.7. I've got so many 50s I don't use it much, but I like it.

I also have the Auto Sears 55/1.4 and the Auto Rikenon 55/1.4. They are definitely the same lens.

Sears 55/1.4

Rikenon 55/1.4

I know those look used up but both lenses look quite well made, beautiful pieces of metal and glass. It's also amazing to see that they are basically uncoated - probably single coated -, so they must be quite old, and not just because they are M42 lenses.

On my Sears 50 1.7, I looked up an eBay auction of an identical lens (just marked Rikenon instead of Auto Sears) and it states that it is a Tomioka lens. I'm quite amazed at the clarity, color, contrast and sharpness that I get wide open - not DFA 50 1.4 standards of course, but more than I would expect from something that is probably from the 70s/early 80s. Tomiokas were very well regarded... this might be one after all.
12-21-2023, 02:07 PM   #1033
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I know those look used up but both lenses look quite well made, beautiful pieces of metal and glass. It's also amazing to see that they are basically uncoated - probably single coated -, so they must be quite old, and not just because they are M42 lenses.

On my Sears 50 1.7, I looked up an eBay auction of an identical lens (just marked Rikenon instead of Auto Sears) and it states that it is a Tomioka lens. I'm quite amazed at the clarity, color, contrast and sharpness that I get wide open - not DFA 50 1.4 standards of course, but more than I would expect from something that is probably from the 70s/early 80s. Tomiokas were very well regarded... this might be one after all.
Yeah - they are old and definitely have their shortcomings. But still a real pleasure to use. For some reason I prefer these older lenses - I think it is just a tactile thing.

I don't know much about the Tomioka stuff. I have a Tomioka labeled Chinon that I like though.
4 Hours Ago   #1034
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Auto Sears/Sekor SX 55mm f1.8 compared to Auto Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f1.8

I recently purchased a copy of each of these lenses. They share a similar pedigree. They were both based on designs by Mamiya. The Sears (SX), however, has a six element in five groups design, while the Mamiya has a six elements in four group design. Some claim the 6/5 is better. There are also claims made that the Sears lens was made by Tomioka. Regardless, it's a fine lens as is the Mamiya. I've been shooting with the Sears since getting it and filing down the aperture ring so that the lens can mount flush on the camera. Today, I tried out the Mamiya. I think I like the Sears better. The color is just a bit warmer making the color richer. This was taken at f2.8 and is unprocessed.