Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2019, 11:42 PM - 3 Likes   #31
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
K-5 IIs with Mamiya Macro Sekor 60mm f2.8

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

01-26-2019, 11:46 PM - 3 Likes   #32
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

01-27-2019, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

Great pix of the four dogs. Reminds me of a group of old men having a conversation and one member of the group in particular, is quite animated in his contribution. I'm an old man so I know the 'routine; quite well.
01-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #34
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great pix of the four dogs. Reminds me of a group of old men having a conversation and one member of the group in particular, is quite animated in his contribution. I'm an old man so I know the 'routine; quite well.

thank you - I'm always thrilled to have some decent shots turn out of them with a fully-manual lens...

01-27-2019, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

YO ! Just FOUND this thread ! I too have some Mamiya lenses -- Medium Format and lately given a Sekor SX M42 35mm f2.8 -- just got a couple of 'preliminary Tests' on a second Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F given to me . I will show some pics ---

Sekor SX 35mm f2.8 at f5.6 - Film is old 2001 dated Fuji Press 800 OK for 'Tests'
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Perfection2480  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection2480  Photo 
01-27-2019, 08:57 AM - 5 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Mamiya Sekor 'Blue Dot 80mm f2.8 on C220
On the one of the 'Bluebells' there is Light Fogging -- i renewed the foam light sealing
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Perfection1650  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection1650  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection1650  Photo 
01-27-2019, 01:13 PM - 3 Likes   #37

LOL at this comment:

QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
Stampede! We all race off to Ebay, start bidding up Mamiya lenses. Old man at the online antique store can't believe his eyes. "Mabel, we're rich!" Two more midwesterners start planning their move to Florida.
I paid $140 last night for the Mamiya 60mm f2.8 Macro on ebay.

Funny: I spent some hours in Oct and Nov lurking ebay for this lens. As you are all aware I'm sure, that aspect of the hobby can get old fast. I gave up after Thanksgiving and ignored ebay for the next month, during which time this happened: Tomioka for $50.

Dang it man!

I'm happy to have the Mamiya lens en route, and hope it is serviceable, but I must admit my covetous side would rather have had the Tomioka-marked Yashica at a third of the price. It's funny how that one got past everyone!

To my knowledge, the 60mm f2.8 Macro is available in 3 flavors. See attached images, borrowed from google image search.

I also have a Mamiya Sekor 55mm-1.8 en route, the early version with the silver ap ring.

I'll post some images once I recover from latest bout of LBA and start shooting again.

Attached Images

01-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #38
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSinOR Quote
LOL at this comment:

I paid $140 last night for the Mamiya 60mm f2.8 Macro on ebay.

Funny: I spent some hours in Oct and Nov lurking ebay for this lens. As you are all aware I'm sure, that aspect of the hobby can get old fast. I gave up after Thanksgiving and ignored ebay for the next month, during which time this happened: Tomioka for $50.

Dang it man!

I'm happy to have the Mamiya lens en route, and hope it is serviceable, but I must admit my covetous side would rather have had the Tomioka-marked Yashica at a third of the price. It's funny how that one got past everyone!

To my knowledge, the 60mm f2.8 Macro is available in 3 flavors. See attached images, borrowed from google image search.

I also have a Mamiya Sekor 55mm-1.8 en route, the early version with the silver ap ring.

I'll post some images once I recover from latest bout of LBA and start shooting again.

congrats - that is a great price for this lens...

yes: I've seen this flavor of lens in three distinct labels: Rikenon, Tomioka, and Mamiya...
01-27-2019, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #39

To save some potential headaches for other addicts, when participating in the 2019 Mamiya lens-rush, do not buy the following thinking that they will fit M42:

Mamiya Sekor CS or Sears/Sekor CS marked lenses. These are a proprietary Mamiya bayonet for NC1000 and Auto Sears CS cameras. Mamiya purportedly made an M42 adaptor for this bayonet, but they must be rare and hard to find.

Mamiya Sekor SX - this is not a standard M42; it requires aperture-ring flange-grinding to fit M42.

Mamiya Sekor E or EF lenses: these are ZE mount.

There may be other M.S. SLR lens incompatibilities, but these are the ones I know of.

Have fun!

---------- Post added 01-27-19 at 02:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
congrats - that is a great price for this lens...

yes: I've seen this flavor of lens in three distinct labels: Rikenon, Tomioka, and Mamiya...
Thanks. Your thread is the reason I renewed my search! :-)

Nice pics BTW. The street scene is technically superb. The silo landscape is not (limited by atmospheric) and yet it is one of my favorites from what you posted. Great composition. Simple but alluring result.

I suspect all 3 versions are identical and Tomioka inside and out.

The myriad early Japanese business interrelationships are often confounding, but also often beneficial!

I still can't believe that Yashinon went for fifty bucks!
01-27-2019, 08:10 PM - 5 Likes   #40
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

01-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
YO ! Just FOUND this thread ! I too have some Mamiya lenses -- Medium Format and lately given a Sekor SX M42 35mm f2.8 -- just got a couple of 'preliminary Tests' on a second Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F given to me . I will show some pics ---

Sekor SX 35mm f2.8 at f5.6 - Film is old 2001 dated Fuji Press 800 OK for 'Tests'
she does seem to Happy
01-28-2019, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #42

Cemetery (K-1 + Mamiya Sekor C 80mm ƒ/1.9) #SOOC

01-29-2019, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
Hmmm, I have a Mamiya Sekor C 80mm ƒ/1.9 for 645 and there are adapters to PK. Would that work with a K-1? Covers the full frame? What focal length would that translate to?
The 80/f 1.9 is said to be the fastest medium format lens ever produced, equivalent to about f 0.8 translated into K-mount terms full-frame terms. These are easily adaptable to the K-1/K-3 format cameras using a simple, readily available adapter, and the lens is a stand-out low-light performer except perhaps for slightly rough bokeh. All the Mamiya C lenses offer fantastic all-metal build quality, and all offer excellent K-mount performance, though not necessarily better than their cognate Pentax focal length matches. They do benefit on the K-mount cameras from the fact that only the best inner-circle portion of the lens is used, though of course all are manual focus lenses. I have six of these in hand, and will be trying them out and posting the results on this thread. I am not a lens technician by any means, so mostly will let the photos speak for themselves. The ones I have so far include: 45mm f 2.8, 80mm f 1.9, 80mm f 4.0 macro, 150 f 3.5, 210mm f 4.0, and 300mm f 5.6.

As for focal lengths, these of course do not change depending upon the camera format used. However, the size of the image circle does change since smaller format cameras use only a portion of the available image circle. With that caveat being said, the Mamiya 80mm f 1.9 lens, when used on a Mamiya 645 medium format camera is pretty much the "normal" lens, offering about the same image circle as a full-frame 50mm lens offers on the K-1 camera. However, if you place the 80/1.9 on a full-frame camera like the K-1 its image circle is about that of a native K-mount full-frame lens of approximately 128mm, so it acts more like a Pentax 135mm lens. On a crop sensor APS-C camera like the K-3, the image circle then becomes similar to that offered by a 200mm DA-type lens (192mm actually).

Well cared for copies of the Mamiya 80mm f 1.9 seem to be selling on eBay in the $200-300 range.

Hoping these comments are helpful, and will be pleased to respond to any specific questions you may have.
01-29-2019, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
With that caveat being said, the Mamiya 80mm f 1.9 lens, when used on a Mamiya 645 medium format camera is pretty much the "normal" lens, offering about the same image circle as a full-frame 50mm lens offers on the K-1 camera. However, if you place the 80/1.9 on a full-frame camera like the K-1 its image circle is about that of a native K-mount full-frame lens of approximately 128mm, so it acts more like a Pentax 135mm lens.
I read some place else that the Mamiya middle format 80mm is simply a 80mm on 35 full frame. (Because it's like 50mm on middle format). From the results of my copy on the K-1 i would say that's about right.

The results are crisp. It's probably the sharpest lens on my K-1 now.
01-29-2019, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
I read some place else that the Mamiya middle format 80mm is simply a 80mm on 35 full frame. (Because it's like 50mm on middle format). From the results of my copy on the K-1 i would say that's about right.

The results are crisp. It's probably the sharpest lens on my K-1 now.
An 80mm lens is an 80mm lens no matter which camera it is installed on. That part does not change. What does change is the field of view (FOV). This occurs because a smaller format camera is not capable of displaying the whole image created by the 80mm lens, only a portion of it. The portion that is captured by the smaller format camera represents a lesser FOV which confusingly can be though of as the same FOV of a different lens. However, it is only the FOV that changes, not the lens designation per se.

The Mamiya 80mm installed on its native camera (the Mamiya 645) has an image circle similar to a 50mm lens when installed on the K-1.
The Mamiya 80mm on the Pentax K-1 full-frame camera has an image circle similar to a full-frame 135mm lens when installed on the K-1.

When I get a chance, I will take shots for each of the two situations for the purpose of illustration and post on this thread.