Pentaxian

Pentax 105/2.4

Rollei Retro 80S

11-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Couple shots with 645Z and CZJ Biometar 80mm f 1.8 (Zebra version).
Nice images. Are the zebra models more desirable?

Thanks,
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 11-13-2020 at 09:58 PM.
11-14-2020, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Thanks,
barondla
Correction: The Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar lens is f 2.8, not f 1.8. The only medium format lens I have heard of with an aperture even near f 1.8 is the Mamiya-N 80mm f 1.9, which has been said to be the fastest medium format lens ever produced.

As for the Zebra version of the CZJ 80/2.8, I would have to a little research to give you a definitive answer. However, I would say that for many of the CZJ lenses, the Zebra versions were intermediate versions, generally with the same optical formlae as earlier and later versions, but sometimes lacking optical lens coatings, making them somewhat subject to flare. This particular lens has an 8-blade aperture shutter, silver in color, another feature that contributes to flare unless the lens is carefully used relative to the sun and used only with an adequate hood.

Here is an interesting article about the Biometar 80mm, though it is a little unclear whether it is discussing the medium format version or a full-frame version, so the points it makes have to be interpreted accordingly.

Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm 2.8 | Vintage Camera Lenses

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 02:39 AM ----------

Thanks,
barondla
Here is a second article that is specific to the medium format P6 Biometar 80/2.8, and which is directly relevant to your questions.

Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 2.8 80 for Pentacon Six | Vintage Camera Lenses
11-14-2020, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Carl Zeiss Jena BM 120mm f 2.8, MC

Following up on Barondla's post, I will mention that I also have the CZJ 120mm f 2.8 MC also in P6 mount. It is the sister lens to the CZJ 80/2.8. This lens has a very similar lens construction but with multicoating and blackened aperture blades. It is the version produced after the Zebra versions of both lens. I am attaching a few flash photos from the lens (because I am writing at night and cannot go outside to do some snaps). These are at f 8.0, ASA 100 and 1/80 sec. and taken with the Pentax 645Z and Pentax AF200T flash unit. I find the photo incredibly sharp. Apologies for not shooting at f 2.8 in keeping with the spirit of this club, but needed to do so to accommodate flash photography. I will do some f 2.8 photos when day light arrives.

Here is a review of the lens: Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 120 2.8 | Vintage Camera Lenses

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
11-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #20

Following up on Barondla's post, I will mention that I also have the CZJ 120mm f 2.8 MC also in P6 mount. It is the sister lens to the CZJ 80/2.8. This lens has a very similar lens construction but with multicoating and blackened aperture blades. It is the version produced after the Zebra versions of both lens. I am attaching a few flash photos from the lens (because I am writing at night and cannot go outside to do some snaps). These are at f 8.0, ASA 100 and 1/80 sec. and taken with the Pentax 645Z and Pentax AF200T flash unit. I find the photo incredibly sharp. Apologies for not shooting at f 2.8 in keeping with the spirit of this club, but needed to do so to accommodate flash photography. I will do some f 2.8 photos when day light arrives.

Here is a review of the lens: Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 120 2.8 | Vintage Camera Lenses
That is an enviable gear box shot!
11-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acoulter Quote
That is an enviable gear box shot!
Thank you. I could probably buy a new car (of a smaller and cheaper brand) for the amount spent on photographic gear! However, I do not do it (buy a new car), and instead content myself with driving a 15-year-old Toyota with about 210,000 miles on it while looking over the Zeiss and Leica lens offerings on eBay! It is all a matter timing and priorities.
11-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your military service. It is greatly appreciated.

The info and links were very enjoyable and informative. The reviews were positive on all the lenses. One thing confuses me. Are the 35 and medium format lenses totally different or did Zeiss use the same mf lens for all, and merely change the back lens mount? I will keep an eye out for an 80mm and likely pick one up. Looks like fun.

The box stash is great!

Thanks for sharing,
barondla

11-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A few shots with the CZJ Bm 120mm f 2.8.

A few short landscapes with the Pentax 645Z and Carl Zeiss Jena Bm 120mm f 2.8 MC, all at f 2.8. This is the East German version of the Zeiss 120mm Biometar.

I am neither a copyist who seeks to achieve a precise replication of a given object or scene, nor a skilled and learned digital technocrat who seeks to arrange the pixels with precision in order to obtain edge-to-edge clarity. My aim instead is to evoke an intangible feeling or reaction to the tangible objects portrayed. After all, anyone who almost always shoots with the barn door wide open (from f 1.2 to f 2.8) needs some justification for doing so. I evaluate lenses based on how well they aid me in accomplishing my photographic aims. Some lens that pixel peekers would reject out of hand are good for me; some which are masterpieces in terms of clarity and precision I do not find useful, the Pentax D FA 50mm f 2.8 macro, for example, though it is my lens of choice for copy work or other tasks where clarity/sharpness are needed. I find the CZJ 120mm to be a useful lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
11-14-2020, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Closeups with the CZJ Zeiss Bm 120mm f 2.8 MC.

Here are some closeups from our frosty weather at daybreak today. As usual they are all with the 645Z, at f 2.8, handheld, SOC except minor trimming to adjust framing, and mostly at MFD.

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 11:15 AM ----------

The info and links were very enjoyable and informative. The reviews were positive on all the lenses. One thing confuses me. Are the 35 and medium format lenses totally different or did Zeiss use the same mf lens for all, and merely change the back lens mount? I will keep an eye out for an 80mm and likely pick one up. Looks like fun.

The box stash is great!

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
Thank you very much. I enjoyed serving in the artillery, and in my mind, even at the age of 80, can still work every position on the 105 and 155mm howitzers. There are, in my mind, few things more impressive (or louder) than an entire battalion of howitzers, about 25 big guns, opening up, time on target, on a preregistered site that a forward observer says has just received an influx of enemy soldiers. The queen of battle speaks as armies of infantry listen, and her voice shakes the ground and restores peace.

I cannot definitively answer your question about the 80 and 120mm lens construction. Here, however, is a drawing that may be useful. I believe the optics would be quite similar since both bear the Biometar appellation.

http://allphotolenses.com/public/files/pdfs/47d77284cd4e27bbcae60f2f078f19d4.pdf

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 11:24 AM ----------

The box stash is great!

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
I located this further statement of possible interest:

"Both the 80 and 120mm Auto Biometars are basically converted lenses from medium format, redesigned to fit the Exakta 35mm camera. They are probably some of the scarcest automatic diaphragn lenses in Exakta mount from Carl Zeiss Jena.

I utilize the 80mm Biometar extensively for portrait photography. It is a fantastic lens and I highly recommend it.

Various versions of both lenses pictured exist."
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
11-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are some closeups from our frosty weather at daybreak today. As usual they are all with the 645Z, at f 2.8, handheld, SOC except minor trimming to adjust framing, and mostly at MFD.

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 11:15 AM ----------

Thank you very much. I enjoyed serving in the artillery, and in my mind, even at the age of 80, can still work every position on the 105 and 155mm howitzers. There are, in my mind, few things more impressive (or louder) than an entire battalion of howitzers, about 25 big guns, opening up, time on target, on a preregistered site that a forward observer says has just received an influx of enemy soldiers. The queen of battle speaks as armies of infantry listen, and her voice shakes the ground and restores peace.

I cannot definitively answer your question about the 80 and 120mm lens construction. Here, however, is a drawing that may be useful. I believe the optics would be quite similar since both bear the Biometar appellation.

http://allphotolenses.com/public/files/pdfs/47d77284cd4e27bbcae60f2f078f19d4.pdf
Magical images. So delicate looking. Feel sorry for the roses dealing with frostbite. Frost adds a lot to these photos. Your images have moved the lens up in my list.

Can't imagine the sound of 25 howitzers going off in unison.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
11-14-2020, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Magical images. So delicate looking. Feel sorry for the roses dealing with frostbite. Frost adds a lot to these photos. Your images have moved the lens up in my list.

Can't imagine the sound of 25 howitzers going off in unison.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
Th
ank you, glad you like the images.

Yes, there is quite a din under full battalion fire, but of course it is only noise, and much worse at the other end, what we call the point of impact.
11-14-2020, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Few more with the CZJ Bm 80mm f 2.8.

A few garden shots with the CZJ Biometar 80mm f 2.8, single coated. This lens is well liked by many portrait and wedding photographers, and capable of delicate rendering with interesting, sometimes whirly, bokeh. This lens is the medium format version of the 80mm, but here presented on the K-1. I believe it works well on the full frame, though there is a sister CZJ 80mm f 2.8 designed specifically for the full-frame format.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-16-2020, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few garden shots with the CZJ Biometar 80mm f 2.8, single coated. This lens is well liked by many portrait and wedding photographers, and capable of delicate rendering with interesting, sometimes whirly, bokeh. This lens is the medium format version of the 80mm, but here presented on the K-1. I believe it works well on the full frame, though there is a sister CZJ 80mm f 2.8 designed specifically for the full-frame format.
More beautiful images. The red rose and purple flower images are very 3 dimensional. You are really making the len perform.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
11-16-2020, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
More beautiful images. The red rose and purple flower images are very 3 dimensional. You are really making the len perform.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
Thank you very much.
11-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Nice flowers, ivanvernon