LBA is raising its ugly head once again

10-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
in my humble opinion

the XS is the best lens in its class [ of one ]

I currently own 2 of the 5 lenses - the XS and SMC 40mm Limited
I'm kind of proud I still have the lens cap for it )

Guessing I'm about to lose it now

I have the M the FA SMC Limited and the XS

2 more to go LBA ahead
10-19-2019, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Archive shot from last year ... I should have saved this for a couple of weeks, never mind this was taken during last Novembers single in. What a cracking lens

10-19-2019, 03:12 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Archive shot from last year ... I should have saved this for a couple of weeks, never mind this was taken during last Novembers single in. What a cracking lens
you used the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS for that photo, correct ?

10-19-2019, 04:02 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI, there is a long running thread related to the DA 40mm XS, with many great pictures showing off the high quality and versality in this most compact of lenses. I will never part with my copy.
10-19-2019, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FYI, there is a long running thread related to the DA 40mm XS, with many great pictures showing off the high quality and versality in this most compact of lenses. I will never part with my copy.
yes, when we were discussing a 40mm lens club, we were aware of that

but decided it would be nice to have another thread where it would be easy to compare images from the Pentax 40mms plus the 43mm limited in one place

x posting is encouraged.

______________________-

personally I would love to know if there is any difference in the optics for the pentax 40mms

the XS and limiteds are suppose to be the same

how about the older 40mm

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-19-2019 at 04:33 AM.
10-19-2019, 04:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes indeedy I did the single in with the xs last November and have the pics segregated. I also checked before posting......but now I am feeling a little paranoid, so I am off to check again

10-19-2019, 05:00 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Yes indeedy I did the single in with the xs last November and have the pics segregated. I also checked before posting......but now I am feeling a little paranoid, so I am off to check again
f the EXIF doesn't show, please indicate what lens was used

thanks
10-19-2019, 05:00 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, exif confirms 40mm xs and K3

Phew
10-19-2019, 07:20 AM - 4 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

SMC DA40 Limited f2.8 lens I never use any longer

Ben Crom dam from the middle of Silent Valley reservoir, Mourne Mountains, County Down, Ireland.

This was a dry summer with the water low, right now I would be submerged

I bought the HD DA 20-40 Limited and never used this little lens again. I was fed up changing lenses in the field and getting pollen all over the sensor each trip in these windy mountains.

The HD 20-40 Limited is stellar with brilliant flare resistance, the SMC DA40 was not good for photographing with the sun in or near the frame because of lens flare, however otherwise it is a great little landscape lens and good for astro landscapes wide open at f2.8. The ability for astro landscapes is the only reason I still have it.

Are 40mm photos from the HD DA 20-40 Limited allowed in this thread? There is a dedicated thread for it but it isn't that popular, I'd love to post here if it gains traction as an active daily thread.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
10-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's great to see the 40mm XS getting a promotion to a thread with other great lenses in this class perhaps now it will be best in a class of 3
10-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Ben Crom dam from the middle of Silent Valley reservoir, Mourne Mountains, County Down, Ireland.

I bought the HD DA 20-40 Limited and never used this little lens again. I was fed up changing lenses in the field and getting pollen all over the sensor each trip in these windy mountains.

The HD 20-40 Limited is stellar with brilliant flare resistance, the SMC DA40 was not good for photographing with the sun in or near the frame because of lens flare, however otherwise it is a great little landscape lens and good for astro landscapes wide open at f2.8. The ability for astro landscapes is the only reason I still have it.

Are 40mm photos from the HD DA 20-40 Limited allowed in this thread? There is a dedicated thread for it but it isn't that popular, I'd love to post here if it gains traction as an active daily thread.
Sorry this is for prime lenses only

Try the " DA Limited " thread as well as the 20-40 zoom.thread
10-19-2019, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was inspired to get my XS out. First thing I did was a little iso test on my KP. This is at iso 12800. I am rather impressed.

So, then I plonked it on my K3 and went for a walk. Rather typically it started to rain. The cool thing about this lens is that it makes the K3 pocketable, albeit in a jacket. Nice thing is, the rain gave me a bit more nice detail. 1/1000, f2.8, iso200

10-19-2019, 02:27 PM - 11 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote

Beat me to it.

I used to own the 40XS, it was a great little lens, impressive for the size of it. There are a few niggles I had with mine however, the focus ring for one is very loose compared to other lenses, and mounting it on and off was tricky (it felt fiddlier and I worried about the strain on the focus ring when taking it on and off as it's almost impossible not to impact it).

But it is a great lens. I have seen magazine fashion level shots performed with it on the K-1, it's no slouch.

I went much the direction of nocturnal. Eventually I needed something else, the HD 15 and 21 and 40XS were all missing something... WR, and so I bought the 20-40 as well. Couldn't be happier. I thought f4 at 40mm would be a bit of a let down but in truth it's not been that big a deal. The rounded aperture blades really assist in providing pleasing oof areas.

The idea of this thread is an interesting one. I'm not sure of it's intent or purpose, the FA43 simply beats it the DA40 in every way except size and weight perhaps. The price tag reflects this also. A DA40 cannot do f1.9 and thus is already behind the 8 ball for a number shooting situations (low light, lower ISO capability leading to higher IQ, more pronounced bokeh, higher levels of subject isolation blah blah blah).

I have the FA43 and 20-40, my 40XS was sold to help fund these purchases. What I think this thread would benefit from would be some comparison shots, has anyone got a FA43 and DA40?

Seeing as nocturnal shared a cheeky 20-40mm shot, so shall I (sorry nocturnal for bringing up this image again, but perhaps the people here will find this interesting).

Below is an image shot on the KP, one of the shots is taken with the FA43 @f4, the other the 20-40 set to 40mm and also f4. What we're analysing here is the difference in bokeh quality;

Can you guess which side is the 20-40 shot and which the 43? Would be interesting to do similar comparison shots with a DA40 and 43

Sorry this is for prime lenses only

Try the " DA Limited " thread as well as the 20-40 zoom.thread
I think that makes sense, I mean if you let zooms in at 40mm we have opened a whole can of worms and so many other lenses can start to make appearances here.

I have actually made a FA43 album as it's one of my favourite pieces of glass (my workhorse), you're welcome to view the shots over here >> Behance

I'll share/embed a couple more here in this thread as well;

Here's a couple of older shots when I had the DA40XS (my editing skills were not as polished as the more recent shots above.

Thanks!

BB
10-19-2019, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
The idea of this thread is an interesting one. I'm not sure of it's intent or purpose. . .
for what it is worth - this thread was initially going to be one for the Pentax 40mm F2.8 primes only: the original 40 pancake, the SMC 40mm Limited, the 40mm XS and HD 40mm Limiteds

then it was suggested it would be nice to include the 43mm Limited and the reasons for that was discussed

we knew the differences between the quality of the lenses, the different physical built of the lenses, the price of the lenses

no concern about those issues, no desire to claim which was better. or which was cheaper or more expensive

just post the images, so if someone couldn't afford one of the lenses, they could determine what might be possible with one of the included lens that they could afford

[ as an example my first Pentax 40mm F2.8 was the XS then I got the SMC Limited. both to me have advantages and disadvantages ]

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
. . . I think that makes sense, I mean if you let zooms in at 40mm we have opened a whole can of worms and so many other lenses can start to make appearances here.. . .
finally the discussion was about including zooms so long as they were used at 40mm - whether that was the wide end or far end of the zoom

It was decided to not include zooms in this thread.

so that is what it is -

a thread about the 40mm F2.8 and 43mm F1.9 primes lenses made by Pentax

we hope members enjoy it and members contribute to it if you have one of those lenses

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-19-2019 at 03:07 PM.