Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wouldn't have guessed vignetting was added. The only thing I've tried the 110 lenses on is the Pentax Q. Need to explore more. Thanks for the motivation.

Since you like adapted lenses so much have you ever adapted any security camera lenses? I took a beautiful Fujifilm 2.7mm f1.8 fisheye out of one and use it on the Pentax Q and Olympus EP-L1(m4/3). The lens takes sharp photos and is so cool looking.

Thanks,
barondla
Hi again. Are you referring to C-mount lenses?

I have a few stored in junk boxes up in the attic. They were picked up here and there at my thrift store. I never had any real luck with them on DSLR's, but that's normal due to the registration distances involved.

I had thought briefly about the C-mounts, plus some junky 8mm movie gear ... maybe I should ramble back up there in that attic.

01-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote

I have a few stored in junk boxes up in the attic. They were picked up here and there at my thrift store. I never had any real luck with them on DSLR's, but that's normal due to the registration distances involved.

I had thought briefly about the C-mounts, plus some junky 8mm movie gear ... maybe I should ramble back up there in that attic.
Yes this lens is a C mount. It came out of a security camera. You will need a mirrorless to make it focus anywhere near infinity, I use it full frame on a Pentax Q7 and as a circular fisheye on the Olympus EL-P1 m4/3. Have also seen it used on Sony. It is such a cool looking lens and performs very well. It actually has a few feet wider field of view than the real Pentax Q fisheye. The Q will even take 8mm D lenses with slight vignetting.

Looked at your projector lens club and will try some shots . Have a Kodak zoom and a Leica prime to try.
thanks,
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-07-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wouldn't have guessed vignetti have you ever adapted any security camera lenses? I took a beautiful Fujifilm 2.7mm f1.8 fisheye out of one and use it on the Pentax Q and Olympus EP-L1(m4/3). The lens takes sharp photos and is so cool looking.
Full coverage of m43 sensor?
01-07-2020, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

No, it is a circular fisheye image on m4/3. Lens is amazing for the price. There are a few things to consider.
1. No aperture adjustment. Lens is alway's wide open at f 1.8. So bright sunny day requires ISO 100 or lower and shutter speed of 1/2000 or faster.
2. No focusing ring. The lens can be uncrewed from the C mount adapter to adjust infinity focus. At 2.7mm the dof is amazing.
thanks,
barondla

Read more at: Pentax-110 system film lenses on APS-C - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL1  Photo 
01-07-2020, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, it is a circular fisheye image on m4/3. Lens is amazing for the price. There are a few things to consider.
1. No aperture adjustment. Lens is alway's wide open at f 1.8. So bright sunny day requires ISO 100 or lower and shutter speed of 1/2000 or faster.
2. No focusing ring. The lens can be uncrewed from the C mount adapter to adjust infinity focus. At 2.7mm the dof is amazing.
thanks,
barondla

Read more at: Pentax-110 system film lenses on APS-C - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
That's still way cool.
01-08-2020, 09:36 PM - 3 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Yes this lens is a C mount. It came out of a security camera. You will need a mirrorless to make it focus anywhere near infinity, I use it full frame on a Pentax Q7 and as a circular fisheye on the Olympus EL-P1 m4/3. Have also seen it used on Sony. It is such a cool looking lens and performs very well. It actually has a few feet wider field of view than the real Pentax Q fisheye. The Q will even take 8mm D lenses with slight vignetting.

Looked at your projector lens club and will try some shots . Have a Kodak zoom and a Leica prime to try.
thanks,
barondla
If I may stray off the thread topic, a bit...(sorry Jean!)

Something I've come across that this lens would probably work well for is a fisheye macro relay lens. This version is by John Hallmen. It involves using a reversed wide angle lens and extension tubes between the fisheye security camera lens and the camera body. The image in the viewfinder is dark and inverted, but the intervening optics and tubes allow the lens to cover at least APS-C frame size. More details of Hallmen's approach here: DIY ? Macro fisheye | Oryctes nasicornis, European rhinocero? | Flickr

I'd really like to try this technique myself; I've got just about everything I would need except the fisheye optic. They're not expensive either. Just haven't got to it!

---------- Post added 01-08-20 at 11:44 PM ----------

But it is interesting to see what can be done with the larger sensor with these tiny lenses. I wonder if reversed they might make good macro shooters.
(Getting back on subject...) I'm curious to see how these 110 lenses perform in reverse for macro shooting, too. Reverse stacking on longer lenses might produce interesting results as well. Looking forward to what you do with them.
01-08-2020, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

thanks,
barondla

Hey you could shoot a beastie boys music video with that!

01-08-2020, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

I've had excellent results from reversed D mount 8mm lenses for macro shooting, mostly a Kinotel 1.5" f1.9, usually on extension. Challenging but lots of fun! (Early results before I figured out flash diffusion, and the closer shots in this post). Reversed C mount lenses from 16mm cameras should give better working distance than 8mm lenses.
01-13-2020, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Hope this is allowed. Panasonic Lumix GH-3 MFT with Auto 110 50mm lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GH3  Photo 
01-13-2020, 03:28 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Hope this is allowed. Panasonic Lumix GH-3 MFT with Auto 110 50mm lens.
Thanks for your post ... for me, all's good no matter what APS-C (even 4/3? or other)is used.

Hope to see more soon.
03-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just saw this ... intresting.

DPR video on Pentax-110 lenses on APS-C ...

DPReview TV: Shoot Pentax 110 lenses on Micro Four Thirds!: Digital Photography Review
03-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just saw this ... intresting.

DPR video on Pentax-110 lenses on APS-C ...

DPReview TV: Shoot Pentax 110 lenses on Micro Four Thirds!: Digital Photography Review
I can't open the video right now but I'm confused that the title says m43 but you say apsc.
03-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can't open the video right now but I'm confused that the title says m43 but you say apsc.
Yeah ... my error.

It's m43, but still interesting.
03-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah ... my error.

It's m43, but still interesting.
It is a very interesting use and as an M43 shooter (along with apsc Pentax) I have considered it.
03-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #45

Salut Jean,

Some great shots in this thread.

There are some comments about the video on DPReview to the effect that without some sort of aperture disc you are shooting with the lens "wide open" ie wider than the f/2.8 it was designed for and as a result image quality is degraded. Certainly I have found the bokeh unpleasant when I use the 18mm without an aperture. You don't mention this, have you not found it to be a problem?

Richard