Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2020, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hi, without any modification, I would vote for the 50/2.8 ... best "all arounder" without any modification(s).

I like the center sharpness of the 24/2.8, but the edges are terrible. Maybe a "street" type lens if one is looking for this type of fall-off.

And as I wrote above, the 18mm is quite nice and a lot better modified to close it down a bit.

Cheers, J
Hi Jean,

If I understand correctly you have opened up an 18mm inserted an aperture disc inside. How easy is it to open the lens? Are there instructions on the web somewhere? And how do you hold the aperture disc in place inside the lens?

The problem I find with discs outside the lens is they move. The sticky strengtheners are more stable than lens baby discs but I've been using them for some time now and they are not as firmly stuck as they were. I don't want one to fall inside the camera.

Regards

Richard

11-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #62
Pentaxian

That was my thought as well, being afraid that the disk would fall into the camera, either my LUMIX or even the Auto 110 which I still use sometimes. Might head to a craft store and see if the sell punches for scrap booking that will punch small clean holes of varying sizes. Then punch some strips of tape, sharpie to blacken.
11-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rpats Quote
Hi Jean,

If I understand correctly you have opened up an 18mm inserted an aperture disc inside. How easy is it to open the lens? Are there instructions on the web somewhere? And how do you hold the aperture disc in place inside the lens?

The problem I find with discs outside the lens is they move. The sticky strengtheners are more stable than lens baby discs but I've been using them for some time now and they are not as firmly stuck as they were. I don't want one to fall inside the camera.

Regards

Richard
Hi Richard,

Yes, I opened the 18mm lens and inserted a DIY aperture disk using black electrical tape with a small hole punched in the center ... the smaller than normal hole punch was from a hobby store. I did this on my own and I have never seen any Web videos about this intervention. Maybe I should make another one with more of the pin-hole type aperture and document the intervention for this thread. Give me a bit of time ... as I remember, the disk is snug inside because it is squeezed between the lens housing halves.

Personally, I would not worry too much about the sticky disk falling into the sensor housing of a mirror-less camera. Easy to fish back out or just turn the body upside-down and shake. I think that this happened to me at least once ... and it gave me a bit more of the idea to insert the disk inside the lens.

Cheers, John
11-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
That was my thought as well, being afraid that the disk would fall into the camera, either my LUMIX or even the Auto 110 which I still use sometimes. Might head to a craft store and see if the sell punches for scrap booking that will punch small clean holes of varying sizes. Then punch some strips of tape, sharpie to blacken.
Hi ... my hole punch was a kind of scrap-booking item. And I use black electrical tape as mentioned above.

"Salut", John

11-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had wondered about the washers falling off. Good to know it wasn't an idle worry.
11-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The last shot is stunning. They are all good but that one really is amazing.
Agreed. Bravo!
11-20-2021, 01:49 AM - 3 Likes   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to restart a 12 month old thread but I just purchased an X-E1 and put the 110 50mm/2.8 on it as well as the Pentax matching close up lens/filter. Just testing...

11-20-2021, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by wirrah Quote
Sorry to restart a 12 month old thread but I just purchased an X-E1 and put the 110 50mm/2.8 on it as well as the Pentax matching close up lens/filter. Just testing...
Don't apologise...nice shot! Something about the way they render colours makes these lenses great for flower photography, especially with a close up filter.
I have the close up filter for my 24mm, I will post a few of mine.
11-21-2021, 12:30 AM - 3 Likes   #69

Don't apologise...nice shot! Something about the way they render colours makes these lenses great for flower photography, especially with a close up filter.
As per previous post
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL8  Photo 
11-21-2021, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As per previous post
If it stops raining and the sun comes out tomorrow I'll try some more tests. But, at the moment it's a very wet spring!
11-24-2021, 12:00 AM - 4 Likes   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's still raining so no flowers. This is Iseult (Izzy for short) shying away from being photographed by the funny looking camera. Fujifilm X-E1, Pentax-110 50mm/2.8

11-24-2021, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of these lenses pass UV well. That might be part of their charm with flowers.
Thanks,
barondla
11-27-2021, 05:39 PM - 4 Likes   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So it finally stopped raining (well properly raining anyway). Testing a few camera/lens combinations. This is the 110 50mm with the close up lens on the X-E1

Last edited by wirrah; 11-30-2021 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Spelling!