Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Juplen 135mm

I recently picked up a $10 as-is lens in the marketplace. It's a Juplen 135mm, which nobody's heard of, aparently. Google it, and you may find this post and not much else.

The seller didn't really know much about lenses, but I took a chance--shipping was actually more than the cost of the lens!

I took it out of its case, blew the disintegrated felt off of it and inspected it. Noticed right away that it had a busted element inside, so I wasn't hopeful.

But, hey, we've all seen worse, right?

So I put in the M42 adapter and started screwing the lens in. Seems the thread got bashed up a bit too, so it's not going all the way in (and the adapter cost more than the lens, so I lose infinity, no big deal.

It's a very cool looking lens, stainless and black, with an interesting aperture control near the front.

The lens cap is also cool, though the filter ring is damaged, so it won't go in. No problem. Still cool!

So, I take it into the back yard and point it at the pear tree, and it doesn't do a bad job. I would have stopped down a bit, but couldn't. In fact, I think the aperture blades have been completely removed at some point, so I think maybe they made the focus a bit loose when putting it back together, because the ring moves up and down a bit...

So, a few shots wide open at f/3.5!

100% crops:

So what exactly does hurt image quality?

Last edited by farfisa; 05-08-2009 at 07:45 AM.
05-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Got the Tammy back from Eric couple days ago - there's a lens group within the lens
that can't be removed or disassembled, it's manufactured and bolted together as
a unit in the factory, apparently (which is why Tamron judged it "not economically
feasible to repair.") Eric was able to clean the rest of the elements, however, and
it's about 80% cleaner than it was. (Eric didn't charge me, but I'll probably drop
him a couple buck if it tests out OK.)

Took it to the zoo today for a real test run (most are all ISO 800)

ISO 200, f/4, crop:

f/2.8, crop

ISO 200, f/6.7, tight crop

Jsherman,

These images are making me doubt my next purchase...I have it as the Sigma 70-200 after seeing the reviews and flicker images and the HSM of course, but Dang! these tammy images you are taking are spectacular, wow!
05-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Jsherman,

These images are making me doubt my next purchase...I have it as the Sigma 70-200 after seeing the reviews and flicker images and the HSM of course, but Dang! these tammy images you are taking are spectacular, wow!

Thanks! Those shots were taken after it had some water marks on two of the internal elements still. Dave (daacon) has that lens now.

It's a remarkable lens - there are some QC issues with both the Sigma 70-200 and Tamron 70-200 lenses, but they're not nearly as iffy as the DA* 16-50 was in it's bad old days - you're probably going to get a good one almost always.
11-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

The Halloween of 2008 is almost apon us. Ghouls, ghosts, and other
denizens of the underworld are beginning to wake, and walk the earth,
driven by their undying, insatiable hunger for.....

...Images?

Got a lens that was left for dead by you or another? Aperture blades frozen,
elements ridden with fungus, elements scratched... and yet... The lens still
lives?
WOW!

I'll swap you for my new toy - Leica Summilux 35/1.4 if the photographic eye comes included, Jay!

11-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
WOW!

I'll swap you for my new toy - Leica Summilux 35/1.4 if the photographic eye comes included, Jay!

Deal!

11-15-2010, 03:26 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So you guarantee I will take beautiful photos with that old fungus-ridden super-tak? Hmmm...

One thing I am sure about is that the Leica would get much more use in your hands (hey, your 35macro is way too slow!) so if you travel downunder for a photoshoot - you have free rental.

Last edited by DanielT74; 11-15-2010 at 03:37 AM.
05-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #52

buenas fotosĦĦ

05-15-2012, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

RIP. Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Domiplan 50 2.8

I spent yesterday afternoon taking you apart again because your aperture control broke. How thoughtful I am proving you with care and attention, so you may exist not as a relict of a forgotten time, but continue to be, to experience, to live and be loved! My dear little tessar.

Reinstalling the focus control with clean clear grease I note there is a little movement in the entire front ensemble. Investigating I find some little plastic lugs where the tip of my screw driver enters with ease, Taking the tension of the thread, nothing. You still stay together as one need plastic unit from 1965. "But I only want to help" I declare out-loud some hours later no closer to your secrets.

With frustration kicking in, the amount of play you have is enough to completely disengage the aperture control. I see now why you failed. Your plastic threads have worn, if you were made with metal shoes like your bigger brothers you would have survived,

A cookie triplet is no more. scratch one against the cosmos, for all the things you have seen are now hidden in the secretes of your past. my poor little tessar.

The last photo you ever took, checking to ensure the elements were clear. Sniff...

They were
06-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
RIP. Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Domiplan 50 2.8

I spent yesterday afternoon taking you apart again because your aperture control broke. How thoughtful I am proving you with care and attention, so you may exist not as a relict of a forgotten time, but continue to be, to experience, to live and be loved! My dear little tessar.

Reinstalling the focus control with clean clear grease I note there is a little movement in the entire front ensemble. Investigating I find some little plastic lugs where the tip of my screw driver enters with ease, Taking the tension of the thread, nothing. You still stay together as one need plastic unit from 1965. "But I only want to help" I declare out-loud some hours later no closer to your secrets.

With frustration kicking in, the amount of play you have is enough to completely disengage the aperture control. I see now why you failed. Your plastic threads have worn, if you were made with metal shoes like your bigger brothers you would have survived,

A cookie triplet is no more. scratch one against the cosmos, for all the things you have seen are now hidden in the secretes of your past. my poor little tessar.

The last photo you ever took, checking to ensure the elements were clear. Sniff...

They were
Sniff
12-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote

The photographic equivalent of Roy Batty's soliloquy at the end of Blade Runner. "Like tears in rain... time to die."

Epic.
12-30-2016, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

I decided to Single In my CZJ Tessar DDR 50/2.8 this month. After grinding the focus ring about for a few days, the aperture and focus mechanisms suddenly decided to stop working properly. As a result, the aperture blades would stick in one place, no matter how I moved the ring. And the focus ring would only move about 1cm either way. If I kept forcing it, then somehow it would then just move the aperture blades. So while I effectively lost infinity, I could change the aperture, albeit very clumsily.

Refusing to call it quits (and too scared to open it up after my helios debacle, where I took it apart and couldn't figure out how to put it back together again), I decided to stick with it, and just use live view and my hands to move the camera back and forth to take my shots for the month.

Here are a few of the results shots semi-wide open. I'm guessing around f3.5 or so. There's maybe a mm or 2 of aperture blades showing in the glass:

CZJ Tessar DDR 50-2/.8, k-s2
12-30-2016, 04:14 PM   #57
Veteran Member

It lives to live another day.
12-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here’s a few from my $5 nikkor-h 85mm 1.8. These are not surface scratches. they are deep gouges but the (sadly, recently stolen) k-2000 doesn’t seem to mind.
Attached Images

12-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #59
Veteran Member

A few more from Singles In Dec..

CZJ Tessar DDR 50/2.8, k-s2
12-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
A few more from Singles In Dec..

CZJ Tessar DDR 50/2.8, k-s2
Nice ones. Congrats on hanging in there with that crippled lens - and Happy New Year