Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
recent fetish shots:
The first version of the 90mm Macro and the 28mm really has a very special look.
I remember that I didn't like their square-ish aesthetic back then.
I had the 90mm and the two-touch 70-210mm f/3.5 zoom.
Both were very good performers at the time, but I sold them both. Maybe because I really didn't like the way they looked
Now I have the opposite feeling.
They look gorgeous.
I like the finely ribbed focusing rings. Most first gen Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses still have the rubber in wonderful shape (unlike the rubber rings of some other brand, which at times are sticky or loose).
My best compliments for your recent acquisitions!

I have a number of Adaptall-2 lenses. I like most of them, but I would be happier if I had the first version. Most of them are a little more recent, and it's quite evident that the construction of the barrel is not at the same level.

12-03-2018, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #302

This is one of the more impressive looking lenses in my collection - a Soligor 135mm F2 in M42 mount (I have two although one of them is pretty rough):
12-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #303
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
The first version of the 90mm Macro and the 28mm really has a very special look.
I remember that I didn't like their square-ish aesthetic back then.
I had the 90mm and the two-touch 70-210mm f/3.5 zoom.
Both were very good performers at the time, but I sold them both. Maybe because I really didn't like the way they looked
Now I have the opposite feeling.
They look gorgeous.
I like the finely ribbed focusing rings. Most first gen Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses still have the rubber in wonderful shape (unlike the rubber rings of some other brand, which at times are sticky or loose).
My best compliments for your recent acquisitions!

I have a number of Adaptall-2 lenses. I like most of them, but I would be happier if I had the first version. Most of them are a little more recent, and it's quite evident that the construction of the barrel is not at the same level.

I love the direction that Tamron took with Adaptall's styling...

and those are the 24mm lenses (01B and 01BB)...
12-03-2018, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #304
Pentaxian

I love the direction that Tamron took with Adaptall's styling...

and those are the 24mm lenses (01B and 01BB)...
I have the 01BB in front of me at the moment!
It came in perfect conditions and with PK/A mount.
It is not as fast and as sharp as the Samyang 1.4/24mm, but at medium apertures there is no practical difference, so when I'm not ready to carry huge, bulky lenses I'm perfectly fine using the Tamron instead.
Unfortunately I have three PK/A adapters only, that have to serve four Adaptall-2 lenses.
At the moment the 01BB is lending its ring to a Tamron SP 5.6/300mm that came with an Olympus adapter, which in turn is serving as body cap for the 24mm.
I guess I won't buy yet another PK/A Adaptall-2 ring cause the 300mm is a strange lens: its max aperture (f/5.6) is not correctly communicated to the camera. If I had a dedicated adapter I could paint a dot of enamel on the mount, so to isolate a pin on the camera, and get the correct aperture.
Though the 300mm is not in perfect condition, and PK/A adapters don't come cheap... so for the moment I'm swapping the mounts.
At home I have a dumb PK adapter that will work just fine on the 300mm.

12-23-2018, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #305
Pentaxian

Here is my fancy Soligor C/D P family.
There are a few missing relatives, but I filled the frame with a Soligor C/D f/5.6 400mm in PK mount. It was made by Sun, while all the C/D lenses with the red "P" were made by Tokina, and were never released in PK mount. All the three I have are M42.

From left to right,
C/D 5.6/400mm; C/D P 2/28mm; C/D P 2.8/200mm: C/D P 2/135mm

The 400mm is part of the picture because I had it on the table.
I just finished to repair it. It was already fixed, using the tip of a small wooden skewer that you see in the picture... but I got concerned about the solidity of such ridiculous solution, so I reopened the lens, took away the pin and a little washer, and used thin iron wire.
Now the lens works fine and I am not afraid anymore that something would get loose inside the lens at the wrong time
I had the tools out, some time left, and I decided to take care of an SMC Pentax 3.5/24mm that was purchased for a very decent price, but had internal fungus and haze.
The picture show the tool I use to take out (and reposition) the glass elements, especially the small ones.
It allows to sit the glass flat, or remove it when it's stuck.
It is a tool used in mechanical workshops, to lap the valves of four strokes engines.

I also tried to clean a nice Komura 2.5/105mm preset, in M42 mount.
The cleaning process had limited success. The glasses facing the diaphragm could not be reached. I didn't want to remove the diaphragm assembly nor the focusing helicoid. I will retry another time or leave it to the experienced hands of my friend/repairman.
Here is the biggest screw I had to deal with. The other set screws were simply microscopic

I hope all this qualifies as "fetish"...
01-02-2019, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #306
Pentaxian

Found this picture in my HD.
Shows the best of the crop of my collection of large format lenses.

The content is mostly made by large petzval/portrait/soft focus barrel lenses. The great majority has 8x10" coverage.
Most of those in shutter are in the plastic boxes barely visible on top, and in others containers stored elsewhere, together with smaller or less valuable objectives.
It's so sad. I hoped that large sensors, or at least scanning backs, would slowly become cheaper and more diffused.
Camera with movable standards have a lot to give, it's a pity that digital backs are still so expensive that only very few affluent enthusiasts and well paid pros can afford them.
Maybe one day the technology will allow to get large sensors wafers with no defects, and with low production cost.
If that day will come, maybe we will get 4x5", or even 5x7" digital backs at affordable prices.
I would love to see those wonderful lenses be brought back into practical use.
While I used the Linhof Technika and Bi-System 4x5" when I did still-life photography for ads and catalogs, I never used an 8x10" for work.
A few times I used an old Fatif 13x18cm, that's all. Never used anything bigger for a paid job.
Many years later I discovered how beautiful an 8x10" B&W contact print can be... and I got hooked
I have also seen great works done on self-coated paper or glass, using ultra large format cameras... but I was too lazy to get into that, so I mostly did 8x10" B&W film in my darkroom.
When I lost the darkroom I went fully digital, and all my analog gear is languishing

Here are my favorite pets, a DeVere Multi-Purpose 8x10" monorail, a Century Universal 8x10" folding, and an old Pettazzi studio camera that should date back to 1911 (the serial of the Heliar 36cm, sold with the camera, reveals the age of the combo). Unfortunately it is fitted with a sliding reduction back (the original 24x30cm back is missing).

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 01-02-2019 at 02:40 PM.
01-05-2019, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice 52B

.:

01-09-2019, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #308
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

01-09-2019, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In an attack of consumerism I bid on manual K mount bellows and it was only after I had won the auction that I started to realise that I did not own a single fully manual K mount lens (or at least one with an aperture ring).

So I looked through the usual channels and found an M 50/1.7 in a neighbouring city for an attractive price of 20€, complete with both caps and apparently from the original and until today only owner of it.

Now I haven't received the bellows yet, but I've got my first manual K mount lens
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
02-02-2019, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #310
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

02-16-2019, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #311
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

02-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Best looking Pentac medium format lens

HD Pentax-D FA 645 90mm f 2.8 Macro ED AW SR # 5970032
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-17-2019, 06:52 PM - 3 Likes   #313
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who's your Daddy?

02-21-2019, 03:37 AM   #314
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

02-21-2019, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #315
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Something from the 67

Pentax 67 75mm f 2.8. Sharp like the 75mm f 4.5 but faster.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by ivanvernon; 02-21-2019 at 06:28 AM. Reason: correction