Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2020, 01:45 PM - 4 Likes   #466
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Doubling up

One problem with having a collection of several different cameras and lenses is that you start to think about how they work together. For telephoto work, I have one moderate P67 telephoto that I have fallen love with, the redoubtable Pentax 67 200mm f 4.0. This great lens resolves as many lines as its stablemate, the Pentax 67 55mm f 4.0. The P67/200mm also has a commendable MFD for its focal length, only 150 cm, making it useful for more than just long-distance work. I decided to boost the 200/4 to 400mm by using a 2X rear converter. So the camera setup is: 645Z + 645 2X rear converter + P645 to P67 adapter + the P67 200mm f 4.0 lens + hood as shown by the first two photos.

I had no good long-distance photo ops, but will show a few of the flowers that I caught with this setup.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
10-04-2020, 11:21 PM - 3 Likes   #467
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I am up to about 112 nowadays, but do not plan to collect any more lenses except maybe two or three.
GRAND TOTAL: 112
I see your team of nice lenses has grown out of proportions since last time I checked
I have taken a sabbatical from this forum because of a number of reasons, mainly related to the pandemic, a forced change of country, etc, etc.
Given the availability of plenty of free time, I decided to use the lock down to fix the house where I'm currently living and in the process try to consolidate my huge collection of photographic equipments. I don't have enough room for the large format cameras and lenses, but at least I am almost done organizing and exposing my 35mm stuff (or at least finding a place for the stuff that can't be kept visible).
This process gave me the pleasure of finding/rediscovering lenses I had almost forgotten, especially some M42 or T-mount optics I haven't touched for at least two decades. Now I have just started trying to do the same for my medium format stuff.
Checking, cleaning, taking care of some fungus (either by myself or resorting to my friend/repairman), find a new space to store similar things together... all that has proven to be very pleasurable and rewarding. I really enjoyed it immensely
During all this time I've taken less pictures than usual, and I confess I have been involved more in collector's issues than with Pentax-specific stuff. As a result, I have taken a rather long leave from this forum.
Now I'm back, after a rather long time.
I checked this thread first, cause it's one of those I like the most, and found that in the meantime you have acquired quite a few great optics. My best compliments!
I express the same appreciation for Pepperberry Farm, who's got a number of fine new optics too (and posted some great lens p0rn). Well done, my brothers in Pentax
I don't have much to celebrate regarding new acquisitions, I bought only two or three lenses during 2020, but to my surprise I enjoyed immensely rediscovering old ones! They got dispersed in three different places over the years, and now are back together in a home better suited for their conservation.
After recovering them, going through each one, storing/dividing in plastic boxes, I finally am at the point with the renovation of the house that allows to find my most beloved lenses a display. I already posted some pics of my manual focus Pentax lenses on a temporary arrangement, now I have a shot of one side of the display (with original Pentax optics) that's almost finsl. The lenses are illuminated by a battery operated led strip, and for the occasion I have included the SMC Pentax 1:5.6 500mm on the side, on top of the case of an SMC Pentax-A Star 1:2.8 300mm, which is located on top of the display with its dedicated 2x-L converter. On top there are a few other lenses: a SMC Pentax-A 645 1:4 120mm Macro and a SMC Pentax 67 1:3.5 120mm Soft Focus, both with PK adapters, and my beloved Auto Takumar 1:1.8 85mm, which I believed was left in Thailand attracting fungus... and instead was found stored in a box with other M42 lenses
The other side of the display holds third party manual focus PK lenses. I will post the family portrait once I've given them some order...

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 10-04-2020 at 11:56 PM.
10-05-2020, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #468
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have fallen love with, the redoubtable Pentax 67 200mm f 4.0.
Forgot one thing about Pentax 6x7 lenses.
You seem to hold in great regard: the 200mm f/4.
I have the old version, called Takumar instead of SMC Pentax. I have never tried it on digital full frame cause I have a few very good optics in the same focal range, but your post made me guess if it's worth giving it a try.
What I don't remember is if the old version and the newer one share the same optical design. I always thought that the only difference was the design of the barrel... but now I'm not so sure I can trust my memory

---------- Post added 05-10-20 at 05:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I see you posted a number of nice pictures of odd lenses that seem to have been adapted to PK mount.
The lens Olympus OM lenses could be Leitax'ed... but I'm not sure about some others.
I am sure I wouldn't be the only one enjoying some details

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 10-05-2020 at 08:55 AM.
10-05-2020, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #469
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Forgot one thing about Pentax 6x7 lenses.
You seem to hold in great regard: the 200mm f/4.
I have the old version, called Takumar instead of SMC Pentax. I have never tried it on digital full frame cause I have a few very good optics in the same focal range, but your post made me guess if it's worth giving it a try.
What I don't remember is if the old version and the newer one share the same optical design. I always thought that the only difference was the design of the barrel... but now I'm not so sure I can trust my memory

---------- Post added 05-10-20 at 05:54 PM ----------

There are three versions of the P67/200. The first two takumar lenses are about the same: 4-4 optics, 250 MFD, f 4-22, and 67mm filter. The final version, which is the one I have, is different: 5-4 optics, 150 MFD, 4 4-32, and 77mm filter. Both seem to be rated quite high by Pentax Forum reviewers, though the final version seems a little higher. One reviewer rates the newer version as being on a par with the P67 55mm f 4.0 in sharpness. I think the 150 cm MFD of the newer version takes it out of the category of beiing a telephoto lens into a new and much more useful category of being a great and sharp general utility lens. It has given me some very credible results on my dahlias this season.

I see you posted a number of nice pictures of odd lenses that seem to have been adapted to PK mount.
The lens Olympus OM lenses could be Leitax'ed... but I'm not sure about some others.
Maybe this comment is not directed to me. I only have two Canon lenses that have been converted to K-mount and one Zeiss lens, the Carl Zeiss 100mm ZF f 2.0 Makro-Planar which has been Leitax'ed, as you say. All three of these lenses were worth the effort to convert, though I surely ought to use all three of them more than I do, especially the Zeiss, in order to justify the investment placed in them. The funds placed in these three lenses could alone sustain an active photographic shooting hobby with a good used camera and more modest cabinet of lenses.

It is good to hear from you. I have learned a good deal from you in the past, and hope to extend my knowledge further now that you have returned to the Forum.

---------- Post added 10-05-20 at 02:12 PM ----------

I see your team of nice lenses has grown out of proportions since last time I checked
I have taken a sabbatical from this forum because of a number of reasons, mainly related to the pandemic, a forced change of country, etc, etc.
Given the availability of plenty of free time, I decided to use the lock down to fix the house where I'm currently living and in the process try to consolidate my huge collection of photographic equipments. I don't have enough room for the large format cameras and lenses, but at least I am almost done organizing and exposing my 35mm stuff (or at least finding a place for the stuff that can't be kept visible).
This process gave me the pleasure of finding/rediscovering lenses I had almost forgotten, especially some M42 or T-mount optics I haven't touched for at least two decades. Now I have just started trying to do the same for my medium format stuff.
Checking, cleaning, taking care of some fungus (either by myself or resorting to my friend/repairman), find a new space to store similar things together... all that has proven to be very pleasurable and rewarding. I really enjoyed it immensely
During all this time I've taken less pictures than usual, and I confess I have been involved more in collector's issues than with Pentax-specific stuff. As a result, I have taken a rather long leave from this forum.
Now I'm back, after a rather long time.
I checked this thread first, cause it's one of those I like the most, and found that in the meantime you have acquired quite a few great optics. My best compliments!
I express the same appreciation for Pepperberry Farm, who's got a number of fine new optics too (and posted some great lens p0rn). Well done, my brothers in Pentax
I don't have much to celebrate regarding new acquisitions, I bought only two or three lenses during 2020, but to my surprise I enjoyed immensely rediscovering old ones! They got dispersed in three different places over the years, and now are back together in a home better suited for their conservation.
After recovering them, going through each one, storing/dividing in plastic boxes, I finally am at the point with the renovation of the house that allows to find my most beloved lenses a display. I already posted some pics of my manual focus Pentax lenses on a temporary arrangement, now I have a shot of one side of the display (with original Pentax optics) that's almost finsl. The lenses are illuminated by a battery operated led strip, and for the occasion I have included the SMC Pentax 1:5.6 500mm on the side, on top of the case of an SMC Pentax-A Star 1:2.8 300mm, which is located on top of the display with its dedicated 2x-L converter. On top there are a few other lenses: a SMC Pentax-A 645 1:4 120mm Macro and a SMC Pentax 67 1:3.5 120mm Soft Focus, both with PK adapters, and my beloved Auto Takumar 1:1.8 85mm, which I believed was left in Thailand attracting fungus... and instead was found stored in a box with other M42 lenses
The other side of the display holds third party manual focus PK lenses. I will post the family portrait once I've given them some order...

Nice to hear from you again. I think Pepperberry is outdoing all of us, raising the suspicion that he has tapped into some new source of income, maybe a legacy from an uncle or from oil leases, as is often the case down in Texas.

I am near completion of my set of Pentax 645 and 67 lenses, and there are no poor ones to be found. There are in fact around half a dozen great ones. I would set out the P645 90mm, the P645 120mm macro, and the P645 35mm as greats, and in the P67 batch I would include the P67 55mm f 4.0, the P67 100mm macro, the P67 105 f 2.4, and the P67 200mm in that category.

I have also been having fun with the Mamiya 645 C lenses, and have gathered up about a dozen of these really well-made, all-metal lenses. They are all generally quite good on the K-1, not having a registry distance that lets them be adapted to Pentax medium format cameras. Their design philosophy may have included the idea of giving up a stop from time to time to keep lens size manageable, so the lenses actually fit well on the K-1 and are a true tactile pleasure to use, all manual focus, of course. Standouts include the 55mm, 210mm, and the 120mm macro, the last being absolutely first rate as is its 80mm macro stablemate.

I will very much enjoy hearing any comments you might be able to offer on any of these lenses.

Keep your cameras and lenses ready and stay in touch.

10-05-2020, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #470
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to hear from you again. I think Pepperberry is outdoing all of us, raising the suspicion that he has tapped into some new source of income, maybe a legacy from an uncle or from oil leases, as is often the case down in Texas.
not me - I'm buying cheap lenses.....

buying camera bodies is expensive....
10-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #471
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be adapting all these oddballs to a mirrorless camera body... once my adapters arrive from China...
10-06-2020, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #472
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the blades behind the glass...

10-14-2020, 06:22 PM - 2 Likes   #473
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

10-15-2020, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #474
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter