Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
A quick one from me, f5.6 this time.

John C
Calm light. Like it.
08-29-2020, 03:44 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the ongoing silly experiments with the DFA 85mm I decided to try it with the older teleconverter, the SMC PENTAX-F AF ADAPTER 1.7X. as expected the converter was able to easily focus on subjects after getting the focus in a rough focal range. The aperture stayed open at full 1.4 although the camera reported the lens as f2.8. Being a full frame teleconverter the full frame was covered and to compare the results I used lightroom to enlarge the non teleconverter photo to give the same angle of view as the photo with the teleconverter.

with converter

without converter and cropped to same size

so once again , like the DA 1.4 converter, using the lens by itself and cropping the photo appears to give better results to my eye, however I believe the results to be better with the 1.7 than the 1.4 .
08-29-2020, 05:25 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
In the ongoing silly experiments with the DFA 85mm I decided to try it with the older teleconverter, the SMC PENTAX-F AF ADAPTER 1.7X. as expected the converter was able to easily focus on subjects after getting the focus in a rough focal range. The aperture stayed open at full 1.4 although the camera reported the lens as f2.8. Being a full frame teleconverter the full frame was covered and to compare the results I used lightroom to enlarge the non teleconverter photo to give the same angle of view as the photo with the teleconverter.

with converter

without converter and cropped to same size

so once again , like the DA 1.4 converter, using the lens by itself and cropping the photo appears to give better results to my eye, however I believe the results to be better with the 1.7 than the 1.4 .
I tried this combo as well. My conclusion was it is not worth efforts. Teleconverter induces softness and fringing and lock you to wide open aperture. It even add its optical properties to bokeh. Some people can like it but question is is it reasonable to buy 2000 dollars worth lens with excellent optics to use it with additional optics that is clearly not so good.

08-29-2020, 05:40 AM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
I tried this combo as well. My conclusion was it is not worth efforts. Teleconverter induces softness and fringing and lock you to wide open aperture. It even add its optical properties to bokeh. Some people can like it but question is is it reasonable to buy 2000 dollars worth lens with excellent optics to use it with additional optics that is clearly not so good.
I agree, the one thing I would like sometime in the future is a set of DFA extension tubes, I think that with the electronic aperture controls, it is an area currently lacking. Using the current lenses wide open is my next experiment with extension tubes and I was thinking of perhaps using a circular piece of cardboard in front of the lens to perhaps give a smaller aperture, maybe next weekend
08-29-2020, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, the one thing I would like sometime in the future is a set of DFA extension tubes, I think that with the electronic aperture controls, it is an area currently lacking. Using the current lenses wide open is my next experiment with extension tubes and I was thinking of perhaps using a circular piece of cardboard in front of the lens to perhaps give a smaller aperture, maybe next weekend
Waterhouse stops are so 1890s.
08-29-2020, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Spot on, surely it can’t be that difficult for Pentax to round out the system with extension tubes that work with the full range of lenses.

I can’t help but think they are not interested, after all we still have no modern FF TC and I would expect this to have their priority, even given the additional challenges of designing a TC over the tubes.

John

08-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Waterhouse stops are so 1890s.
lol yes they are, however perhaps we need a kickstarter to turn our wonderful new lens into a lomography style resolution eater

---------- Post added 08-30-20 at 07:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Spot on, surely it can’t be that difficult for Pentax to round out the system with extension tubes that work with the full range of lenses.

I can’t help but think they are not interested, after all we still have no modern FF TC and I would expect this to have their priority, even given the additional challenges of designing a TC over the tubes.

John
I agree, fairly low design and tooling cost and a disincentive to purchase new lenses for macro work, I haven't bothered with the newest 100mm macro lens as without aperture control I am better off with the non wr lens which I can use with tubes and bellows.
08-30-2020, 11:35 AM - 4 Likes   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the experiments, it's been interesting to follow how it does with the two TCs (I have the same two but haven't thought of getting them out to use). I haven't been doing much macro in a long time, thought I might since I'm not traveling. I did get the DFA 100 macro out once and enjoyed it.

This lens probably would capable of doing nice macro with the proper attachments.

Another light-hearted, just for fun shot. If this white poodle had been freshly groomed, I think she might have been harder to see.

Taken at White Sands National Park, New Mexico.
09-02-2020, 07:58 AM - 9 Likes   #115
Pentaxian

one more...
09-06-2020, 03:30 PM - 5 Likes   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Another woodland shot....Autumn is coming!

John
09-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #117

Wow, congratulations.
09-10-2020, 03:18 AM - 7 Likes   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I seem to be the proud owner of a DFA *85 f1.4 at this point. My wife studied too many photos taken with the lens and decided it was a must have for her wedding photography. These shots were cross posted to the K-1 thread as well, but I thought I would share them here too.

The lens is a bit wasted on my landscape tendencies, but here are a couple of shots with it.

Before Dawn (at f2.2)

Sunrise (at f8)

09-10-2020, 03:48 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I seem to be the proud owner of a DFA *85 f1.4 at this point. My wife studied too many photos taken with the lens and decided it was a must have for her wedding photography. These shots were cross posted to the K-1 thread as well, but I thought I would share them here too.

The lens is a bit wasted on my landscape tendencies, but here are a couple of shots with it.

Before Dawn (at f2.2)

Sunrise (at f8)

Beautiful pictures!
09-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Before Dawn (at f2.2)

Sunrise (at f8)

I think this is the best way to obtain new lenses, select the correct wife to start with, she is a keeper for sure
As for the photos, how good is the behaviour right into the sun, lovely.