Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Nice...is it a real Fender Strat?
it's a parts-caster...real Fender alder body and real Fender MIM neck and tuners, but I replaced all the hardware and electronics and i did my own custom wiring, so it's about half stock at this point.

04-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
it's a parts-caster...real Fender alder body and real Fender MIM neck and tuners, but I replaced all the hardware and electronics and i did my own custom wiring, so it's about half stock at this point.
Very cool
04-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #183
Inactive Account

Well, I got my other Cosina 55mm last week. I got this from a buddy who tried openning it and getting it to work with his 5D. He failed. He also sent it to me broken (He told me about it)
The problem is (I should say was...), when you turn the aperture dial, it doesn't move the blades, unless you have it mounted on the camera.
Now, I got it, opened it, and some spring got loose from something inside and I can't figure out how to put it back together. It is sitting at home on the operating table...
Anyone got some ideas or know someone who can repair...I'll have to look around my island to see if anyone can repair it.
Thanks!
04-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #184
Veteran Member

Having sold my copy to MikeSF, and then having him post drool-worthy images
from it again and again in this thread, I casually put in a low bid for one again...
and won. So, I'm back in the club. This always happens. It's not LBA until you
start buying lenses twice, I say.

Anyway, can't wait until we start to get some foliage around here. So far, we
have one crocus plant popping up, and some onions.

So here's a truck:

Some balls:

And said crocus:

04-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Having sold my copy to MikeSF, and then having him post drool-worthy images
from it again and again in this thread, I casually put in a low bid for one again...
and won. So, I'm back in the club. This always happens. It's not LBA until you
start buying lenses twice, I say.

Anyway, can't wait until we start to get some foliage around here. So far, we
have one crocus plant popping up, and some onions.
dang nice shots, jay. funny you got another - am loving mine.
04-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #186
Veteran Member

These shots from DaddyLuna, MikeSF, and most of all jshermans surreal shot of the ornaments convinced me to get one....

I love how this shot isolates mom/kid and still gives you an idea of a place..
One can see the thin DOF by how the son is OOF while mom's eyes are clearly in focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by DaddyLuna Quote
I bought another one of these lenses. I hope to mod it to fit my Canon 5D. Possible?

This must have taken a lot of patience or luck to get that bee in flight in the shot. Having played with the lens for 1 outing, I understand why you took the shot at f/2. Was this cropped or a closeup filter used?
I turned the ring all the way to f/2 for these two:

Last but not least: This to me is the shot that I keep going back to - it is more than a photo to me. I understand why jay bought/sold and rebought this lens. When I look at this shot it evokes a feeling of a dream sequence with bells/chimes tinkling in the background due to some breeze - maybe even a northern breeze.

All wide-open:

I hope I can contribute shots that are worthy of this lens and this thread soon.
04-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
These shots from DaddyLuna, MikeSF, and most of all jshermans surreal shot of the ornaments convinced me to get one....

This must have taken a lot of patience or luck to get that bee in flight in the shot. Having played with the lens for 1 outing, I understand why you took the shot at f/2. Was this cropped or a closeup filter used?
thanks. the only limitation with the lens is you cannot close focus. i haven't looked into a closeup filter (any suggestions anyone?), so this is cropped a little bit. The focus ring is kinda slow for catching action, so i got really lucky getting the bee into my plane of focus because tracking him zipping in and out was disastrous. at f/1.2 the DOF is so thin, it would have been near impossible to get the flower and the bee in focus together.

04-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #188
Veteran Member

One can see the thin DOF by how the son is OOF while mom's eyes are clearly in focus.

Last but not least: This to me is the shot that I keep going back to - it is more than a photo to me. I understand why jay bought/sold and rebought this lens. When I look at this shot it evokes a feeling of a dream sequence with bells/chimes tinkling in the background due to some breeze - maybe even a northern breeze.

I hope I can contribute shots that are worthy of this lens and this thread soon.

Once you get the lens, you'll really appreciate how hard that shot by daddyluna was -
I've been trying to shoot portraits at about that distance at f/1.2 for a while with this
(and my previous) Cosina, and it's just really tough.

And thanks for the compliment on my shot, that happens to be one of my favorites
(of my shots) with this lens. There are many other from other folks I like more, though,
like Mike's bee shot above - remarkable.

thanks. the only limitation with the lens is you cannot close focus. i haven't looked into a closeup filter (any suggestions anyone?), so this is cropped a little bit. The focus ring is kinda slow for catching action, so i got really lucky getting the bee into my plane of focus because tracking him zipping in and out was disastrous. at f/1.2 the DOF is so thin, it would have been near impossible to get the flower and the bee in focus together.

You may want to try some extension tubes, or the Raynox close-up lenses are
supposed to be very good.

Here are some everyday things rendered with a little otherworldly Cosina-fied magic:

A better (to me) composition of the Crocus:

04-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #189
Inactive Account

[snip]
Once you get the lens, you'll really appreciate how hard that shot by daddyluna was -
I've been trying to shoot portraits at about that distance at f/1.2 for a while with this
(and my previous) Cosina, and it's just really tough.
Thanks! I used about 5 shots on some 160VC for that but I believe that shot was worth it. I love the bokeh and sharpness of it. It is all about ranges on those shots. I use zone focusing a lot with this lens to find a range, then quickly zip to f/1.2 when I feel I am on point. I am getting my other Cosina from the repair shop on Monday; I can't wait. If anything, I might end up selling it. Unless I can find my other LX in my box-o-cameras.

I wouldn't count the limit of the MFD as a negative factor. f/1.2 isn't made for that. I would count you getting a close-up filter set as an added bonus. I basically did what this guy did:
Cosina 55mm f/1.2 with +4 Close-up - Hin's Tech Corner
Heavystar on eBay is still selling that hood so if you want, snag it up. I am looking for some rubber hoods.

Well, once I get that other one, I try to mod it to my 5D. Has anyone tried this yet? Infinity focus?
04-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #190
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree and also, JS...You make this look to easy. Your images are gorgeous.
04-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #191
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here are some images from a roll I shot about a month ago.
ME SUPER with the COSINA 55 F/1.2@F8 .. the film I was using was the Kodak Hi def 400...this combo produced some real contrasty photos, which I like. I was also using Hins lens hood advice as I found that it does help with this monster eye...

While out on a Hike, I came across this horse.
04-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #192
Pentaxian

This lens likes flowers, that's for sure.

04-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #193
Veteran Member

Yes indeed!

And here's an attempt to catch the little guy at f/1.2:

f/2.0 is easier (cropped a bit)

04-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #194
Veteran Member

The f2 shot of your little feller is stunning! Guh, I hate you people for having this lens and feeding my LBA. I suppose it works perfectly in Av mode too?
04-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #195
Pentaxian

Sure, as long as "works perfectly" means "only at f/1.2!"

Like other K-mount lenses with a stop-down lever, this is best used only in M mode.