Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Agree, it does make it a little more challenging with such shallow dof, almost considering getting split screen after holidays

It's been raining for a week now, so to bring up some color (Christmas tree in the bg):

Regards,
D
Gotta chime in with the rest - that shot is just jumping off my monitor with color, looks great. I also have to say that Christmas trees make for awesome background subjects on poor weather (in my case -30C today!) days. Every actuation of my shutter since the tree went up has it in some capacity as a background element, lol.

12-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Duh_Vinci, that's just a fantastic image. FANTASTIC!!!
12-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

DuhVinci,
thanks for the pic, gotta find my colored lightchains...

Kelly,
it's not -30C at mine, so I do some snapping around with those white chains of light outside.

Here's a center crop of something I can't really describe. Coma? Astigmatism? (click to view larger)

Revuenon 55/1.2 @f/1.2 + UV-filter on K100D

Georg (the other)
12-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you all for the comments, I appreciate indeed!

I love this lens, and the fact that I can shoot in the dark lit house at ISO 100-400, and maintain fairly good shutter speed - nice!

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
...I also have to say that Christmas trees make for awesome background subjects on poor weather...
Exactly! So many colors and shapes to choose from!

Georg - no idea how to describe it, but love the effect!

Some more from the past few rainy day (naturally wide open)

More holiday spirit (I think this would be my next year Christmas card):

From the walk in the rainy woods:

Shameless plug - my ugly a$$:

The only color left in my yard:

Same rainy, gloomy woods:

And to finish off the day right:

C&C always welcome.

Regards,
D

12-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Wow, I just got convinced to beark out my 55f/1.2 today
12-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Wow, I just got convinced to beark out my 55f/1.2 today
And I just got convinced to order one
12-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
And I just got convinced to order one
Jay, I can't wait to see you joining the club. I have recently added few accessories to the lens. And that include the needed lens hood, I get it from heavystar in ebay store.

And the store sells the 58mm lens hood with the matching 62mm lens cap together as a set and I find it a great combination in mounting the hood permanently on the Cosina to protect the lens front element.

Link to the 58mm lens hood and 62mm lens cap
New Metal Standard 58mm Screw-in Lens Hood + Cap - eBay (item 140256869405 end time Jan-06-09 13:09:01 PST)

Last edited by hinman; 12-22-2008 at 04:16 PM.
12-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Thanks for the Link Hin, I just bought one.

12-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, hin, will be ordering the hood also now.

Then that's it. Really. Calling LBA moratorium right now through 2009. Wish me luck.

12-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
And the store sells the lens hood with the matching 62mm lens hood together as a set and I find it a great combination in mounting the hood permanently on the Cosina to protect the lens front element.

Link to the 58mm lens hood and 62mm lens cap
New Metal Standard 58mm Screw-in Lens Hood + Cap - eBay (item 140256869405 end time Jan-06-09 13:09:01 PST)
I haven't added the Cosina to my (small) collection yet, but the photos in this thread AREN'T HELPING MY LBA!

But I will say that the hood/cap combination that hinman recommended is excellent, especially for the money. They come in various sizes, and I really like that the cap fits over the end of the hood.

My lenses take up more room in my bag this way, but I appreciate the additional impact and finger protection, so that's a compromise I am more than willing to make.
12-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I haven't added the Cosina to my (small) collection yet, but the photos in this thread AREN'T HELPING MY LBA!

But I will say that the hood/cap combination that hinman recommended is excellent, especially for the money. They come in various sizes, and I really like that the cap fits over the end of the hood.

My lenses take up more room in my bag this way, but I appreciate the additional impact and finger protection, so that's a compromise I am more than willing to make.
That is exactly how I like to protect my lens. The Cosina has a big 58mm lens front and it is heavy. With the lens hood and cap mounted, I have more confidence in mounting it without fingers touching the lens' front. I highly recommend that setup from HeavyStar, the lens cap at 62mm is not of the best quality but it will do the job fine.

The other accessory that I bought but I don't yet have a picture is on getting a step up ring from 58mm to 62mm and I plan to use it with 62mm close-up filter set from Hoya with +1, +2 and +4 to work with the Cosina.

The Cosina MFD (minimum focusing distance) is about 0.6 meter or 2 feet and close up is not its strength. I am playing with the idea with a closeup filter like +4 and see what happen when my Big Eye gets closer to flower. Another thought to enhance the Cosina.

I have also tried using the F-1.7x AF to use with the Cosina, the results are yet to be documented. While I am happy with the use of the magical 1.7x AF TC on A 50mm f/1.7, I am not convinced in the use of F-1.7x on Cosina yet. The combination will yield about 85mm f/2.0 (93.5mm f/2.0 to be exact) with partial AF but I would not recommend the use until I am convinced that it is usable setup.

I will document how the close up filter work with the Cosina 55mm f/1.2. And I actually don't know the magnification ratio of Cosina, I would guess it to be 1:10 or something in the far end. If I get a +4 close up filter, I have no idea on the final close up ratio. If I can get the Cosina closer to 1:4, I will be very pleased as 1:4 to 1:2 close up is my ratio for flowers.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-22-2008 at 05:05 PM.
12-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I noticed Hinman's hood posts. It's a nice hood. I like the cap. But I'd also like to pass along the hood I bought.

From this supplier.

58mm Tele Metal Lens hood Shade Screw-in Black HQ 58 mm - eBay (item 370127120139 end time Jan-06-09 22:11:11 PST)

/my house is dusty ain't it?
12-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
DuhVinci,
thanks for the pic, gotta find my colored lightchains...

Kelly,
it's not -30C at mine, so I do some snapping around with those white chains of light outside.

Here's a center crop of something I can't really describe. Coma? Astigmatism? (click to view larger)

Revuenon 55/1.2 @f/1.2 + UV-filter on K100D

Georg (the other)
That's a freaking cool shot.

The Cosina also has this asymmetrical Bokeh. I wonder if this is just a symptom of really fast glass -- the "leica look" if you will -- I wonder if the effect is enhanced with lenses mounted closer to the focal plain.

Makes me really wonder what this lens would look like on film.
12-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Thank you all for the comments, I appreciate indeed!

I love this lens, and the fact that I can shoot in the dark lit house at ISO 100-400, and maintain fairly good shutter speed - nice!

Exactly! So many colors and shapes to choose from!

Georg - no idea how to describe it, but love the effect!

Some more from the past few rainy day (naturally wide open)

More holiday spirit (I think this would be my next year Christmas card):

From the walk in the rainy woods:

C&C always welcome.

Regards,
D
There is no critique from me. I would be dying to get shots like yours with the Cosina. Very well done and inspiring to say the least.

Hin
12-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Thanks, hin, will be ordering the hood also now.

Then that's it. Really. Calling LBA moratorium right now through 2009. Wish me luck.

Yeah, right, like that is going to happen.