Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 857 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2022, 12:09 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Alternatively, if you could disassemble it yourself, perhaps the hood could be straightened manually.
I have a plan for trying to straighten the hood if all else fails...

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Hope you can get the lens repaired, as the cost of outright replacement is a little steep for such a new lens. I'd also suggest you get a sturdier camera strap!
In this case it was about inadequate tread on my shoes!

02-23-2022, 12:29 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
In this case it was about inadequate tread on my shoes!
I always have a good pair of hiking boots I wear on photographic trips, I learned years ago that there is little point in trying to cut costs on quality footwear when so much depends upon it.
02-23-2022, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

This lens club, like so many on PF, is buried amongst the usual daily threads and posts - it should be pinned to the start, the top, the beginning, where everyone can see these images! Well done and thanks to all who have posted.

I'd successfully resisted the call of this lens, but it grows stronger now...

What to do...what to do..!
02-23-2022, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
This lens club, like so many on PF, is buried amongst the usual daily threads and posts - it should be pinned to the start, the top, the beginning, where everyone can see these images! Well done and thanks to all who have posted.

I'd successfully resisted the call of this lens, but it grows stronger now...

What to do...what to do..!
If you go to the main forum page, and click on the Lens Clubs section, you will see all the lens clubs arranged by most recently posted to. There is also a Sticky: Lens Club - Linked Index at the very top.

---------- Post added 23-02-22 at 09:40 PM ----------

Alternatively, if you could disassemble it yourself, perhaps the hood could be straightened manually.
If anyone figures out how to get the hood off, could they post it here please. It isn't obvious, and might be useful to people trying DIY repairs. I can see no screws except on the mount. What a beautifully constructed lens by the way.

02-23-2022, 04:53 AM   #35
Pentaxian

If you go to the main forum page, and click on the Lens Clubs section, you will see all the lens clubs arranged by most recently posted to. There is also a Sticky: Lens Club - Linked Index at the very top.

---------- Post added 23-02-22 at 09:40 PM ----------

If anyone figures out how to get the hood off, could they post it here please. It isn't obvious, and might be useful to people trying DIY repairs. I can see no screws except on the mount. What a beautifully constructed lens by the way.
I was just being a little tongue-in-cheek! But I appreciate the pointers regardless...
02-23-2022, 05:45 AM - 4 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

There was these images a posted at about launch time. Perhaps gives some idea. Certainly looks like tension/deformation in the hood piece may pinch the focus ring where they overlap. Also looks like the traditional screws behind the face plate holds the hood. Considering the cost of the lens I'd send it to repair though. It's not an old M lens or something.

DFA21 barrel pieces - Album on Imgur

Last edited by house; 02-23-2022 at 05:54 AM.
02-23-2022, 07:16 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fascinating look at the barrel design of the DFA21.

02-23-2022, 11:07 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Fascinating look at the barrel design of the DFA21.
Right, makes you want to buy one, take it apart, and clink around with the rings
02-26-2022, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster

02-28-2022, 04:40 PM   #40

Beautiful work by Mina, I need to get one of these for my K-3iii.
02-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
Beautiful work by Mina, I need to get one of these for my K-3iii.
SATOBI was included in the latest firmware update for the K3iii, V1.31.
02-28-2022, 05:05 PM   #42

SATOBI was included in the latest firmware update for the K3iii, V1.31.
Yes, I have that. Need the lens though. I have the 15mm Limited and the 31mm Limited. This is nicer that the DA 21mm as it has the WR - currently my only WR is the DA*300mm. I shoot a lot outdoors in the snow.
02-28-2022, 11:50 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think i'm getting to the bottom of the AF inconsistencies* with the DFA21 on my K1 MKII - the strange thing is the K1 classic is absolutely fine, no problems with AF with the lens.

Pentax K-1 MK II - SMCP-HD D-FA21mm f/2.4 ED ASPH Limited ISO 100 f/2.4 [Hand blended HDR]

I find the DFA21 ever so slightly too wide for casual street photography, I prefer 35~50mm for that. But for cityscapes and general snapshots around the city it's excellent.

Pentax K1 SMCP-HD D-FA21mm f/2.4 ED ASPH Limited ISO 100 f/11 1/125th

*My K-1 MKII consistently back focuses when subject distances are much closer than 1m

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-01-2022 at 12:52 AM.
03-01-2022, 02:28 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think i'm getting to the bottom of the AF inconsistencies* with the DFA21 on my K1 MKII - the strange thing is the K1 classic is absolutely fine, no problems with AF with the lens.
Interesting. I've only shot with it on my K1, and it has behaved perfectly. Has anyone else had problems on the K1ii? What about on a K1 that was upgraded to K1ii?

Digitalis, please let us know what you eventually conclude.
03-01-2022, 02:38 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about on a K1 that was upgraded to K1ii?
Mine is a K-1 that was upgraded.