Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2018, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #2626
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
I've recently discovered that the 18-55 II makes a superb zoom macro lens when reversed. I wedge the aperture tab partially open with a piece of plastic tube cut from a cotton-swab-stick-thing. Changing the focal length changes the degree of magnification. At 18mm it has a horizontal field of view of about 6mm; this is almost 4:1. Theses are all taken hand held, with just a reverse macro adapter, no TC, no extension apart from that native to the lens. K-S2, built in flash with Pringles tin extender/diffuser.

I am constantly amazed by what this lens can do, when I do my bit right at the other end of the camera. Here it is, uncropped, resolving hairs on the legs of a red spider mite.
That is astonishing! Great shots!

06-28-2018, 09:53 AM - 3 Likes   #2627
Pentaxian

Thanks, all, glad you liked them. I was afraid that the macro shots might be considered "cheating" even though they're with a kit lens! I got the idea for doing this from Nass's Anybrand MP-E65 project with a nudge from reading Lefkowitz. Being a masochist, and not having an expendible 50mm A series lens to sacrifice to create Nass's empty lens with aperture control capability, I put up with a darker viewfinder than his set-up would produce. At some point I'm gonna get me an adapter ring that will offer me aperture control of reversed lenses lacking an aperture ring, like the 18-55. I would deglass it, of course. I'm guessing other kit zooms might be good as well. My first kit zoom macros were with an old F 35-80. I wasn't expecting much, so when I saw what it could do, I was amazed. The shot that made me go WOW was this one of a dandelion with dark specks on it:

With the unaided eye, I really couldn't tell what those funny little dark things were, I only knew I'd never seen a Dandelion with those on before. I magnified the playback and HOLY CRAP THOSE ARE BUGS!

100% crop of the above shot:

Here I am seeing compound eyes and body hairs on creatures I never knew existed, on things that I didn't even know were creatures at all when I took the shot. Not bad for a lens I got for free off a junked Pentax AF film body.

For the price of a reverse adapter, you can't go wrong.

---------- Post added 06-28-18 at 01:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
... but never thought to try it on a zoom lens, always used it on primes, becauseI reasoned that quality could't possibly be good...
I'm going to try that for sure
That's what I'd thought as well. Maybe there are lenses that are technically "better" than what I'm using that would give "better" results, but this works for me. I know there are all sorts of things that I have to put up with, but I'm willing to do so to get the results I get.This might be one of those times where "better is the enemy of good." I really enjoy the flexibility that the zoom gives me, letting me accomodate subjects of varying size by just adjusting the focal length.

Moving slightly off the purpose of this thread, I've had great results from reversed movie lenses as well, using D mount optics originally meant for 8mm cine cameras. Having seen what the kit zooms have done for me, I wonder what an old zoom movie lens might accomplish? Lefkowitz advises against using w/a or zoom movie lenses for reverse macro work, but I wonder if that is part of the same conventional wisdom that advised/advises against reversing zoom still camera lenses. I wonder...

The Laowa 25mm 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro looks interesting, but I'm not sure it's going to give me enough "more" of what my kit lens reversal play gives me. The laowa would get me to 5X; the 18-55 almost gets to 4. Both are manual aperture without auto diaphragm. The Laowa has more diaphragm blades, so there's that. I'm sure it would work very well, but I do enjoy the fun factor of doing what I'm doing, how I'm doing it, and that's not nothing. Cheaper, too.So far, I feel I have yet to exhaust the potential of the reversed 18-55; I might perform some upgrades like getting that (deglassed) adapter that would allow more precise aperture control, but I think that any problems with my results are more my technique than the lens.

Last edited by Thagomizer; 06-28-2018 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added link to example item
06-28-2018, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #2628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another way to control DA lenses aperture is to use an adapter for a mirrorless camera system that has a DA / OPEN / CLOSE slider. They are usually infinitely adjustable and allow you a stepless uncalibrated aperture control. I use a K- m43 one for reversed DA lenses sometimes.
06-28-2018, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #2629
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Another way to control DA lenses aperture is to use an adapter for a mirrorless camera system that has a DA / OPEN / CLOSE slider. They are usually infinitely adjustable and allow you a stepless uncalibrated aperture control. I use a K- m43 one for reversed DA lenses sometimes.
I'd seen those adapters as well. They are deeper than the PK to Nikon one (which also has the aperture control capability), which would use less of the working distance up. The M43 would serve as a hood, but I think I'd rather have the extra working distance.

06-28-2018, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #2630
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd seen those adapters as well. They are deeper than the PK to Nikon one (which also has the aperture control capability), which would use less of the working distance up. The M43 would serve as a hood, but I think I'd rather have the extra working distance.
True. NEX or even NX may also work but I get your concern. I haven't had problems but I haven't needed more working distance for the shots I have made (mostly just some tests)
06-28-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #2631
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yup, at those magnification you need every inch... even if only for lighting purposes (i.e. giving flash a little leeway and not getting a shadow in the way).
06-29-2018, 03:01 AM - 2 Likes   #2632
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A more normal, less adventurous picture, 18-55 WR

Vetrine_Set_4 by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr

06-29-2018, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #2633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From Dec. 2013 with the DA18-55:
07-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #2634
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A "cool photo" for the hot weather. What happens when the out side faucet drips in winter time! Joe
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
07-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #2635
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've recently discovered that the 18-55 II makes a superb zoom macro lens when reversed. I wedge the aperture tab partially open with a piece of plastic tube cut from a cotton-swab-stick-thing. Changing the focal length changes the degree of magnification. At 18mm it has a horizontal field of view of about 6mm; this is almost 4:1. Theses are all taken hand held, with just a reverse macro adapter, no TC, no extension apart from that native to the lens. K-S2, built in flash with Pringles tin extender/diffuser.

I am constantly amazed by what this lens can do, when I do my bit right at the other end of the camera. Here it is, uncropped, resolving hairs on the legs of a red spider mite.
The much-maligned 18-50 WR (kit lens for the K-S2) must surely be expecting its chance. Have you got one to try?
07-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #2636
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
The much-maligned 18-50 WR (kit lens for the K-S2) must surely be expecting its chance. Have you got one to try?
Yes, I do. I've always been pleased with its performance right-way-round, so I'm guessing it would work well reversed as well, though I haven't tried it yet. As it's the only WR lens I've got, it's not as "expendable" as the 18-55 II I've been playing with. I'm also not sure how well the collapsable design would handle revresed treatment. I'm often pushing my camera into tight spaces in pursuit of macro subjects. I'm not sure the 18-50 would like that very much...
07-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #2637
Pentaxian

Yes, I do. I've always been pleased with its performance right-way-round, so I'm guessing it would work well reversed as well, though I haven't tried it yet. As it's the only WR lens I've got, it's not as "expendable" as the 18-55 II I've been playing with. I'm also not sure how well the collapsable design would handle revresed treatment. I'm often pushing my camera into tight spaces in pursuit of macro subjects. I'm not sure the 18-50 would like that very much...
Not having done much macro I don't know if it would affect how you use your reversed lens, but the 18-50 kit lens' "manual" focus ring needs the electronic connections.
07-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #2638
Pentaxian

A chalk stream - K-70 and 18-50 RE:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
07-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #2639
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Not having done much macro I don't know if it would affect how you use your reversed lens, but the 18-50 kit lens' "manual" focus ring needs the electronic connections.
For most macro shooting you're moving the whole camera back and forth for focus rather than using the focus ring on the lens itself.
07-19-2018, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #2640
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA18-55 on K10D: