Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #15376
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Let us know your experience with the video head. If it goes well I may give an old one I have a try. I use the aluminum version of your tripod. I opted for the Custom Brackets CB Gimbal for portability. I got it just prior to moving and I have not had enough time to evaluate the gimbal. Based on two short outings I am happy so far. The CB flash bracket designed for the CB Gimbal is superb compared to others I have used with the Better Beamer.

I do wish that more lenses incorporated the aiming sights on my K 500 4.5. With an 800 on a cropped body BIF must really be a challenge regardless of rig used.
I would appreciate any suggestions you and others have for aiming devices.
A friend of mine uses a gimbal head with his 800mm and he let me try it. Believe me if feels like it floats on his tripod and it is a pleasure to use.

02-14-2015, 08:43 AM - 9 Likes   #15377
Pentaxian

Spectacled Spiderhunter shot with K5

02-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #15378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I do wish that more lenses incorporated the aiming sights on my K 500 4.5.
I really appreciate the gunsight on the end of my M 400/5.6 as well. This spring at the Creston Wildlife Management Area (a wet land 2 1/2 hours drive from my home) I'm going to see what the M and the AFA 1.7X can come up with. At 680mm the gun sight will be essential to get the rig aimed within frame width of a bird. If anyone sneezes closer than 100 m/yds from me I'll have to wait for the shaking to settle down despite the Manfrotto rig unless I don't extend the legs, but I want to get a bit more size on sensor.
02-14-2015, 10:27 AM - 4 Likes   #15379
Pentaxian

Today I went to a spot that I have been baiting with corn, K-5/Sigma 500mm f4.5 EX DG on a Kirk window mount.

Last edited by Ducatigaz; 02-16-2015 at 08:09 AM.
02-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #15380
Pentaxian

Lovely Gary. What is the species?
02-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #15381
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
He told me it was just given to him from a friend because of the front glass was completely broken and it cost him $400.00 to fix it

Everything goes well when you have good friends...
02-14-2015, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #15382
Pentaxian

3x DA*300

02-14-2015, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #15383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A brief half hour of almost-sunshine this afternoon so I scurried over to the railway to see if I could collar a sparrow or two with the adaptamatic 300mm. Used the latticework of the old metal bridge as a hide

Its not the sharpest wide open the adaptamatic 300mm but its not bad stopped down a bit - these were all f8/f9, ASA 800 on the K5. And its such a great handling lens.
Then I went back to watch the rugby!

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2015 at 20:27 ----------

And one more.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-14-2015 at 01:28 PM.
02-14-2015, 01:55 PM - 6 Likes   #15384
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Had to get out of the house today before the next wave of Canadian air and snow hits. So I took the 150-500 to Beaver Lake to get some Redpolls and whatever else was at the feeders.

02-14-2015, 02:45 PM - 3 Likes   #15385

First photo posting here...

I've been amazed at the beautiful shots people have posted here but haven't posted any of my feeble efforts. I've learned a lot just reading what people say about what they do to get sharper shots. I have a K-30 and Sigma 400 f/5.6 APO Tele-macro and have been using a Vivitar Series 1 1.4x TC. I have only a cheapo Proline ball-head tripod, so we're talking amateur hour here. Anyway, I was just visiting for a weekend down in Florida and thought I'd post a few photos. I hope folks like them and would appreciate any suggestions. One thing I've figured out is that my copy of the Sigma, at least, seems to do better stopped down. I didn't do any testing, but the few times I stopped it down gave me my only really sharp photos, even if not up to the incredible standards I see in many here.

Hmmm - I'll have to figure out how to get photos to appear with comments in between. Anyway:
First, a tricolored heron, shot on a tripod at f/9. Then a handheld closeup of a wood stork feeding, also f/9. Lastly a hawk on a fencepost eating what I think is a glass snake - f/5.6, handheld - I saw the hawk on a fencepost, stopped to get a photo and it flew down behind the fence. I walked over to see if I could see what it was doing, assuming I couldn't get any photos through chain link fence, and I ended up flushing it and it flew a few fence posts away. When I got it in view, I saw it was eating and just started snapping. I got a whole series of swallowing down to the last bit of tail. I love Florida for wildlife. (And, yes, there's a sensor dust blob in the sky I haven't removed...)

I did try live view a few times to try to eliminate mirror shake and frequently my camera lost focus; any suggestions there?

Thanks again for the inspiring photos; I hope you like mine.
Attached Images

Last edited by entropy1; 02-14-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
02-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #15386
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
[quote=boriscleto;3159148]Had to get out of the house today before the next wave of Canadian air and snow hits. So I took the 150-500 to Beaver Lake to get some Redpolls and whatever else was at the feeders.

OK, I'll take the blame for the cold air if you like. The birds in your great pics are the ones we usually have on our feeders in February, but this year we are just getting the occasional flurry of house sparrows, house finches and juncos. I've seen a Cooper's Hawk in the neighbourhood a couple of times and that might have something to do with it.
02-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #15387
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote

OK, I'll take the blame for the cold air if you like. The birds in your great pics are the ones we usually have on our feeders in February, but this year we are just getting the occasional flurry of house sparrows, house finches and juncos. I've seen a Cooper's Hawk in the neighbourhood a couple of times and that might have something to do with it.
It's an irruption year for Redpolls here. There were at least 50 at the feeders. One is an orange morph, but I didn't get a photo of that one.
02-14-2015, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #15388
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by entropy1 Quote
I've been amazed at the beautiful shots people have posted here but haven't posted any of my feeble efforts. I've learned a lot just reading what people say about what they do to get sharper shots. I have a K-30 and Sigma 400 f/5.6 APO Tele-macro and have been using a Vivitar Series 1.4x TC. I have only a cheapo Proline ball-head tripod, so we're talking amateur hour here. Anyway, I was just visiting for a weekend down in Florida and thought I'd post a few photos. I hope folks like them and would appreciate any suggestions. One thing I've figured out is that my copy of the Sigma, at least, seems to do better stopped down. I didn't do any testing, but the few times I stopped it down gave me my only really sharp photos, even if not up to the incredible standards I see in many here.

Hmmm - I'll have to figure out how to get photos to appear with comments in between. Anyway:
First, a tricolored heron, shot on a tripod at f/9. Then a handheld closeup of a wood stork feeding, also f/9. Lastly a hawk on a fencepost eating what I think is a glass snake - f/5.6, handheld - I saw the hawk on a fencepost, stopped to get a photo and it flew down behind the fence. I walked over to see if I could see what it was doing, assuming I couldn't get any photos through chain link fence, and I ended up flushing it and it flew a few fence posts away. When I got it in view, I saw it was eating and just started snapping. I got a whole series of swallowing down to the last bit of tail. I love Florida for wildlife. (And, yes, there's a sensor dust blob in the sky I haven't removed...)

I did try live view a few times to try to eliminate mirror shake and frequently my camera lost focus; any suggestions there?

Thanks again for the inspiring photos; I hope you like mine.
Very nice. The heron and hawk are excellent. You managed to isolate the heron in a busy scene as much as possible. As you can see, part of the skill is happenstance; simply being out with gear and capturing what is happening in front of you. The closer the better. The other skill is throwing away the dross. Great shots and I look forward to seeing more.

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 02:11 PM ----------

Spring is happening around here, a bit early. The Western Grebes should be leaving for their nesting grounds soon.

02-14-2015, 03:26 PM - 4 Likes   #15389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by entropy1 Quote
First, a tricolored heron, shot on a tripod at f/9.
That's a nice photo! Welcome to the thread: don't be shy--it's all about learning (well, yeah, also bragging ;~).

---------- Post added 02-14-15 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The other skill is throwing away the dross.
I'm getting a lot of practice with that: I had the damnedest time with blown-out highlights yesterday even with -4 EV. Salvaged this one, though.

Oh and the fox came back--looking good:

Of course, I have no idea whether it's the same fox as in the photo I posted earlier but it may have just been that he was soaked in that photo.)
02-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #15390

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
That's a nice photo! Welcome to the thread: don't be shy--it's all about learning (well, yeah, also bragging ;~).
Thanks. Including another - not very sharp, taken too far away and cropped, but painted buntings are just ridiculously colorful birds and I felt lucky to get 2 in one shot, with one flying. And they are very shy - I was hiding behind a tree probably 30 feet away for a long time. I do have some very close shots through the other side of the window, with sun glaring on the glass/dirt, etc.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo