Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91813 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #1531
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

There's no arguing with those photos, traderdrew! Interesting that it's taken you some time to appreciate the virtues of the lens: I've had the same experience with my long lenses. I think it just takes time to get the the feel of long lens technique.

03-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #1532
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by siamthai Quote
Bought this smc PENTAX 500mm f/4.5 from Japan on 1st of March and it arrived today.

I'm not sure what you call it but I think you say "mint condition". Anyway it looks like new and newer used so I'm very pleased. I've used a 400mm earlier but I have had trouble finding for example flying birds and other things moving in time to get the photo. But the sight that I've put a mark around makes it really fast to find whatever you want to so it's very useful. When I use the sight I'll find birds in the sky or anything else at once. Hope I will have some good photos of wildlife to share here in the spring.
The only way to describe that lens is New or perhaps W-O-W.!! I would think that whoever sold that wanted a large number of currency bills all in a row. Sigh, I only wish I could change over from my old 3rd party lenses to these Pentax beauties but the budget does not allow that at this time or probably for years yet.
Alan W.
(green with envy)
03-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #1533
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Andrew, that is the coolest Osprey shot I ever saw and hope to hell I get a chance to make one like that. The hawks are right there with it. Beautiful lens, even better use of the opportunity. Where in Florida? This month I am hanging in Crystal River but all my Osprey shots are from a nest in a shopping center light pole on Rt. 19. Again, beautiful shots.
03-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #1534

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I would think that whoever sold that wanted a large number of currency bills all in a row. Sigh, I only wish I could change over from my old 3rd party lenses to these Pentax beauties but the budget does not allow that at this time or probably for years yet.
Alan W.
(green with envy)
No, not at all. They didn't ask for much (anyway not in my opinion). Only 578 US$ (and shipping cost 119 US$). And as dollar current rate has fallen a lot against SEK it was a real bargain.

I have checked the lens out and I say it again. It's like new . No dust whatsoever, no fungus or haze and no signs of use. Maybe the first owner thought it was to heavy to use and have had it stored away all the time since it was new

To tell you the truth I maybe ought not to use it because it's in such a good condition that it should to be sent to a museum Well I guess I'll have to be very carefull when I use it.

I wonder if there's any reason to place a UV-filter in this lens? I usually use UV-filters only for protection of the front lens but this lens have the filter in the back. Does UV-filter have any positiv effects that could give me a reason to keep a filter in the back of the lens?

Last edited by siamthai; 03-09-2011 at 07:34 AM.
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #1535
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Andrew, that is the coolest Osprey shot I ever saw and hope to hell I get a chance to make one like that. The hawks are right there with it. Beautiful lens, even better use of the opportunity. Where in Florida? This month I am hanging in Crystal River but all my Osprey shots are from a nest in a shopping center light pole on Rt. 19. Again, beautiful shots.
Thanks a bunch! Go to Viera Wetlands in Melbourne. Take exit 191 off I-95 and go west until you find the water treatment facility behind an open gate. Drive through and you will find a dirt road.

I heard there are tons of ospreys at Blue Cypress Lake near Vero Beach, Florida. This is further south of Viera. You would have to rent a boat to get them but there is no charge for Viera.
03-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #1536
Pentaxian

Tele Takumar 1000/8, handheld on 5D :

03-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #1537
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by siamthai Quote
No, not at all. They didn't ask for much (anyway not in my opinion). Only 578 US$ (and shipping cost 119 US$). And as dollar current rate has fallen a lot against SEK it was a real bargain.

I have checked the lens out and I say it again. It's like new . No dust whatsoever, no fungus or haze and no signs of use. Maybe the first owner thought it was to heavy to use and have had it stored away all the time since it was new

To tell you the truth I maybe ought not to use it because it's in such a good condition that it should to be sent to a museum Well I guess I'll have to be very carefull when I use it.

I wonder if there's any reason to place a UV-filter in this lens? I usually use UV-filters only for protection of the front lens but this lens have the filter in the back. Does UV-filter have any positiv effects that could give me a reason to keep a filter in the back of the lens?
A nice thing you could do is post a review of the lens in that section so it would reflect your purchase price in dollars for the lens. The listing for the 500 makes it seem like one could get it for around 300 when in todays economy that is too low for a good copy. Yours is an exceptional copy so it should cost more but you did get an exceptional deal. One question, does Sweden use the Euro or only the Krona? I may have to sell some of my lesser quality long lenses and have my son in Japan find the better ones for me. My son has more money than I do anyway.!! Happy shooting with your new jewel!!
Alan W.

03-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #1538

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
One question, does Sweden use the Euro or only the Krona? I may have to sell some of my lesser quality long lenses and have my son in Japan find the better ones for me. My son has more money than I do anyway.!! Happy shooting with your new jewel!!
Alan W.
Sweden use only the Krona but some shops may accept Euro. For now it seems as it was a good idea to stick with the Krona since both Euro and USD have lost a lot in value.

I've sometimes seen the 500mm for sale at eBay, mostly in good condition but as this was in pristine condition I decided to buy it. I may have to add some costs because of the weight of the 500mm, It's not working good with a usual ball head so I'm considering bying a Gimbal head so that I can move the lens more freely. I've also read that the Gimbal is great for panoramas and I really like to take panorama photos. And I will of course use it with my 60-250mm and 180mm because both of them is about 1,3 kg (3lbs). Seems as if Gimbal costs about 130£ at eBay
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=gimbal+head

edit:
I have now bought a Gimbal head from eBay India.

Last edited by siamthai; 03-11-2011 at 06:28 AM.
03-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #1539
Veteran Member

dropped my K100D

Yes I did it. Sent the K100D for a major tumble and the LCD screen hit something hard on the way to the floor for it is terminally busted. The camera still works but I will not be able to set anything in menus. After the purchases lately our budget it to tight to permit buying a replacement. I was so looking forward to 2 digital bodies while trying to catch bald eagles here in a couple of weeks. Anyone have an extra old digital body they would take payments on??? Thought I would ask. This is a downer, it only had about 8000 frames shot too!!
03-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #1540
Veteran Member

I have seen these folks around my in-laws house the last couple days, sometimes together, sometimes not. Bummer is the ravens won't let them rest for more than a minute before they swarm the hawks and I can't get very close. So I am thinking I keep the tokina 400mm and kenko 1.5X tc for the hawks and start with birdshot and a long barreled remington for the ravens.

03-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #1541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, that hawk/raven thing is interesting isn't it? Nice shots!
03-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #1542
MSD

QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
Tele Takumar 1000/8, handheld on 5D :
Wonderful. The perspective you can get from a super-tele from a long range is great.
03-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #1543

First post here ....

Gotten myself a A*300mm recently from a friendly forum member
Can't imagine how sharp this lens can get

K7 + SMCP A*300mm f2.8 + 1.7x AFA, 1/640s f9 iso100

at 100% crop, only adjusted exposure and lighting, no sharpening

Cheers
IAN
03-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #1544
Ole
Administrator

Considering you used a teleconverter that's pretty good! Congrats with your new "500mm" lens!
03-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #1545
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very nice, Ian!