03-07-2015, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #15796
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Superb Gary.
How close did you get?
Around 30ft

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 07:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Amazing photos as always, but I have to ask. What is up with the Owl's eyes? Is that normal with their vision, or does this one have a lazy eye?
It has a dropped Iris, it can see and hunt OK ,it caught 9 Voles the day before I took the pictures I have posted.

It was also hovering above my head too close to focus on with my 500mm

03-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #15797
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is this a female House Finch?

K3+DA 300*
House Sparrow. Dark cone shaped bill, black streaked brown wings with a single white wing bar. House Finch has a streaked breast.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-07-2015 at 03:05 PM.
03-07-2015, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #15798
Pentaxian

K-3 and F*300. Shot mid afternoon along Mississippi River Iowa.

03-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #15799
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
House Sparrow I would say. House Finch has a plainer back and blurry streaks down the front.

Hmm.. I'm not sure.. this is our EU house sparrow outfit...

03-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #15800
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Hmm.. I'm not sure.. this is our EU house sparrow outfit...

That's a male in breeding plumage.

This is a female.

They have a light colored bill

A non-breeding male.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-07-2015 at 03:49 PM.
03-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #15801
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this should be then the (eurasian) tree sparrow... not 100% sure either

03-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #15802
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
this should be then the (eurasian) tree sparrow... not 100% sure either

Tree sparrows were introduced in the US, but they are not as successful as House sparrows. There is only a small population near St. Louis, Missouri.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-08-2015 at 07:47 AM.
03-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #15803
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
House Sparrow. Dark cone shaped bill, black streaked brown wings with a single white wing bar. House Finch has a streaked breast.
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
House Sparrow I would say. House Finch has a plainer back and blurry streaks down the front.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 03-08-15 at 08:08 AM ----------

We were walking a new trail that we found yesterday. In the distance, too far away to photograph with what we had (DA 300 and Sigma 300), we could see a bird hovering up high over the water, then dive down at the water, then back up again and repeat. I could tell it was an Osprey. We sat and watched it for a few minutes. It suddenly changed course and started coming in our direction. From my point of view, it was coming straight towards us. I saw it's claws drop down as it was getting ready to grab something. I continued watching, wondering what it was after, and trying to remain as still as possible.

It was at this point that I raised the camera from my chin and started shooting. I was unprepared since it was so far away when we first saw it, that I never thought to up my shutter speed. I didn't expect it to come as close as it did. My girlfriend shouted out "he's going after you!" and pointed at the Osprey. Her sudden movement spooked him, and he put on the brakes and changed direction. The only half decent pic I got was this one. It's not the best, but it works. This was right when it changed directions just as she pointed at it. I have another shot which shows it coming right at us, but there's so much motion blur from the slow shutter speed, that it's not worth posting.

Maybe we just happened to be near its nesting area and it was trying to scare us off? She claims that it wanted my black hat. I say it was after her bright orange back pack.

My question is, do Ospreys generally hunt in the same location? If I go back to the exact same area, how good are my chances of seeing the bird again?
03-08-2015, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #15804
Pentaxian

Yes it will probably hunt there if the fish are there.

Is it's eye yellow or reddish color? It looks reddish but I can't tell. If so it is a young bird and was curious.
03-08-2015, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #15805
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks!

---------- Post added 03-08-15 at 08:08 AM ----------

We were walking a new trail that we found yesterday. In the distance, too far away to photograph with what we had (DA 300 and Sigma 300), we could see a bird hovering up high over the water, then dive down at the water, then back up again and repeat. I could tell it was an Osprey. We sat and watched it for a few minutes. It suddenly changed course and started coming in our direction. From my point of view, it was coming straight towards us. I saw it's claws drop down as it was getting ready to grab something. I continued watching, wondering what it was after, and trying to remain as still as possible.

It was at this point that I raised the camera from my chin and started shooting. I was unprepared since it was so far away when we first saw it, that I never thought to up my shutter speed. I didn't expect it to come as close as it did. My girlfriend shouted out "he's going after you!" and pointed at the Osprey. Her sudden movement spooked him, and he put on the brakes and changed direction. The only half decent pic I got was this one. It's not the best, but it works. This was right when it changed directions just as she pointed at it. I have another shot which shows it coming right at us, but there's so much motion blur from the slow shutter speed, that it's not worth posting.

Maybe we just happened to be near its nesting area and it was trying to scare us off? She claims that it wanted my black hat. I say it was after her bright orange back pack.

My question is, do Ospreys generally hunt in the same location? If I go back to the exact same area, how good are my chances of seeing the bird again?

Neat story, you'd had more keepers if you were shooting with the F*/FA* 300mm f4.5, i'm just saying (....bring it on DA* 300 lovers I ain't scared of you)

That's not true of course the DA* is a formidable lens, Its a very nice capture, I remember I stalked a red shouldered hawk once for 2 hrs in an attempt at BIF and this was my one best frame.

03-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #15806
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Yes it will probably hunt there if the fish are there.

Is it's eye yellow or reddish color? It looks reddish but I can't tell. If so it is a young bird and was curious.
It's yellow. Curious with claws out?

Fish will always be there. This is on the edge of a bay. Good to know. I'll be heading back out very soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Neat story, you'd had more keepers if you were shooting with the F*/FA* 300mm f4.5, i'm just saying (....bring it on DA* 300 lovers I ain't scared of you)

That's not true of course the DA* is a formidable lens, Its a very nice capture, I remember I stalked a red shouldered hawk once for 2 hrs in an attempt at BIF and this was my one best frame.
Give me a F*/FA* 300 and i'll gladly do a comparison. That's a cool shot as well.
03-08-2015, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #15807
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tokina 400 AT-X SD. These were all taken handheld, and cropped.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-08-2015, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #15808
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Tokina 400 AT-X SD. These were all taken handheld, and cropped.
That was quick. All of these are from today?

---------- Post added 03-08-15 at 10:14 AM ----------

03-08-2015, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #15809
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, these are all from today!

I'm very pleased with this lens! These birds move very quickly, and are difficult to catch while they are still. First one is a red-breasted Nuthatch; second one is a white-breasted Nuthatch. They are so comical to watch as they scurry down headfirst, and eat headfirst.

That *300 lens of yours is outstanding; I can only hope..............someday!
03-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #15810
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Yes, these are all from today!

I'm very pleased with this lens! These birds move very quickly, and are difficult to catch while they are still. First one is a red-breasted Nuthatch; second one is a white-breasted Nuthatch. They are so comical to watch as they scurry down headfirst, and eat headfirst.

That *300 lens of yours is outstanding; I can only hope..............someday!
Thanks for posting the pictures. I look forward to seeing what else you post with this lens.