Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91913 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #1636
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They're Back!

The Yellow-Crowned Night Herons are back in the rookery. It was pretty gloomy today so this is the best I could do with the DA*300 & 2x-S.

04-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #1637
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
The Yellow-Crowned Night Herons are back in the rookery. It was pretty gloomy today so this is the best I could do with the DA*300 & 2x-S.
It might be "only" the best you can do, but it's a fine image in my book. I am going to have to unsubscribe from this thread. It's too hard to take when everyone else has all these fine weather friends to take pictures of, and I had to fill my snowblower's gas tank again today. That's the third jerry can I've emptied this year, and I still have a third of the lawn to blow off. We usually get away with less than two cans.
04-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #1638
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Albert! I am hoping for better (in particular, more detail). It would have been a whole lot worse except for the K-5. I can certainly understand that you're tired of snow (there's a reason I live here and not there.) Otoh, you've got the Rockies ;~)
04-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #1639
Site Supporter

Thanks, Albert! I am hoping for better (in particular, more detail). It would have been a whole lot worse except for the K-5.
Still a nice shot inspite of ugly sky and a 2x lens combo. Hopefully its someplace you can continue to visit with better weather for some color and a couple fuzzy youngsters peaking out of the nest.

What's this about you living in a better weather area than Albert? According to my map you are NORTH of the Mason-Dixon line.

04-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #1640
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Still a nice shot inspite of ugly sky and a 2x lens combo. Hopefully its someplace you can continue to visit with better weather for some color and a couple fuzzy youngsters peaking out of the nest.

What's this about you living in a better weather area than Albert? According to my map you are NORTH of the Mason-Dixon line.
Fortunately, the nests are about 5 minutes from my house so I get to visit them all summer. They're in Sycamores (exclusively) along a stream which, though badly degraded, has an abundant supply of crayfish.

One of the difficulties of shooting them on the nests is that you're always shooting up at them-- against the sky (as well as through a maze of branches.) I really prefer to shoot them in the stream: it requires stalking and patience and a certain tolerance for frustration but the rewards--as I've seen in several "damn, almost!" shots--make it a worthwhile pursuit.

And I'm afraid you need to get a new map, Lee: the Mason-Dixon Line is the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania--to our North. That notwithstanding, it's not hard to imagine that--although I think it sucks at the moment--, Baltimore's weather for the most part is rather more temperate than that in the Canadian Rockies.

Last edited by dadipentak; 04-09-2011 at 08:18 PM.
04-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #1641
Site Supporter

And I'm afraid you need to get a new map, Lee: the Mason-Dixon Line is the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania--to our North. That notwithstanding, it's not hard to imagine that--although I think it sucks at the moment--, Baltimore's weather for the most part is rather more temperate than that in the Canadian Rockies.
Well, you are right AGAIN. They moved the damned line since i got out of public school it seems.

After my 15 day road trip in FL I can't even imagine coming home to fill up the snow blower. Of course i have never even seen a snow blower. .

I have a cure for shooting up at the nests. There is a Heron nest in my Father's backyard only 30' from the 2 story house. If the windows weren't painted shut we might be able to get some eye-level shooting this year. Will try this Sunday and post eye-level-through-dirty-glass shot to see if that tops a shooting at the white sky shot.
04-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #1642
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course i have never even seen a snow blower. .

04-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #1643
Veteran Member

Ramiot, fine shots of everything I missed on my road trip to FL last month. Especially that Egret in breeding plummage, an exact mirror image of the cover shot of George Lepp's book Wildlife Photograpy - Stories from the Field. Glad to see its a repeatable shot so I can have a chance some day.

Actually, YOUR shot is the be better of the two birds. Much nicer plummage. You will be impressed with your own shot if you check out the book cover which I used to think was the crowing acheivement in Egret plummage shots....until I saw yours.

I would also love a chance to shoot those pinkish spoonbills.
Thanks Lee, the K5 and the DA*300mm realy helped in getting those shots. I have just bought a A*600mm which I hope will help me get nicer pictures next trip to Florida. The roseate spoonbill was photographed at Sanibel Island and the Great Egret at Wakodahatchee in Boynton Beach. Thanks for your kind words.
04-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #1644
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After my 15 day road trip in FL I can't even imagine coming home to fill up the snow blower. Of course i have never even seen a snow blower. .
I wish I didn't have to. After that posting, I ran out of gas. My next door neighbour's snow blower burnt it's drive belt, so I got to use his gas. On his snow as well as mine. Then I had to go into the basement and dig out a shear pin for the augur, having sheared one on the icy snow while burning up his gas. The mountains are nice, and I should not complain. After all, they told me when I moved up here that there are only two seasons: Winter and July.
04-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #1645
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramiot Quote
Thanks Lee, the K5 and the DA*300mm realy helped in getting those shots. I have just bought a A*600mm which I hope will help me get nicer pictures next trip to Florida. The roseate spoonbill was photographed at Sanibel Island and the Great Egret at Wakodahatchee in Boynton Beach. Thanks for your kind words.
I made a mistake last month in that case. Instead of a planned side trip to Sanibel I drifted the Jewel River. Got lots of fun shots but next time its Sanibel. Congrats on the A*600. Hope it comes with a crew of 3 to carry and set up for you.
04-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #1646
Veteran Member

The yellow crown is stunning. Tough shot with the bright white sky....

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
It might be "only" the best you can do, but it's a fine image in my book. I am going to have to unsubscribe from this thread. It's too hard to take when everyone else has all these fine weather friends to take pictures of, and I had to fill my snowblower's gas tank again today. That's the third jerry can I've emptied this year, and I still have a third of the lawn to blow off. We usually get away with less than two cans.
It has been a grey spring so far here in Victoria but at least it has warmed up. I live on the top of a small mountain so it will be snowing here when I try to head into work and +10 C downtown. It's too steep for snow plows so I have a snow blower for my driveway and the street. Anyways, it won't be long now.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramiot Quote
I received an A*600 a few months ago. I have the 300 and the 1200 so I thought it would be sized somewhere between the two....but it's as small as my 300, just a little longer. I still need to try out a longer plate to move the centre of gravity forward (the tripod collar is way to far back). Looking forward to seeing a few shots from you with it.
04-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #1647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I received an A*600 a few months ago. I have the 300 and the 1200 so I thought it would be sized somewhere between the two....but it's as small as my 300, just a little longer. I still need to try out a longer plate to move the centre of gravity forward (the tripod collar is way to far back). Looking forward to seeing a few shots from you with it.
Now just the A* 400/2.8 and you'll have all the white A* lenses ever produced.

Well except for that unusual A* 135/1.8 I've seen images of floating around on the forums that was a lighter color with the green stripe.

Really though, you're only an A* 85/1.4,135/1.8,200/2.8,300/4, and the 400/2.8 away from having the full A* set.

Where did you two just happen to purchase these A* 600/5.6's anyway? Somehow they escaped my notice...

Edit: Maybe I blew it. I saw an A* 1200 on ebay 6 months ago for $7299. If that was my once in a lifetime shot, It's blown.

Last edited by Clinton; 04-09-2011 at 09:32 PM.
04-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #1648
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Edit: Maybe I blew it. I saw an A* 1200 on ebay 6 months ago for $7299. If that was my once in a lifetime shot, It's blown.

I paid a bit more.....and mine was a very good price. They do come up from time to time....not once in a lifetime anymore due to the Pentax market share. But that could change with the K-5 and whatever is the replacement.

Last edited by SteveM; 04-10-2011 at 09:12 AM.
04-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #1649
Veteran Member

Well we put out suet a month ago hoping to see some birds. All hell broke lose and out back yard is full of birds I've never seen before.

I'm guessing this is a wood pecker from what I've watched them do to the side of the house Was dusk so it's a little dark....

Both A*300

And the larger of the woodpeckers.....

Last edited by SteveM; 04-10-2011 at 12:15 AM.
04-10-2011, 02:52 AM   #1650
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a Northern Flicker and a Pileated Woodpecker. Really nice stuff, and right in your back yard! Congrats. It's interesting that the flickers in your part of the world are coloured slightly differently, ours having a black patch behind the beak and a brown face and throat.

Last edited by G_Money; 04-10-2011 at 03:07 AM.