Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #17146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Great catch, Derek, the Clark's in flight.
Yep, real nice.

06-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #17147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Un-Burrowed Owl
I rather like that. Very nice work!
06-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #17148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Willow Flycatcher???
Willow Flycatcher seems to be the best fit. However, those Empidonax flycatchers are a lot easier to identify by song than by sight. By the looks of it, he was singing too.
06-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #17149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Willow Flycatcher seems to be the best fit. However, those Empidonax flycatchers are a lot easier to identify by song than by sight. By the looks of it, he was singing too.
Merlin disagrees

06-15-2015, 07:39 PM - 8 Likes   #17150

Black Souldered Kite

This Black Shouldered Kite was hunting from a perch beside a rural highway in central Victoria. I stopped the car and was able to slowly approach him to about 20m before he flew off to another perch nearby. The winter morning sun catching the bright orange eye of this beautiful bird. K3 with DA*300mm and Pentax 1.4x TC (handheld). Both shots at 1/2000, F8 and ISO400
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #17151
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a beautiful bird, and well captured.
06-16-2015, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #17152
Pentaxian

Chance upon this Sunda pygmy woodpecker (Picoides moluccensis, the smallest woodpecker in Singapore, Size range: 11.5-12.5 cm ) on last Thursday. A species of bird in the Picidae family, commonly seen in Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. Mummy feeding the chick with about half an hour interval (slightly different observations from the Coppersmith Barbet, both the father and mother take turn during the feeding process).

Sharing the video clip:

06-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #17153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RedBoomer Quote
This Black Shouldered Kite was hunting from a perch beside a rural highway in central Victoria. I stopped the car and was able to slowly approach him to about 20m before he flew off to another perch nearby. The winter morning sun catching the bright orange eye of this beautiful bird. K3 with DA*300mm and Pentax 1.4x TC (handheld). Both shots at 1/2000, F8 and ISO400
Gorgeous!

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2015 at 12:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Merlin disagrees
Cornell Lab or Ornithology's Merlin Photo ID (beta) or the Merlin Bird ID smart phone app? If the former, what do its pattern recognition algorithms suggest?

Assuming the pic was taken somewhere in BC of a breeding-plumage adult: the pale underparts, completely pale lower mandible, and short primary extension eliminate Western Wood-Pewee. The lack of prominent eye-ring, inconspicuous wing-bars, short primary extension and completely pale lower mandible eliminate Pacific-slope, Alder, Least, Hammond's, Dusky and Gray Flycatchers. This leaves the northwestern subspecies of Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax trailli brewsteri).

When I loaded the second photo in Merlin Photo ID, it came up with five possible identities: Mallard (female or eclipse male), Red Crossbill (female or juvenile), Veery, Northern Flicker (Red-shafted subspecies), and Double-crested Cormorant! Guffaw

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 06-16-2015 at 07:59 AM. Reason: additional info
06-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #17154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Gorgeous!

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2015 at 12:10 ----------

Cornell Lab or Ornithology's Merlin Photo ID (beta) or the Merlin Bird ID smart phone app? If the former, what do its pattern recognition algorithms suggest?

Assuming the pic was taken somewhere in BC of a breeding-plumage adult: the pale underparts, completely pale lower mandible, and short primary extension eliminate Western Wood-Pewee. The lack of prominent eye-ring, inconspicuous wing-bars, short primary extension and completely pale lower mandible eliminate Pacific-slope, Alder, Least, Hammond's, Dusky and Gray Flycatchers. This leaves the northwestern subspecies of Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax trailli brewsteri).
The PhotoID (beta) suggested Least as it's number 1 suggestion.

The other Empidonax were not even in the top 10.
06-16-2015, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #17155
Veteran Member

my daughter at 300mm. DA55-300

06-16-2015, 09:24 AM - 6 Likes   #17156
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When its comes to bird ID I'm going to go with pete-tarmigan over the computer any day Ben, he's forgotten more than I'll ever know
While we are on the topic of bird ID what is this guy, I think Swainson's and Merlin (beta) had this as first pick but it also had house finch as a possibility
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #17157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
When its comes to bird ID I'm going to go with pete-tarmigan over the computer any day Ben, he's forgotten more than I'll ever know
While we are on the topic of bird ID what is this guy, I think Swainson's and Merlin (beta) had this as first pick but it also had house finch as a possibility
When I see a House Finch with a enormous rodent in its grasp………………..great image rk
06-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #17158
Veteran Member

The other Empidonax were not even in the top 10.
How many of the Empidonax species and how many examples of each does it have in its database? It is only able "to recognize 400 of North America’s most common bird species based on images" (see below).

Not much basis to work from.

Of the hundreds of Least Flycatchers I have seen singing that species' diagnostic song or had in the hand while banding, all (in breeding plumage) had a far more conspicuous eye ring and wing bars than the bird in the photos, not to mention shorter bill with dark tip to the lower mandible. Alder and Gray are the only species that come close to this bird. In my experience, Pacific-slope, Least, Hammond's and Dusky all come in third place as candidates for this bird.

From the Merlin website:

"About Merlin Bird Photo ID

Can a computer identify bird species in photos? Researchers at Cornell Tech and Caltech have partnered with the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to train Merlin Bird Photo ID to recognize 400 of North America’s most common bird species based on images.

Sometimes Merlin gets it right, just like magic. Other times, Merlin gets it wrong–sometimes way wrong. What’s going on behind the scenes–and how can you help us keep improving Merlin’s accuracy?

The challenge: Asking computers to identify bird species is a challenge not only because some species look so alike, but also because their shape varies from moment to moment. On top of that, photographs of birds often include complex backgrounds, and the birds may be far away or blurry.

The solution: Computer vision researchers create “convolutional network” systems that use patterns in data to train the computer and improve its performance. These systems require massive numbers of images as well as accurate image labels such the type of object, and where the object is in the image. Fortunately, bird watchers are renowned for taking lots of photos and for contributing millions of observations in citizen-science projects. Thousands of people have contributed photos and tagged them to teach Merlin to recognize birds."

---------- Post added 16th Jun 2015 at 17:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
The detail on the back and wings is beautiful -- the primaries, secondaries and tertials stick out almost like 3-D.

I agree on Swainson's, based on my experience with them while growing up and working on the Prairies (not to mention subsequent trips to this species' range). Juvenile to be exact, somewhere on the gradient from intermediate to dark morphs. The dark morph gets common west of the Sask-Alberta border.
06-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #17159
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
When I see a House Finch with a enormous rodent in its grasp………………..great image rk
That would be something to see!!

Thanks for the comment Pete he was sitting on a fence post drying out after a very rainy day, the overcast but reasonably bright day gave me really nice light for the photo.
06-17-2015, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #17160
Pentaxian

Asian glossy starling.