Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #18196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
shot with an inexpensive lens
This is a 95% crop with the same inexpensive lens. Boring subject, but that's the photographer's fault.

Here is the uncropped version:

10-08-2015, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #18197
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
This is a 95% crop with the same inexpensive lens. Boring subject, but that's the photographer's fault.
Nice duckie! Ducks are never boring to me.....I'd love to have a few around here to shoot!

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I call it a lot of work! OTOH, it makes for leisurely shooting which I favor--especially after yesterdays fruitless field expedition.
Yes, when you come back empty it is disappointing. Meanwhile, I sit here sipping my ice tea or coffee and have shooting opportunities about every 4-5 minutes on average. It gets sort of boring, but it is still addictive. Every shot has the potential to be a little different or a little better than the last one.
I gave up my virtue of real "safari hunts" in the wild when Otis sat me down and explained the facts of life and gave me that course he offers on "Leisurely Living". Soon after, I was cheating like Otis and enjoying every minute of it!

I can shoot these all day long....just aim out my office windows and snap. What's it worth? Not much really, but I get to snap and I get to process and imagine I am out in the Woods of Otis where danger lurks at every turn and only my awesome stamina and heroic bravery keep me going....

Shot a few minutes ago.....

No chiggers, no mosquitoes, no big bears or lions waiting to grab me.....just Otis asleep in a tree above practicing what he preaches!

Regards!
10-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #18198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice duckie! Ducks are never boring to me.....I'd love to have a few around here to shoot!

Yes, when you come back empty it is disappointing. Meanwhile, I sit here sipping my ice tea or coffee and have shooting opportunities about every 4-5 minutes on average. It gets sort of boring, but it is still addictive. Every shot has the potential to be a little different or a little better than the last one.
I gave up my virtue of real "safari hunts" in the wild when Otis sat me down and explained the facts of life and gave me that course he offers on "Leisurely Living". Soon after, I was cheating like Otis and enjoying every minute of it!

I can shoot these all day long....just aim out my office windows and snap. What's it worth? Not much really, but I get to snap and I get to process and imagine I am out in the Woods of Otis where danger lurks at every turn and only my awesome stamina and heroic bravery keep me going....

Shot a few minutes ago.....

No chiggers, no mosquitoes, no big bears or lions waiting to grab me.....just Otis asleep in a tree above practicing what he preaches!

Regards!

Oh what I'd give to have birds with color! Sparrows only come in the same old drab, browns and grays.... day after day! I could get VERY creative if I had more of a pallet to work with! I envy you, Rupert.
10-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #18199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Oh what I'd give to have birds with color! Sparrows only come in the same old drab, browns and grays.... day after day! I could get VERY creative if I had more of a pallet to work with! I envy you, Rupert.
I won't lie to you Dewman, it is a cushy set up I have here. I have a fairly decent variety of birds that come daily and most stick around off and on all day. Of course, I do keep plenty of feed on the cedar fence for them, so that helps plenty.

To his credit...I owe it all to Otis' ingenuity...and my laziness!
98% of these are shot out my office windows, which shows the variety of birds that come most often. In the winter I do get a few more varieties that show up for a free meal twice a day...or more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129469263@N03/albums/72157651162955781

Regards!

10-08-2015, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #18200
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow! There are some wonderful images here. It's been rather thin shooting around here lately. For various reasons I didn't get to Hot August Nights for the cars this year and smoke from forest fires made the hot air balloon races a bust. The weather ruined the blood supermoon and tonight's Draconids meteor shower is obscured by thin cloud layer. I did get out to the air races and while going through some of the pics I realized that my Sigma 150-500 was sharp enough that I could read the airplane instruments.
10-08-2015, 08:48 PM - 2 Likes   #18201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was lucky to be in Bangkok for business for a week. Didn't really have much time for birding so I only took the FA*300 f4.5 as my longest lens with me.
I checked out the nearest local park for a couple of afternoons and came away with some not so sharp pictures because it was overcast both days.

Sunbird

Brown Shrike

Can't identify this guy yet but it sure was loud. May be Ken or Pentaxians can ID this for me.

Last edited by swip; 10-09-2015 at 04:56 AM.
10-08-2015, 11:23 PM   #18202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't lie to you Dewman, it is a cushy set up I have here. I have a fairly decent variety of birds that come daily and most stick around off and on all day. Of course, I do keep plenty of feed on the cedar fence for them, so that helps plenty.

To his credit...I owe it all to Otis' ingenuity...and my laziness!
98% of these are shot out my office windows, which shows the variety of birds that come most often. In the winter I do get a few more varieties that show up for a free meal twice a day...or more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129469263@N03/albums/72157651162955781

Regards!

My goodness, the variety of birds you have that come within distance of your office windows is astounding, to say the least! You have no idea how envious I am! And your images are absolutely top drawer. Heck, even the rooster pictures are killer! You are indeed a lucky man to have all those subjects at your disposal. Amazing, indeed.

In regards to my "cheating" when it comes to birding..... there are days when just walking out to my mailbox, some 68 steps from my front door is a real challenge, so..... "cheating" for birding it a must! I'd give a pretty penny it I had the wherewithal to wander in the woods where the "real birds" reside. Birds AND wildlife. 'cause we've got a heck of a lot of both here in Idaho. But, I'll take what I can get, and for the moment, it's sparrows I can "cheat" into coming within distance of my 55-300mm ED lens. I don't have, nor can I afford all the exotic lenses I read about here on PF.

About the only variety I can add to my birding is to change the colors of my background..... and occasionally move the perches in a different position to suit the sunlight. But, what the hey, I'm havin' fun.... and it sure beats watching Oprah! The guy who said "Gettin' old ain't for sissies" was one wise man!

I've noticed some of Otis' cousins cruising the fence rails lately, so I'm contemplating "baiting" them in hopes of getting some decent close-ups similar to those you have of Otis. I don't have any illusions of matching your images.... but, I'm more than willing to give it a whirl. From my "hide" to the squirrel run is about 25-30 feet, so that ought to be do-able.... if I "cheat."

---------- Post added 10-09-15 at 12:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote

Here is the uncropped version:

For an inexpensive lens, it does pretty well at times, doesn't it? Very nice work.

Last edited by Dewman; 10-08-2015 at 11:29 PM.
10-08-2015, 11:51 PM   #18203

Pentax K5 - DA*300/f4 + 1.7x TC

I got focussed, Did you? [

Last edited by Sudhakar; 10-08-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Typo
10-09-2015, 06:27 AM   #18204
Veteran Member

And your images are absolutely top drawer. Heck, even the rooster pictures are killer! You are indeed a lucky man to have all those subjects at your disposal. Amazing, indeed.
Thank you Dewman, and indeed I am a lucky man in many ways...so many ways! My shots are not as impressive as what I see here on PF by some genuinely skilled shooters, but they are often satisfying to me and fun to shoot. Fun to shoot......that's important!

there are days when just walking out to my mailbox, some 68 steps from my front door is a real challenge, so..... "cheating" for birding it a must!
I broke one ankle in '92 and they said I may never walk on it again.....broke my left foot all to hell in 2013...they said the same thing. Still walking! But...it isn't always easy so I do understand your situation. Otis has been a real help in teaching me how to cheat to make life easier!

But, what the hey, I'm havin' fun.... and it sure beats watching Oprah!
Havin' fun! Now that is key to the joy of life! I see so many shooters that are deadly serious, not a lick of humor in them, and though they may be superb shooters, they have missed the joy of life as we know it.

The guy who said "Gettin' old ain't for sissies" was one wise man!
Truer words were never spoken! I have to fight it every day...and it is damn tiring!

I've noticed some of Otis' cousins cruising the fence rails lately, so I'm contemplating "baiting" them in hopes of getting some decent close-ups similar to those you have of Otis.
This is easy......a squirrel feeder with black oil sunflower seeds will give you a steady supply of squirrels to shoot. Roasted peanuts (No raw!) will also bring them running. Or....print some big signs that say "Off Limits to Squirrels" and post on your bird feeders....they'll come in record numbers!

Before I close....you have to check out my Big Chicken story.......I miss my Big Chicken!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/291610-nature-stray-chicken.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/291958-nature-my-big-chicken.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/291804-hilarious.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/292487-breaking-news.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/294546-big-chicken-daddy.html

My Big Chicken is still going strong and now has many dozens of offspring! He was the neatest thing since Otis!

Best Regards.....& I enjoyed this conversation with you! Sure beats "drag & drop" of photos with no interaction.
10-09-2015, 07:05 AM - 2 Likes   #18205
Pentaxian

This morning George and Martha met at the usual dead Poplar, review their mission assignments, and proceeded to ascertain the area. A400 HH
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #18206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
This morning George and Martha met at the usual dead Poplar, review their mission assignments, and proceeded to ascertain the area. A400 HH
Nice! They are looking for squirrels....you should advise them that Otis has equipped his huge Army of Squirrels with the new model rapid fire Red Ryder BB guns. Maybe they should look for rabbits instead?

Regards!

---------- Post added 10-09-15 at 09:52 AM ----------

Otis claims these Jays taste "just like chickin" ...I dunno, but there are plenty of them around here!

Regards!
10-09-2015, 01:22 PM - 3 Likes   #18207
Pentaxian

dfa150-450

10-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #18208
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In need of a wash and brush up

I see so many shooters that are deadly serious, not a lick of humor in them, and though they may be superb shooters, they have missed the joy of life as we know it.
I'm happy wandering round my local duckpond/park - I'll not get in National Geographic but then not many people do

10-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #18209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very noticable drop-off in sharpness!

I've been shooting birds from a "hide" in my dining room at a distance of about +/- 12'. I've been using a DA L 55-300mm lens with what I would consider very good sharpness. Suddenly, I've noticed a very decreased sharpness in my images. Looking back to see what might possibly be the difference, I remembered I had installed a Tiffen UF filter and a lens hood, mostly out of concern for the lens itself being exposed to whatever might come in contact with it.

I'm coming to you folks who routinely shoot using these longer FL lenses asking.... do you think the UV filter might be the reason for my drop-off in sharpness? Other than the filter and the lens hood, nothing..... NOTHING else has changed.

I realize that this lens isn't the latest, greatest piece of glass for such endeavors, but, up until today, it's performed quite admirably. I've removed the UV lens and changed my background a little and I'll take some test shots this afternoon and see for sure.... but I thought I'd run this past you guys.
10-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #18210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That lens should not degrade all by itself. The hood is a good idea. The UV filter, not so much. I gave up using "protective" filters 25 years ago, and haven't lost a front element yet. I did break my M 400/5.6 in half - but that was my fault for not tightening the ball head properly.

You can certainly eliminate the filter and try shooting again. If the sharpness comes back, you have found the culprit.
« *Macro* lens club | - »