Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91898 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 05:55 AM   #19396
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cabela's used to offer a nice blind suitable for photography. It was basically a folding chair with a couple of hoops for a camouflage up-over and drape to the ground cover. Didn't purchase one because I already have a couple of hides that of late have gotten only minimal use. My favorite is a half-umbrella intended to provide overhead cover for a deer hunter in one of those tree-platform hides. Opened and set with the cut-off side on the ground, the stem of the umbrella attached to the forward leg of a tripod, it provides almost complete cover, needing only a small piece of camouflage cloth draped atop camera and head. Either sit on the ground, maybe with a pad, or use a little folding camp stool for comfort. Works fine as long as the birds are in front of you.

01-18-2016, 05:56 AM - 3 Likes   #19397
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A snowy with his feathers up.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:34 PM.
01-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #19398
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Cabela's used to offer a nice blind suitable for photography. It was basically a folding chair with a couple of hoops for a camouflage up-over and drape to the ground cover. .
This?

Ameristep
01-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #19399
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This?

Ameristep
Yes, Looks as though it would work as a comfy photo blind, although the 12lb carry weight is a bit high.

01-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #19400
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Yes, Looks as though it would work as a comfy photo blind, although the 12lb carry weight is a bit high.
Especially if you are already carrying 10 lbs of photo gear. But I shoot in some places you don't have to walk very far...
01-18-2016, 09:15 AM - 5 Likes   #19401
Pentaxian

It's cold today -20º C, but, the colder it gets the more birds turn up at the feeders.

I tried the A-400 and 1.7 today, it was way to long. I couldn't get the whole bird in the frame, crazy shallow DoF. I did get a few small bird images though,

two is a few, right?

Then I took the 1.7 off for the larger birds... I didn't change the exif so don't get fooled, they are 400mm not 700mm

01-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #19402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a really rare complaint, Norm, that the lens is too long!

01-18-2016, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #19403
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Nice ones Norm....what is the 3rd birdie? Very fine shots of him.

Cold here too...29F early this morning but will be near 70F tomorrow!

I got this one early today.....fluffed up for the cold. I'd love to get lower than ISO 2000, but you take what you can get.....

No handsome squirrels lately. They are on strike and won't pose unless I agree to bring them hot chocolate every morning at 7am. I already furnish them kegs of cold beer in the summer months and I'll be damn if I get up early and make hot chocolate for a bunch of damn renegade squirrels.

Regards!
01-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #19404
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Especially if you are already carrying 10 lbs of photo gear. But I shoot in some places you don't have to walk very far...
Most photoblinds are location equipment = you know exactly where you're going and the most likely object of your photography. For such situations, I use a home-made wheeled carry device (sort of like a hand truck, but lighter construction and wheels set up for much greater ground clearance so I can pull it through tallish grass. Only the lightest blinds, such as the umbrella type I described (less than a pound, maybe 2.5 lb with a camp stool) are take-along-and-find-opportunities equipment.
01-18-2016, 12:16 PM - 2 Likes   #19405
Veteran Member

01-18-2016, 12:25 PM - 3 Likes   #19406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Almost looks like a two-headed heron.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-29-2016 at 12:34 PM.
01-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #19407
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That's a really rare complaint, Norm, that the lens is too long!
the DOF issue goes with the the focal length, and I find my self cutting back on the focal length, and raising the ISO
just to get a high f stop to manage the issue. I frequently see the DoF less than the size of the bird, so need to get the bird
cross ways to the camera because if it's standing at an angle, you have to decide which inch or two of it you want in focus.
01-18-2016, 02:27 PM - 7 Likes   #19408
Pentaxian

I went over to the park today, I thought it was time to check up on the Grey Jays....

In the parking lot of Opeongo Road, I met this guy Mike.

Who ever shoots eagles with a Pentax 600mm lens at Conowingo Dam, Mike has talked to you.

He hauled a table, a tripod with a clamp attached and proceeded to set up the following scene.

Well the thing is , with so much equipment, sometimes the equipment gets in the way. The birds seemed very curious about it.

And of course the only image you get of a jumping bird has the feed in the picture. I think he was jumping for joy at the site of that peanut.

But often enough to make it worth your while, you do get the nice "pristine" image you wanted.
It was especially worth my while as all I contributed was a bit of seed I was just going to spread around anyway.

Earlier the same day..

It's nice to get out, a change is as good as a rest.

Last edited by normhead; 01-18-2016 at 05:12 PM.
01-18-2016, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #19409
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tom turkey relaxed, not in display mode. When the sun catches the feathers to give that bronze color they're really quite handsome.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-11-2017 at 04:09 PM.
01-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #19410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I went over tot he park today, I thought it was time to check up on the Grey Jays....

In the parking lot of Opeongo Road, I met this guy Mike.

Who ever shoots eagles with a Pentax 600mm lens at Conowingo Dam, Mike has talked to you.

He hauled a table, a tripod with a clamp attached and proceeded to set up the following scene.

Well the thing is , with so much equipment, sometimes the equipment gets in the way. The birds seemed very curious about it.

And of course the only image you get of a jumping bird has the feed in the picture. I think he was jumping for joy at the site of that peanut.

But often enough to make it worth your while, you do get the nice "pristine" image you wanted.
It was especially worth my while as all I contributed was a bit of seed I was just going to spread around anyway.
rlier the same day..

It's nice to get out, a change is as good as a rest.
I'd call that black and white bird that isn't afraid of much a "camp robber" or more formally a Gray Jay.

Just be glad you weren't cooking breakfast outside. If you put the bacon in the skillet and look around to find
an egg to add to the skillet --the bacon will be gone... their trademark habit is to grab all they can fly with and go hide it
and come back for more. I've got a few of them that show on my back porch. they don't care much for sunflower seeds, but a bread crust or some scraps of waffle, and they are 'on you'. I haven't quite had them land on my hand but close.
« The Tammy Club! | - »