Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 06:05 AM   #19471
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Thanks Tim. Next time I'm out in the frost, I'll try and remember that.
I once tried to get a picture of a flock of emus at about 400m in the Flinders, near Hawker, when it was about 38C with a 1000mm mirror. The scintillation was so bad they were barely discernible and certainly the results were not sharable.

---------- Post added 01-22-16 at 11:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
The coldest I have ever been in was maybe 28 Fahrenheit (-2C). I don't even want to know how -14C (7F) would feel. I've only experienced snow a couple times and have no want to experience it again. I prefer hot, and if ever you want to talk about ways to keep your camera from showing the overheating indicator in 110F (43C), I will gladly speak up. I dislike the winter, and I hate being cold. I prefer to wear less clothing rather than wearing it in layers. It's 42F (5C) here right now, and the temp in my house is 71F (21C). I am wearing a jacket and am still cold. My comfort zone is 90F+ (32C) for outdoor weather.
The coldest I have sen on my car dashboard thermometer was a couple of days ago: -5.5C, but they were Volkswagen numbers. The local radio was talking of some other areas, not where I was, which are famous for cold being -8 an -9C.

01-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #19472
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The real problem I have with cold, and had even when I was a kid, are the sinuses areas near my eyes which feel the cold more than any other part of my body including hands and feet.
40F and below and my nose becomes a faucet. Wearing a mask just means that your dripping all over the mask and now have a face full of it.
01-22-2016, 06:14 AM   #19473
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
40F and below and my nose becomes a faucet. Wearing a mask just means that your dripping all over the mask and now have a face full of it.
Gee, thanks for sharing that . I'd probably need to sew a sock onto the ski mask to cover my nose . My nose holds the discharge until I get back inside and its contents thaw

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-22-2016 at 06:19 AM.
01-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #19474
Veteran Member

Gee, thanks for sharing that . I'd probably need to sew a sock onto the ski mask to cover my nose . My nose hold the discharge until I get back inside and its contents thaw
I may have exaggerated it a bit, but that's how it feels. I assumed that's what you meant when you said that it affects your sinuses.

01-22-2016, 06:29 AM   #19475
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may have exaggerated it a bit, but that's how it feels. I assumed that's what you meant when you said that it affects your sinuses.
Yes. The sensation I get on a cold, windy day if the region above and around the sides of my eyes is uncovered is having large ice cubes just inside my skull. The ski mask is not the 3-opening type that criminals prefer. It has a head piece with integral ear flaps that come forward enough to extend just past the sides of my eyes, and then it has a chin-mouth-nose guard that can be pulled up to just below my eyes if desired. I did have a knitted 3-opening mask for a while, but it was scratchy and irritating, with fibers even getting into my eyes. Warm but not at all comfortable. Polartech is an absolutely wonderful fabric. Very warm but vastly softer and cozier than wool or any artificial yarn that's made into cloth by knitting.
01-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #19476
Pentaxian

The coldest I have ever been in was maybe 28 Fahrenheit (-2C). I don't even want to know how -14C (7F) would feel. I've only experienced snow a couple times and have no want to experience it again.
My dad was born in Georgia, we moved to Canada in 1958, and he never once swam in Canadian water. He'd put on his swim suit, put his toe in and say "It's too cold." Both myself and my kids have gone swimming in practically glacial pools, so aversion to the cold is not hereditary, but it might be an acquired taste.
01-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #19477
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is truth to that but not entirely. Although I doubt there is definitive proof of a genetic basis for cold or heat sensitivity, there are certainly individual differences in people raised side-by-side, and at least some statistical data that indicates red-headed (pale-eyed, freckle-faced) people have lower tolerance of extreme heat. British army apparently discovered that during WWII based on profiles of soldiers physiologically incapacitated in the North African and Southeast Asian theaters where red-heads were disproportionally impacted.

01-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #19478
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AHA! I didn't have to resort to a dictionary to find out what the heck scintillation is. It showed up in the subsequent posts. When I use the M 400 + 1.7X it sometimes makes it impossible to get a clear image. The only solution I have found to the problem is a visit to a local air conditioned adult beverage dispensation outlet and try again maņana.

---------- Post added 2016-01-22 at 09:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My dad was born in Georgia, we moved to Canada in 1958, and he never once swam in Canadian water. He'd put on his swim suit, put his toe in and say "It's too cold." Both myself and my kids have gone swimming in practically glacial pools, so aversion to the cold is not hereditary, but it might be an acquired taste.
From 2000 to 2004 I was on a contract in Chicago. The first summer was a killer for me: 95° at 95% humidity was way beyond my tolerance. The next year was fine; my body had adjusted.

As to cold, I was born and raised on the Wet Coast of Canada, where +5° F (-15° C) is somewhere near the record cold. When I moved to Sparwood, BC, the first January I was here there was a week straight with temperatures of -40° or colder. (That number is the same in either scale) That was a real shock to my system, lemme tellya. I've now adapted. Genetically, central UK mix of every invader from Vikings to Normans and later. Maybe that's the adaptive index I have. D***ed if I know.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 01-22-2016 at 09:06 AM.
01-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #19479
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

and at least some statistical data that indicates red-headed (pale-eyed, freckle-faced) people have lower tolerance of extreme heat.
I've worked entire days in heat well over 100F for many years with little or no problem. I am not as heat tolerant in my old age, but can still handle it very well......far above average. It's the cold I can't handle at all...below 60F and I am miserable, can barely think, and when I do think it is only about getting warmer.

I'm one of those "pale" people...the exception maybe? I have a sister that could visit Antarctica and when she left it would be a tropical forest.....of course she weighs around 300# and you don't need a furnace when she is around.
Otis says that was not PC....he is real concerned about PC ( I bet!) ever since he got me in trouble with those nasty jokes he asked me to post....

Anyhow, if I could shoot at ISO 800 or below and at f8 more often, I could get more half decent shots to post here......love the Bigma bokeh!
Imagine what a fine shot this would have been if it was a handsome squirrel!

Regards!....working in my shop again today, waiting for it to warm up to 85F inside..it is currently 40F outside.
01-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #19480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards!....working in my shop again today, waiting for it to warm up to 85F inside..it is currently 40F outside.
Up here, we wear T shits outside when it hits 40F, in fact I've seen Canadians working out in short sleeve shirts in -20ēC. If you've been in -40ēC for a while, -20ēC feels warm.

My son, raised in Timmins Ontario, where -40 was going to happen at least 2 weeks a year, looked at his dog and decided that cold was mind over matter. He never wore anything but indoor clothes until the weather got below freezing.
01-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #19481
Pentaxian

There aren't too many lenses after 300mm that are frequently used, so all of the discussions happened during the 1st 100 pages. You're still welcomed to discuss long lenses though.
Need a discussion topic? I recently discovered that the M400/5.6 is about twice as long as the M*300/4, but only 50% heavier. Discuss.

---------- Post added 01-22-16 at 11:01 AM ----------

See I tried to start a discussion on shooting in -14ēC, but no, no one wants to talk about that.
You see, discussion of shooting in -14C is not a discussion about long lenses. This kind of discussion is probably best had on your psychiatrist's couch, anyway.
01-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #19482
Veteran Member

I can tell you for a fact, to some degree our bodies adapt to our environment, making the other extreme less tolerable. In hot climates, blood vessels move closer to the surface of the skin, our blood becomes slightly thinner and sweat glands expand and become more active. Our entire circulatory system changes physiologically to regulate body temperature. These changes make cold less tolerable.

I grew up in the moist temperate climate of Seattle. But I have lived in Wyoming, Saudi Arabia and now Phoenix. I can state with certainty that my tolerance for cold (which was never very high to begin with) is much worse after 20 years in Arizona. I also suffer from horrible allergies because my sinuses have never really adapted to the dry winters. I actually look forward to monsoon season because I can breathe better in the higher humidity. So obviously some parts of the body don't adapt as well.

I wear light jackets and pants in temps up to low 70's. When I went back to Seattle to visit relatives in September, they were all in shorts and light shirts. Between my being "overdressed for the weather" and my tan, it was painfully obvious that I was from out of town.

It's the same thing here, now. When out golfing, you can spot a winter visitor, because it's 65 and sunny and they are in shorts and polo shirts. Every "native" is wearing long pants and at least a sweater or thick long sleeve shirt.
01-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #19483
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
You see, discussion of shooting in -14C is not a discussion about long lenses. This kind of discussion is probably best had on your psychiatrist's couch, anyway.
It is if you make it "shooting with long lenses at -14ēC." You just have to add more words.

How about a session on trying to motivate yourself to go out in -14 when all you see are the same birds you photographed yesterday. Would anyone really notice the difference when if I posted yesterdays and claimed they were today's?

OK, is this from today or yesterday... really without the exif, who can tell?

Last edited by normhead; 01-22-2016 at 11:26 AM.
01-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #19484
Veteran Member

OK, is this from today or yesterday... ?
It's from tomorrow.

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Need a discussion topic? I recently discovered that the M400/5.6 is about twice as long as the M*300/4, but only 50% heavier. Discuss.[COLOR="Silver"]
No pics from the M*300/4? Did you get that one on eBay? How do you like it? Handling? Image quality? Comparable to any of the other *300's?
01-22-2016, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #19485
Pentaxian

No pics from the M*300/4? Did you get that one on eBay? How do you like it? Handling? Image quality? Comparable to any of the other *300's?
I did follow-up on the link you sent me and bought the lens. It is pristine, and came with the original box, case, strap, and paperwork. I don't have any photos yet worth taking due to inclement weather (averaging like -5C for the past week or two here), but I'll share with this group when I do. And I'm pretty sure I said I'd owe you a beer as a finder's fee, didn't I?