Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #20086
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI: I ran some tests with the 300 + TC (and several other lenses). The results with the 300 +TC combination were a little disappointing. IQ with both the 60~250 and 150~450 with TC looked better.

03-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #20087
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Is this with the HDtc?
I'm curious, might be picking one up soon. How are your overall feelings of it? (or the TC you own in general...)

-Logan
Yes, with the 1.4 HD TC. I don't think the problem I have has to do with all HD TC's. Just my lack of experience diagnosing first time camera problems.

My issue just started. One day everything was sharp and AF was perfect as it has been since I got the TC over a year ago. I took the TC off and used the DA*300 without it for a day. No problems without it.

The next day I put the HD TC back on, and it was backfocusing. I noticed that it was harder to get focus while looking through the viewfinder, but assumed that it was just poor lighting from an overcast day while shooting. When looking at the pics on the PC, the focus was off on all of them. I cleaned front and rear of the lens and TC and it focuses much better, but still not perfect. It wasn't dirty before cleaning, but I had to rule that out. I kind of think that taking it off and putting it back on has something to do with it, which is why I am about to take a closer look at the contacts.

Before the problem started, I could look through the viewfinder, manually focus, and get it right every time. Now, it's like I am looking through a window and harder to tell if I am in focus or not.

Outside of my current problem, the HD TC is great. With support from a monopod, I prefer to use it on the DA*300 than without. The HD TC is the reason why I have no interest in the 150-450. When you get the focus right, it is just as sharp as the DA*300 without the TC.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The results with the 300 +TC combination were a little disappointing.
I disagree.

Some examples previously posted to this thread. all with the 1.4 HD TC.

03-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #20088
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Yes, with the 1.4 HD TC. I don't think the problem I have has to do with all HD TC's. Just my lack of experience diagnosing first time camera problems.

My issue just started. One day everything was sharp and AF was perfect as it has been since I got the TC over a year ago. I took the TC off and used the DA*300 without it for a day. No problems without it.

The next day I put the HD TC back on, and it was backfocusing. I noticed that it was harder to get focus while looking through the viewfinder, but assumed that it was just poor lighting from an overcast day while shooting. When looking at the pics on the PC, the focus was off on all of them. I cleaned front and rear of the lens and TC and it focuses much better, but still not perfect. It wasn't dirty before cleaning, but I had to rule that out. I kind of think that taking it off and putting it back on has something to do with it, which is why I am about to take a closer look at the contacts.

Before the problem started, I could look through the viewfinder, manually focus, and get it right every time. Now, it's like I am looking through a window and harder to tell if I am in focus or not.

Outside of my current problem, the HD TC is great. With support from a monopod, I prefer to use it on the DA*300 than without. The HD TC is the reason why I have no interest in the 150-450. When you get the focus right, it is just as sharp as the DA*300 without the TC.

I disagree.

IQ certainly is not an issue, great shots!

I wonder if cleaning the contacts on the TC would help.
Is the focus off with the Live View as well?
Not that I can provide much help with the problem, just curious is all.

I think once I get an HD tc I'll have no use for my other gear. haha.
I'll keep an 18-135 for travel and a 35macro ltd for walk around/product photography.
Other than that, I don't see the DA*300 leaving my K-3ii any time soon. Spectacular glass in my opinion.
03-03-2016, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #20089
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with r0ckstarr - when my pics with the DA* and TC are less than sharp it's me I blame, not the equipment (especially as most of my shots are handheld).

03-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #20090
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

I disagree.

I also disagree ... I have lot's of good shots with that combination (just look at the HD TC thread)

I would try to get access to another body and another copy of the HD TC to trouble shoot and isolate the problem... I know it's not evident, but that would be ideal...
03-03-2016, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #20091
Pentaxian

It's been a few days since I had the long glass out, I've been shooting with he 70-210 and even the 18-135, while the 60-250 is off for repairs after a drop.

From today's session in the blind..
A-400 plus 1.4 TC,for 560mm.
400 ISO, ƒ16, AV mode

03-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #20092
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

somebody stole my SMC Pentax-F* 300mm F4.5 ED [IF] while I was living in South Africa, so I'd just like to say I'd love to post here but... ;(

03-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #20093
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
somebody stole my SMC Pentax-F* 300mm F4.5 ED [IF] while I was living in South Africa, so I'd just like to say I'd love to post here but... ;(
Bummer! Makes you stomp your feet and yell "OH, phooey!" Had my first Pentax and associated equipment (135mm f3.5 preset; 50mm f4 macro preset, filters, meter, odds & ends) stolen from my apartment, actually a bedroom only rented in a big apartment owned by two widowed sisters. Think it was about the 12th floor of a big building near Columbia U. Police came and talked, jotted down a list, but they obviously had no expectation whatever of recovering anything, and nothing ever was. A totally insignificant robbery for NYC.
03-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #20094
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
"OH, phooey!"
yuh - something like that - sorry to hear you've also suffered that way
03-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #20095
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Where I used to live in college I was robbed about 6 times... Someone had scoped out our house and every time there was a holiday or long weekend they'd hit our house. One of the times I was home asleep when they broke in and I didn't even wake up!
They didn't come in my room but when I woke up in the morning everything was gone, TVs, laptops, video games and systems, even posters on the walls and my change jar in the kitchen...
Though I hadn't yet found my love for photography then, they did steal my GoPro and my motorcycle on separate occasions.

All in all they got away with about $10k worth of stuff. What did the police do? They laughed when I asked if they would fingerprint (You could see the window they came in had been crowbarred...) The police looked at me like I wanted some kind of CSI investigation. The one officer even said, "isn't this the 4th time now I've been out here for home invasion? Go buy a shotgun and read up on self-defense immunity laws.." - swear to god!

Anyways, morale of the story here... Nothing was ever returned or found. The police gave up searching (if ever started), as I expected.
I try to stay optimistic about the whole thing. I am just glad I am not in the position in life where I have to break into homes to get the things that I want.
This all happened a few years ago, and sure it tells a good story now, but I am no lesser off without these things. They are materials and can be replaced over time.

I am sorry for your losses.

I like to think if someone came in my house now and tried walking out with my Pentax gear, I'd probably have to shoot them (Yeah, I took that officer's advice and bought a 12-gauge that following weekend! )
03-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #20096
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's been a few days since I had the long glass out, I've been shooting with he 70-210 and even the 18-135, while the 60-250 is off for repairs after a drop.

From today's session in the blind..
A-400 plus 1.4 TC,for 560mm.
400 ISO, ƒ16, AV mode
Recalling when my M 400/5.6 was in for repairs. I felt like I had lost my eyeglasses.
03-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #20097
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Recalling when my M 400/5.6 was in for repairs. I felt like I had lost my eyeglasses.
The thing is, I might have used it twice a week when it was here, but now every day when I go out I think, 'I wish I had my 60-250'. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
03-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #20098
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The thing is, I might have used it twice a week when it was here, but now every day when I go out I think, 'I wish I had my 60-250'. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Same here. Took the old girl for granted, and then when she wasn't there had zillions of opportunities. When she came back she was in great shape. Got some 630mm shots on the Wet Coast in September with her consort the AFA 1.7x.
03-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #20099
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Same here. Took the old girl for granted, and then when she wasn't there had zillions of opportunities. When she came back she was in great shape. Got some 630mm shots on the Wet Coast in September with her consort the AFA 1.7x.
I can't get my A-400 to reliably AF with my A-400 5.6 and 1.7. Unless it's really bright I use the 1.4 TC and MF. You must have a secret.

Although when I do get something it tends to be spectacular. 680 is not to be sneezed at.

03-03-2016, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #20100
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I don't even want to think about life without my Bigma. I would probably not shoot much of anything without it.

Been missing these little Spanish doves lately...one showed up yesterday looking for a few seeds on the cedar fence...

The Jays continue to win the peanut wars with the lazy squirrels that sleep late every morning when I put out the feed.

Regards!