Photos: Gallery
Another BIF with the FA250-600 + HDTC

This one is not cropped = full size image

03-28-2016, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #20567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
There was a huge amount of diffraction due to the sun hitting the cold water/ice
Adds an interesting effect in this case--congrats!
03-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #20568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Good that spring time is here and I can see other specimen (not only the sparrows and tits).
I guess this is common linnet (female). Just too bad that the light was very dim.

Some birds flying too high...
I like those bird shots especially the last one!
03-28-2016, 10:33 AM - 10 Likes   #20569
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I like those bird shots especially the last one!
Well, no. Just too loud and ravenous.

I tend to prefer these little birds from our backyard...

03-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #20570
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Lovely! What are they?
Egyptian geese. There is the only couple on that lake, have not seen any more.
03-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #20571
Veteran Member

Edit: just realized that Longbow just posted about the same just before .... It's a hasard that I am posting this, it's not a competitive spirit that made me post it now... just got that shot yesterday!

No worries, beautiful shot. At least you had sun which really brings out the colors and does their beauty justice

---------- Post added 03-28-16 at 01:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Ha! I can almost hear that RW Blackbird...They are all over the park where I shoot. I had one dive bomb me last year: got a bit too close to her nest I suppose! They are also notorious for warning other animals of your presence.I'll walk through the woods and the second I hear them sounding the alarm it seems everything scatters and hides; leaving me to have to setup and camp it out until they get comfortable with my presence and come back out.

Can usually get fairly close to them, love their song

03-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #20572
Pentaxian

Another BIF with the FA250-600 + HDTC
Question: are you still able to AF with the TC => @ f8 . Did you prefocus manually? What was you technique?

03-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #20573
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Question: are you still able to AF with the TC => @ f8 . Did you prefocus manually? What was you technique?
I use AF.C with 9 focus point in the center.

Yes, all AF, no real manual prefocus... well not really... I often pre-AF-focus (when I think about it before) in a area about the same distance to where I expect the birds to come... to prevent the lens to hunt all the range (I should use the focus limiter, but I do not reallyexperimented it on that lens)
so When I focus in advance, i.e. farther than the final shots, when they approach in angle from me, then i press the shutter half-way to set the focus on the subject. When they get close enough, I pulll the trigger in hi-speed burst mode and follow the birds passing in front of me
(not sure if I explain correctly, if my explanation makes sense?)

sometimes, when the background is busy like on these ones, it can happen that AF.C lose the bird, so I press the sutter release half-way again, until it has the bird in focus and I burst again while following the birds

that's about it...
03-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #20574
Pentaxian

then i press the shutter half-way to set the focus on the subject.

So you don't use the rear AF button?
03-28-2016, 10:56 PM   #20575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
So you don't use the rear AF button?

Nope!
maybe I should, but I am not used to that... it's all manual or Tav... depends...
03-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #20576
Veteran Member

I'm left eyed and every time I have tried to use BBF, I poke my thumb in my right eye. BBF is awesome for right eyed people though.
03-28-2016, 11:16 PM - 4 Likes   #20577
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shot this owlet at Sepulveda Basin and there is the possibility of a music festival disturbing all of the wildlife there.
If you have time can you help sign a petition to prevent the music festival from taking place? Thanks!

https://works.audubon.org/petition/stop-giant-music-festival-harming-sepulveda-wildlife-reserve

Last edited by crewl1; 03-28-2016 at 11:42 PM.
03-28-2016, 11:26 PM   #20578
Pentaxian

I use AF.C with 9 focus point in the center. Yes, all AF, no real manual prefocus... well not really... I often pre-AF-focus (when I think about it before) in a area about the same distance to where I expect the birds to come... to prevent the lens to hunt all the range (I should use the focus limiter, but I do not reallyexperimented it on that lens) so When I focus in advance, i.e. farther than the final shots, when they approach in angle from me, then i press the shutter half-way to set the focus on the subject. When they get close enough, I pulll the trigger in hi-speed burst mode and follow the birds passing in front of me (not sure if I explain correctly, if my explanation makes sense?) sometimes, when the background is busy like on these ones, it can happen that AF.C lose the bird, so I press the sutter release half-way again, until it has the bird in focus and I burst again while following the birds that's about it...
Thanks for the clarification. I'd astonished that AF still works @f8.
03-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #20579
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I shot this owlet at Sepulveda Basin and there is the possibility of a music festival disturbing all of the wildlife there.
If you have time can you help sign a petition to prevent the music festival from taking place? Thanks!

https://works.audubon.org/petition/stop-giant-music-festival-harming-sepulveda-wildlife-reserve

There is a general problem with music festivals being held in areas with lots of wildlife:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/20/noise-from-byron-bay-bluesfe...says-ecologist

Here in Victoria, we have most music festivals on farmland. It should be standard practice for minimal ecological impact.
03-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #20580
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Thanks for the clarification. I'd astonished that AF still works @f8.
Yes... AF still work great a F8
« DA* Club | - »