Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91791 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #2176
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There I go again, John! Thanks for the correction - I never knew they were two completely different species!

I just found this page for others similarly confused:

Indentifying Mynas

As for the pics, they are just test pics, nothing special, but the quality of the lens is promising, I must say! Just hope the photographer is going to keep up with it

08-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #2177
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Daniel, nice shot's with the sigma. Would like to see your shots with a tc...
09-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #2178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From my Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG - @f/4 ISO200 1/180th - Wireless AF-540 used, I took this with my K10 because my K7 is in the shop for repairs, I have been having problems with the e-dials...again.

I have a whole album dedicated to the Sigma 100-300mm APO EX DG on here.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-01-2011 at 05:48 PM.
09-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #2179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Congratulations! I think you'll find the lens amazing.

My only complaint about the lens is that it can purple fringe in high contrast situations. I have used it with the 1.4x and 2.0x and been fairly amazed with the results. The only downside is that a tripod is necessary.

Welcome to the club
Well, KEH delivered today---the 400mm f/2.8.

<click photo to enlarge>

I took a photo of it along side my A*300/f2.8 just for perspective. It came in a dedicated trunk, with a leather drawstring lenscap.
It appears to be an optical relataive of the 300 f2.8. Has the name optical count at least.---just a 300 f2.8 on steroids.

FED Ex onlyl dropped it off this morning and I worked all day so haven't gotten any photos of significance taken with it,
but despite the enormous weight (13.25 lbs) it's balanced well enough that it seems usable on a monopod. I just took an indoor
photo with it at minimum focus distance wtih a monopod at 1/15th of a second---and got a photo that that did not have
obvious or shake ..... NOt that there wasn't some but the shake reduction was able to handle it.

The lens seems to be in very good optical and mechanical condition. KEH rated it 'bargain' based on cosmetics and itis missing a fair amount of paint. For example you can see most of the paint missing on the back edge of the lens hood. Looks like iet has been rolled around on a table

09-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #2180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That lens was such a freaking steal. I was tempted to buy it just in case I ever drop mine.
09-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #2181
Veteran Member

Drool..that is one lens I'd love to own!
09-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #2182
Veteran Member

That lens was such a freaking steal. I was tempted to buy it just in case I ever drop mine.
Steal, eh? <Contemplating a life of crime.>

09-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #2183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That lens was such a freaking steal.
If the only issue is cosmetic, I'd absolutely agree.

One thing to check on is the drop-in filter: in some cases, it seems to make a big difference in terms of IQ. There's an extended discussion of this buried somewhere in this thread (hint: imtheguy and I were participants in that discussion.)
09-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #2184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
If the only issue is cosmetic, I'd absolutely agree.

One thing to check on is the drop-in filter: in some cases, it seems to make a big difference in terms of IQ. There's an extended discussion of this buried somewhere in this thread (hint: imtheguy and I were participants in that discussion.)
thanks for the pointer. I've never considered the possiblity that a drop in might make a difference (other than a negative one) so I have never used one, though I own 3 lenses now that take 'rear filters' and one of them came with a set of filters.

I was nervous about the lens until I got my hands on it, but I have dealt with KEH before with favorable results. KEH says that their
'bargain' rating is a down grade limited strictly to cosmetics, and I believe that is true---but they included a 6 month warranty......

The case has a few dings in it, but that is what it's for. The focus is so smooth and nice, I wouldn't be surprised if in fact the lens has been recently serviced. As old as this lens is the grease tends to dry out and this shows no signs of that.
09-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #2185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I'm still waiting for the quote on repairing my M 400/5.6, and get severe LBA every time one of my fellow owners posts these gorgeous photos! Stop, please stop, my envy is getting ridiculous. Just to add to the pain, we had a pair of Western Tanager males at the feeder yesterday. Sigh.
I got the quote and authorized a repair to the tune of C$294. That's almost as much as I paid for the lens twenty odd years ago, but no way can I get a refurbished-by-Pentax 400mm anything for that kind of money. Now the waiting - my patience is wearing thin.
09-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #2186
Veteran Member

I got the quote and authorized a repair to the tune of C$294. That's almost as much as I paid for the lens twenty odd years ago, but no way can I get a refurbished-by-Pentax 400mm anything for that kind of money. Now the waiting - my patience is wearing thin.
At least it is repairable, and the cost of the repair is quite a bit less than one could buy that lens for today.

Glad to hear it is on it's way back to life.
09-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #2187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
At least it is repairable, and the cost of the repair is quite a bit less than one could buy that lens for today.

Glad to hear it is on it's way back to life.
let us know now it comes out. not everyone I would trust with some high priced glass in a tin can. I"ve been waiting 3 weeks on my 600
and it seems like an eternity.
09-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #2188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
let us know now it comes out. not everyone I would trust with some high priced glass in a tin can. I"ve been waiting 3 weeks on my 600
and it seems like an eternity.
Looking back at my most recent note, I did not mention that it is Pentax Canada that is repairing the lens. It also seems to me that I have been without it forever.
09-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #2189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking back at my most recent note, I did not mention that it is Pentax Canada that is repairing the lens. It also seems to me that I have been without it forever.
I'll bet it comes back cleaner than new

When they did my K10D shutter I had to check the serial number because I couldn't believe it was the same camera
09-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #2190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I'll bet it comes back cleaner than new

When they did my K10D shutter I had to check the serial number because I couldn't believe it was the same camera
I'm sure it will. I broke the top plate on my K10D and it came back like new. The problems had gone away as well. Now if I can just revert the firmware to 1.20 to get rid of SDM, I will be a reasonable happy camper. I'm not sending my 50-135 off again to have the SDM worked on. I've tried the "put it on your SF-1 and focus it a bunch of times" fix, but even though it sped up a bit after a large number of runs while still on the SF-1, on the K10D I have no autofocus. It's optically superb, so don't even suggest I swap it out for something else. I'll manually focus it, or use the AFA 1.7x and have a semi-autofocus 85 - 230/6.3 or whatever it works out to.