Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #2191

Photos: Albums
Hey folks. Piping up for the first time with a question. I've been looking at pics from all over the Pentax Forum trying to decide. I have the option of picking up a 300mm. Two options are open: a FA* 300mm f/4.5 and a Adaptall 60B 300mm. The FA comes with hood and case, the Adaptall with both filters, a 1.4x and 2x converter, a hood and a large case.

Opinions??

Thanks in advance.

09-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #2192
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thorswolf Quote
Hey folks. Piping up for the first time with a question. I've been looking at pics from all over the Pentax Forum trying to decide. I have the option of picking up a 300mm. Two options are open: a FA* 300mm f/4.5 and a Adaptall 60B 300mm. The FA comes with hood and case, the Adaptall with both filters, a 1.4x and 2x converter, a hood and a large case.

Opinions??

Thanks in advance.
Do you enjoy lifting weights? . One is ...well shall we say... slightly heavier than the other.
09-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #2193
Inactive Account

Well, shit! Ever since I got my k-5 I only manage to take crappy pictures.

09-03-2011, 03:36 AM   #2194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
Ever since I got my k-5 I only manage to take crappy pictures
It would be most unfortunate if someone was standing underneath that...

09-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #2195
Veteran Member

Well, shit! Ever since I got my k-5 I only manage to take crappy pictures.
Remarkalbe composition (of the shot that is).
You've managed to time the shot perfectly to get the entire "poop stream" just as it was snapped off and the diagonal leads from the corner of the frame up to the subject of the bird..(..'s ass).

Not quite sharp enough to tell species of fish the bird has eaten but pretty good nonetheless.

Initially I thought it was a Pelican but, appears not . What type of bird is it? I will make note to stay away from its flightpath.

Last edited by steve1307; 09-03-2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: no idea of bird species
09-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #2196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 60B is heavier because it's f2.8 and that makes it way more useful than a f4.5 imo. I've got one on it's way to me as a matter of fact.

And, yes, weight-bearing exercise is a normal part of my fitness routine.
09-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #2197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Remarkalbe composition (of the shot that is).
You've managed to time the shot perfectly to get the entire "poop stream" just as it was snapped off and the diagonal leads from the corner of the frame up to the subject of the bird..(..'s ass).

Not quite sharp enough to tell species of fish the bird has eaten but pretty good nonetheless.

Initially I thought it was a Pelican but, appears not . What type of bird is it? I will make note to stay away from its flightpath.
Great blue heron

09-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #2198

QuoteQuote:
Do you enjoy lifting weights? . One is ...well shall we say... slightly heavier than the other.
QuoteQuote:
The 60B is heavier because it's f2.8 and that makes it way more useful than a f4.5 imo. I've got one on it's way to me as a matter of fact.

And, yes, weight-bearing exercise is a normal part of my fitness routine.
Thanks both for the replies.

Yeah I figured when I saw that the 60B looked like that hand shooting would be an iffy porposition at best. Thank God for regular weight training.

Let me put it another way, if you had enough funds to buy a ANY reasonably priced 300mm for a Pentax (and did not want to scour the world for the FA* f2.8), what would you choose?
09-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #2199
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
He he, I must try to scare a bird with slower digestion next time And the picture is a crop. I had no intention of capturing poop! Made me laugh when I unloaded my memorycard on the copmuter though. I was in my kayak when I scared it and luckily it flew it's bombing mission in the opposite direction.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Great blue heron
It's a Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea). But yeah, they are pretty indistinguishable (but live on different continents).
09-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #2200
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Either of the newer Tamron SP Adaptall 300/2.8 lenses -- 60B or 360B.

Don't overlook the close-up opportunities with these lenses. About 25mm of extension tube helps the MFD too.

The PK/A adapter is convenient but certainly not critical for this lens for most purposes in the field but steady rest and lens hood is.

This sort of DIY accessory helps a lot with hand holding any of the heavier lenses.

H2

09-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #2201
Veteran Member

He he, I must try to scare a bird with slower digestion next time And the picture is a crop. I had no intention of capturing poop! Made me laugh when I unloaded my memorycard on the copmuter though. I was in my kayak when I scared it and luckily it flew it's bombing mission in the opposite direction.

It's a Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea). But yeah, they are pretty indistinguishable (but live on different continents).

File:Ardea cinerea map.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phew, looks looks like I'm safe from it down here
09-03-2011, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #2202
Veteran Member

Thanks both for the replies.

Yeah I figured when I saw that the 60B looked like that hand shooting would be an iffy porposition at best. Thank God for regular weight training.

Let me put it another way, if you had enough funds to buy a ANY reasonably priced 300mm for a Pentax (and did not want to scour the world for the FA* f2.8), what would you choose?

first a Disclaimer : I dont have any of these lenses yet, however I did order one 300mm prime lens yesterday. I will just relay my thought process to make the decison, and some of the prices seen last month or so.

During this exercise I considered Tamron SP 300 2.8, Tokina AT-X 300 2.8 (MF version), F*300 4.5, FA*300 4.5 and DA*300 f4. Also thrown into the mix was a Sigma 150-500 and 50-500.

I have been very impressed with some of the shots taken with the Sigma 300 f2.8 but that is out of the question budget wise. Ditto for the F* and FA*
Assume you know there is an A*300 f2.8 in the marketplace for about 1150euro if you dont mind MF which the Tamron would also be. The A*300 is also 1kg heavier than the Tamron. 2kg heavier than an FA*300 f4.5.

I think that if you intention is to use the lens primarily with TC then the f2.8 is the best option because you would always be using a tripod/monopod anyway with that 420-600mm range anyway. Then it just comes down to whether you are OK with hiking to wherever you shoot with the weight of the 300 f2.8 AND a sturdy tripod.

With the Tamron it often comes with a 1.4x (140F) and sometimes the 2x (200F - the good one). This gives you 420mm f4 or 600mm f5.6. With a Pentax 1.7x AFA you get a 510mm f5 with Autofocus (limited range).

An FA*300 f4.5 with a Kenko1.5 or the DA*300 f4 with the 1.7x AFA you only get f6.7 max. Is that good enough?

If you are going to be doing a lot of hiking as opposed to crouching in a blind for hours than less kg would be more important than the extra f-stop.

Prices?

The Tokina AT-X 300 2.8 MF is pretty rare in Kmount and I only thought of it because there was 1 on ebay (it sold for $715 last week). From what i've read the Tamron is the better performer.

The Tamron 60B is easier to find "well used" examples (ie scratched paint) popping up occasionally.
$500 - $900 depending on if the 112mm filter is still there and the matching TC's.
A half decent looking one with filter and both TC went for 915 CAD a couple of weeks ago.
A 360B in Indonesia went for 750US (missing the TC's and the filter) - filter is $159 at B&H.
There is one in 60B Australia - never used with a 1.4TC for $1500 ("buy it now") but it didnt sell.

There are a few FA*300 f4.5's around and they still go for about $850- $1000 (I missed 2 on ebay for about that recently). . I've also missed the DA*300 also around the same money in the last 2 weeks. An F*300 also went in the same range.
Living in Australia that would cost me additional duty & GST(tax) if valued over 1000AUD + more freight, so this brings it very close to the cost of a new DA*300.

A new DA*300 is $1150 US +tax. Here it is about the same A$1320-A$1399

Is the Tamron as good or better at f4 than the DA*300, I couldn't tell you. I've never tried any of them.

The clincher for me was when I hand held a friend's Sigma 50-500. 2kg+ is just too heavy and I do prefer AF for most of my shooting at present. I plan to take the lens hiking with me rather than the lens have me sit with it.

In the end I ordered a DA*300 brand new (full warranty with the SDM of course preferred). The FA*300 is just as good and I would have been happy to go with it if it were 25% cheaper by the time it got to my hands. (used & no warranty)

I also have a Pentax 1.7x AFA which works well with the DA*. The Kenko 1.5x PZ-AF SHQ works with SDM but doesnt do so well with it speed and accuracy wise apparently, but is fine with the FA* and others.

So, really what is more important is how you want to use it to decide which one, rather than the $$ for these options.
If you buy a Tamron and don't bother to use it as its too heavy then that a waste. If an f4 or f4.5 will be too dark to use with a TC and you miss shots then that would be a waste too.

In the end for me it was going to be a similar price anyway with all options
new DA*300 = used imported FA*300 +freight+duty+GSTtax = Tamron + frt + upgrade to Gimbal head = about $1300
09-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #2203

Steve... dude... awesome info and lots for my brain to digest. You've done your research and I'm glad I can benefit from it.

I am in the lucky (or unlucky) position of having access to the DA*, the FA* and the 60B (with all filters hood and monter case) all within a 2-hour driving radius. The FA and the 60B have both been available for a while and the price has come down to the point that they are both at decent prices.

I'm seeing the FA tonight and the 60B tomorrow. Bringing a camera (of course) so I can do a good evaluation.
09-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #2204

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Either of the newer Tamron SP Adaptall 300/2.8 lenses -- 60B or 360B.

Don't overlook the close-up opportunities with these lenses. About 25mm of extension tube helps the MFD too.

The PK/A adapter is convenient but certainly not critical for this lens for most purposes in the field but steady rest and lens hood is.

This sort of DIY accessory helps a lot with hand holding any of the heavier lenses.

H2
Thanks for the info and the sample shots. Truth be told I am leaning toward the 60B. I already own some Adaptall lenses and they are wonderful. The weight is the only real issue here...

I'll wait till I see both the FA* and the 60B... Maybe I'll get both (as long as my wife doesn't find out)
09-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #2205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe I'll get both (as long as my wife doesn't find out)
That's the spirit!