Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #22306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Mmm . . . 'cause some of us just might have been tempted to use it on FF 35mm film bodies? Not until the eighth day did dog invent digital.
I guess you have a point there. I was a bit of a curmugeon about digital myself, and didn't buy the first couple of generations of digital. the unfortunate truth was how I was an early adopter
of a website --- it's now been about 20 years that I have had one------- and I found myself making lots of terrible scans of chemical photos, but I do have a nice Besler enlarger in my darkroom
along with a nice waterbox and temp control kit so I can process 11x14 color prints in trays floating in hot water. Somehow it saves a lot of time to directly create the JPG, as compared to stirring
chemistry just to print a photo so you can scan it into a jpg.

06-28-2016, 05:31 AM - 10 Likes   #22307
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Assawoman Bay in a kayak K3 DA300 Pentax 1.4 TC. I was lucky here, I had already focused on this Egret. Otherwise the DA300 could not have caught these shots. So pre-focusing and waiting can make up for a slow lens and less than optimal autofocus.
Attached Images

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 06-28-2016 at 05:49 AM.
06-28-2016, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #22308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zoea Land Crab: Francis Bay, St. John, U.S.V.I.

More fun with the K-3ii + DA*300 in the Virgin Islands.
There are literally millions of these land crabs on the island. The Zoea must have just hatched a few days before our arrival.
This picture is hard to put into scale; this guy was about as big as the diameter of a AAA battery...

06-28-2016, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #22309
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
More fun with the K-3ii + DA*300 in the Virgin Islands.
There are literally millions of these land crabs on the island. The Zoea must have just hatched a few days before our arrival.
This picture is hard to put into scale; this guy was about as big as the diameter of a AAA battery...
The sand looks like gravel at that magnification. Shows a bit dark on my screen, but sharp. Nice shot.

06-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #22310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Assawoman Bay in a kayak K3 DA300 Pentax 1.4 TC. I was lucky here, I had already focused on this Egret. Otherwise the DA300 could not have caught these shots. So pre-focusing and waiting can make up for a slow lens and less than optimal autofocus.
Nice shooting ! I zone focus a lot actually and it does help. I just wish Ricoh would get us up to speed on AF..............and on our K3 cameras !

Last edited by marquis1955; 06-28-2016 at 03:27 PM.
06-28-2016, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #22311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
Nice shooting ! I zone focus a lot actually and it does help. I just wish Ricoh would get us up to speed on AF..............
I am waiting for the K3 replacement. If AF is still decades behind Canon and Nikon I will probably change to a different brand. The majority of my current photography is wildlife, a change from when I bought the K5, and I need a camera with solid AF. The replacement for the K3 is an opportunity for Pentax to catch up and there has been ample time to do this. I don't feel it is rocket science, my guess is a college engineering intern could get AF up to speed. Add more focus points, say 50 to 60, and run the Pentax autofocus software on software on a much faster processor.

I know there are also shooters who want better noise characteristics, flippy screens, dials, more fps, etc.

I would buy the K3 follow on if it was the same as the K3 with AF at about the same level as Canon and Nikon.
06-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #22312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
this guy was about as big as the diameter of a AAA battery...
Very nice close up work on this.
06-28-2016, 09:31 AM - 6 Likes   #22313
Pentaxian

Mom guarding the nest. A case of being too close with he K3 DA300 and Pentax 1.4TC. I couldn't get a picture with mom and her chicks as she guarder them from intruders. Here she is keeping guard at the entrance to the nest off to the side in the bushes. In the center of the bushes towards the top are three chicks. Handheld sitting in a kayak.

Attached Images

06-28-2016, 09:54 AM - 5 Likes   #22314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Made full use of all 300mm on the DA 55-300mm for this Massasauga rattlesnake.

Same lens, Chalk-fronted Corporal

Slaty Skimmer

06-28-2016, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #22315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am waiting for the K3 replacement. If AF is still decades behind Canon and Nikon I will probably change to a different brand. The majority of my current photography is wildlife, a change from when I bought the K5, and I need a camera with solid AF. The replacement for the K3 is an opportunity for Pentax to catch up and there has been ample time to do this. I don't feel it is rocket science, my guess is a college engineering intern could get AF up to speed. Add more focus points, say 50 to 60, and run the Pentax autofocus software on software on a much faster processor.

I know there are also shooters who want better noise characteristics, flippy screens, dials, more fps, etc.

I would buy the K3 follow on if it was the same as the K3 with AF at about the same level as Canon and Nikon.
Totally agree.
I could care less about the "glitter" features I call them... touchscreen, flip screen, more dials, more filters/modes, etc.

I shoot manual and RAW. I only need one mode with possibly a Bulb mode option in menu for long exposures.

Give me better AF!

I've invested in a K-3ii and DA*300, but I'm not so deep in the brand that I'm afraid to jump ship.
Honestly, one of the only reasons I'm staying with Pentax is because of this forum. And WR of course...

---------- Post added 06-28-16 at 01:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Very nice close up work on this.
thanks!
06-28-2016, 11:29 AM - 10 Likes   #22316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was parked up a ridgeway track in my car with not much happening when this male Redstart landed on a gate luckily I was able to swing the K-5/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF] onto it without scaring it off.
06-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #22317
Pentaxian

I hate to disillusion you. I saw many college level students of relevant fields in my previous job AND they would not solve your problem. They were full of excuses at their project inspections like "it worked yesterday when no-one was here but today ..."
06-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #22318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
I was parked up a ridgeway track in my car with not much happening when this male Redstart landed on a gate luckily I was able to swing the K-5/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF] onto it without scaring it off.
Very very nice.
06-28-2016, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #22319
Pentaxian

Another case of being too close and having the camera in the wrong orientation of the shot. Pentax K3 DA300 Pentax 1.4 TC handheld in a kayak on Assawoman Bay. The first shot the camera was in landscape orientation when the Egret came in to "Dance" I just couldn't get the birds feet in the image holding the camera in landscape. The first image has no cropping vertically in the image posted. When the dance was over I change to portrait and was able to get the whole bird. I did "photoshop" the upper branch that shot off to the right
Attached Images

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 06-29-2016 at 12:23 PM.
06-28-2016, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #22320
Veteran Member

I agree with you on all points especially there is no reason for the poor AF at this point & time.I have been a Pentax user for a long time But; I feel they could even do a firmware improvement on the current AF ??? I too will think about the possibility of changing if they can't get something done I love to shoot wildlife and moving subjects the AF just falls short. I love the IQ etc.,etc., and I don't care about movies, yada,yada,yada I just would like a solid AF system up to speed with the times