Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 06:34 PM - 9 Likes   #22336

I shot these last week with the DA* 300 and 1.4 TC. After visiting this nest the previous week, during afternoon light and without the 1.4 TC. I went back, and with some great early morning light, and the 1.4 TC, and a new gimbal attachment for the ball-head, the results were night and day. I've read in so many places that the DA* 300 with TC suffers no image quality, and I've certainly seen lots of examples to prove this, but in my limited experiences, I have seen a drop. Certainly, I'm to blame for some of this, but the image quality I always get with the 300 on its own, has never been equaled when I've added the TC. I have the ability to purchase the 150-450 in a few months, and I just don't know if I'll see a drastic (enough) increase in performance over the 300 with 1.4 to warrant it. I've also started to rationalize buying the 560... the little voice in my head says "... why get 450mm @ 5.6, when you can have 560mm @ 5.6"

Am I the only one that spends hours talking to himself about this stuff??

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-29-2016, 07:52 PM - 2 Likes   #22337
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcerrati Quote
I've also started to rationalize buying the 560... the little voice in my head says "... why get 450mm @ 5.6, when you can have 560mm @ 5.6"

No you are not. We all practice the excuses we use to She Who Must Be Obeyed so that we sound almost credible when the package arrives...
06-29-2016, 08:37 PM - 5 Likes   #22338
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
The last couple of shots from my kayak outing. Handheld K3 DA300 Pentax 1.4 TC - one of my favorite birds to photograph and also very common - Egret Sitting on the Top of the Bay
Nice pics of a Great egret. The Great egret is considerably larger but if you don't have them side by side for comparison, the Great egret has a yellow bill and black feet. The Snowy egret has yellow feet and a black bill. The Snowy shakes its feet while hunting to frighten prey out from under the rocks.

Last edited by gifthorse; 06-29-2016 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typo
06-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #22339
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Nice pics of a Great egret. The Great egret is considerably larger but if you don't have them side by side for comparison, the Great egret has a yellow bill and black feet. The Snowy egret has yellow feet and a black bill. The Snowy shakes its feet while hunting to frighten prey out from under the rocks.
Thanks - now I will know the difference. Moved here a year and a half ago - great spot for photographing birds. I am just getting to know the names for the birds I enjoy shooting. Posted a Snowy egret guarding her nest with three chicks onthe previous page. I lucked out and found a rookery for a variety of birds.

06-30-2016, 05:13 AM - 4 Likes   #22340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has to be one of the best threads for wildlife images shot by some talented folks ! Thanks to all for sharing these amazing works. Here are a couple from the front deck I really need to get out to a different area to mix it up a little more. I aspire to get better so I can someday post images even nearly as nice as I see here throughout the PF threads Are most of you using a tripod for the lions share of your shots or hand holding. Also looking for the best software for noise/sharpness ?

---------- Post added 06-30-16 at 07:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcerrati Quote
I shot these last week with the DA* 300 and 1.4 TC. After visiting this nest the previous week, during afternoon light and without the 1.4 TC. I went back, and with some great early morning light, and the 1.4 TC, and a new gimbal attachment for the ball-head, the results were night and day. I've read in so many places that the DA* 300 with TC suffers no image quality, and I've certainly seen lots of examples to prove this, but in my limited experiences, I have seen a drop. Certainly, I'm to blame for some of this, but the image quality I always get with the 300 on its own, has never been equaled when I've added the TC. I have the ability to purchase the 150-450 in a few months, and I just don't know if I'll see a drastic (enough) increase in performance over the 300 with 1.4 to warrant it. I've also started to rationalize buying the 560... the little voice in my head says "... why get 450mm @ 5.6, when you can have 560mm @ 5.6"

Gorgeous work, and I am constantly in thought of the next lens/gear purchase and I have seen some amazing IQ from the DA 560. Also very high praise for the DA 150-450 which I wonder how much IQ difference it would give me over my Sigma 150-500 or would it be worth a change (Big yes for the WR) both are light hogs and I get some sharp images with the Sigma ??? Yada, yada,yada......
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-30-2016, 06:24 AM   #22341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
"Hello anyone there?"
Shot with K3 + DA*300

Ken, If you give photo tours, I am in. Either you are very lucky with your captures (very doubtful) or you have an incredible technique and shoot A LOT (most likely). Exceptional image!
06-30-2016, 09:22 AM - 9 Likes   #22342
Veteran Member

Instead of a kayak and handheld today I went out on Little Assawoman Bay with a 10 foot folding Porte-Bote and a trolling motor. Instead of the Handheld DA300 and Pentax 1.4TC on the K3 today I used the Sigma 150-500 on a monopod inserted into a PVC pipe fastened to a seat. Here are four shots from today's outing. If someone could let me know what the first bird is I would appreciate the insight. Obviously not a birder. However this small island is the bay is a great spot. The Oyster Catchers were out, the three Amigos just sit waiting to be fed (typical teenagers) and the Osprey is getting her nest ready for a new addition. A zoom is the way to go in this situation even when you give up some IQ to the DA300 1.4TC combo.

Attached Images

06-30-2016, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #22343
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If someone could let me know what the first bird is I would appreciate the insight.
Nice shots Bob - the first bird is a young Green Heron - the adult doesn't have the creamy streaks down the front.
06-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #22344
Veteran Member

Thanks for the help jacamar. Living near all these birds I may be a birder yet. Most of the people I shoot with know them all. I now spend the majority of my photography time doing wildlife whereas before moving here it was just a couple of outings a year.
06-30-2016, 11:06 PM - 2 Likes   #22345
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I now spend the majority of my photography time doing wildlife whereas before moving
I have found that when you are spending more time out there looking for wildlife you end up seeing some pretty neat stuff that's happening with different creatures. I have been going out to a hummingbirds nest every other day to photograph the young chicks as they grow. If it weren't for the photography I'm quite certain I wouldn't make the effort. I really enjoy seeing all the different posts on this thread and there is always stuff to learn from others regarding equipment and technique. Nice set RockvilleBob
07-01-2016, 05:40 AM - 4 Likes   #22346
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Tokina 400mm AF, when the light is right this old lens can do quite well. F11, 1/1000s, ISO 800 on the K3 handheld.

F11, 1/500s, ISO400

I see no real advantage to the lower ISO. To me it seems the higher shutter speed trumps any advantages gained from the lower ISO setting.
07-01-2016, 06:17 AM - 4 Likes   #22347

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I see no real advantage to the lower ISO. To me it seems the higher shutter speed trumps any advantages gained from the lower ISO setting.
I've sort of experienced the opposite. If I raise my ISO too high, to gain a faster shutter speed, there seems to be a harsh sweet spot. For me, with the K3, DA* 300, and the 1.4 TC, above ISO 800 is noticeably, not incrementally, less sharp. and ISO 400 seems noticeably, not incrementally, sharper than 800. I know earlier I moaned that I've been seeing a more drastic fall off in IQ with the 300&1.4 than others seem to be able to achieve. However I did shoot this sparrow image, with that combo, and it is remarkably clear IMO. However, this sparrow was really close to me - approximately 20ft. My complaint is I want a 400+mm set up to produce images that are clear with subjects that are usually much further away than 20ft, which is why I'm so close to purchasing the 150-450 thinking/hoping/expecting it will have a vast increase in IQ over the 300+1.4. Again, I'm willing to bet a large piece of my problem is me, and my technique. I'm sure I have room to improve. Having said that, I don't think my technique or support equipment is terrible either. At least testing and trying to get better means taking more and more pictures! And that's a good thing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #22348
Veteran Member

Instead of a kayak and handheld today I went out on Little Assawoman Bay with a 10 foot folding Porte-Bote and a trolling motor. Instead of the Handheld DA300 and Pentax 1.4TC on the K3 today I used the Sigma 150-500 on a monopod inserted into a PVC pipe fastened to a seat. Here are four shots from today's outing. If someone could let me know what the first bird is I would appreciate the insight. Obviously not a birder. However this small island is the bay is a great spot. The Oyster Catchers were out, the three Amigos just sit waiting to be fed (typical teenagers) and the Osprey is getting her nest ready for a new addition. A zoom is the way to go in this situation even when you give up some IQ to the DA300 1.4TC combo.
Great series!

We live in a pretty remarkable area, I have to say!

You're fortunate to have the means of traveling the waters of our bay. And to get to 500mm!
I have a paddle board, but don't think I'll ever take the DA*300 out on it.

I want to get a fishing kayak to get to some remote spots for birds, but that's a few years away I believe haha.

Keep up the great shooting!

If you haven't been yet, should make a drive out to Blackwater refuge in Cambridge, MD. Last time I as there I saw about 50-60 bald eagles and countless osprey/herons/turtles. Even a Delmarva Fox Squirrel!
07-01-2016, 04:06 PM - 8 Likes   #22349
Pentaxian

Here are a few pics from my local.
This is the first time that the UK has seen Lockheed Martin F35B's . K-5/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF]

K-5/Sigma 300mm F2.8 EX DG

07-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #22350

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Here are a few pics from my local. This is the first time that the UK has seen Lockheed Martin F35B's . K-5/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF]
SUPERB IQ!!!!!!! Simple awesome images!