Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hanging around the garden, with the K-3 and DA* 60-250 plus F 1.7 @425mm
Tess has the DA*200 packed for a trip.

ISO 400, ƒ8, AV mode (1/60s to 1/400s.)

My garden and feeder compatriots.
Lovely flower.

A little over contrasted and heavily saturated for my taste, almost artificial - But I love the subject. Looks like a healthy garden!

07-05-2016, 09:21 AM - 5 Likes   #22382
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On page 1492 Norm and Ken posted some birdies blue.

First Yellowstone outing with the A* 600mm f/5.6 on a K-3. It's pretty easy to manually focus and very sharp. Lots of CA though.

Go get me something to eat will ya?

Okay, okay!
07-05-2016, 10:31 AM - 4 Likes   #22383
Veteran Member

This entire day of shooting (March 29th, 2016) went missing on my hard drive. I just "found" it yesterday...

I love finding new ways to use the DA*300.
By far my favorite lens!

Sunset at Assateague Island National Seashore.

07-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #22384
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
This entire day of shooting (March 29th, 2016) went missing on my hard drive. I just "found" it yesterday...

By far my favorite lens!

nice shooting Logan

07-05-2016, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #22385

Maybe its wishful thinking or maybe its time to have Cataract Surgery on my other eye but I disabled the shutter button focus feature and I am just using the back AF button and it seems to have resulted in a little sharper photos on BIF?
I was using the back AF button previously but the shutter AF was still enabled, maybe I am still hungover from yesterday? Still have a bunch of work / practice that needs to be done, but hey, you gotta start somewhere....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #22386
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Maybe its wishful thinking or maybe its time to have Cataract Surgery on my other eye but I disabled the shutter button focus feature and I am just using the back AF button and it seems to have resulted in a little sharper photos on BIF?
I was using the back AF button previously but the shutter AF was still enabled, maybe I am still hungover from yesterday? Still have a bunch of work / practice that needs to be done, but hey, you gotta start somewhere....
I use the back button for AF. The advantage is that you select the focus point to use; the camera cannot change its mind as it can with the shutter button half press. You may think you have locked focus with the shutter button, but the camera still has the ability to "improve" the focus in accordance with its programming. With back button, only you decide on exactly when and where the focus is locked.
07-05-2016, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #22387
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JML69 Quote
Back button AF for the win!
In all seriousness, once I discovered this there was no going back... I had no idea there was such a thing until I bought my K-30 over a year ago. I never liked the shutter focus, even on point and shoot cameras and using friends DSLRs years ago. It always turned me off from photography.
If only I knew there was such a thing as back button AF, maybe I would have pursued my photography interests earlier...

Last edited by UserAccessDenied; 07-05-2016 at 02:56 PM.
07-05-2016, 03:09 PM - 5 Likes   #22388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice Swallow-tailed Kites JML69 - I'm never in Florida at the right time to see them.

Finally picked up my DA* 300mm after repair, used here with the 1.4x teleconverter. These grebes only started nesting here a few years ago and it looks like they've been pretty successful this year. Not as close as I would like so a fair amount of cropping.

Caspian Tern - BIF seems to be working OK

Last edited by jacamar; 07-05-2016 at 03:18 PM.
07-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #22389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By far my favorite lens!

nice work !
07-05-2016, 04:04 PM - 7 Likes   #22390
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
nice work !
Thanks!

---------- Post added 07-05-16 at 07:57 PM ----------

Absolutely love this combo...
DA*300 + K3ii

---------- Post added 07-05-16 at 07:59 PM ----------

Another pair with the DA*300 + K3ii

07-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #22391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunset at Assateague Island National Seashore
Very nice location and probably the best time of year. In the summer you can be sucked dry by the mosquitoes!
07-05-2016, 08:30 PM - 12 Likes   #22392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It was a dull day with little success capturing any bird shots. This one saved the day just when I was ready to pack it in.

07-05-2016, 08:36 PM - 8 Likes   #22393
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although I find the brood parasitism of brown headed cowbirds interesting, it's kind of frustrating to witness. They apparently lay eggs in over 220 species of birds.
Victims I've spotted this year include a White-crowned sparrow, Nashville warbler and this Western tanager. At least with the tanager the cowbird picked on someone its own size.

K1 and DA 560 (first time out with this combo, shot full frame, cropped but no noise reduction and only a few Lightroom tweaks. I'm liking the higher shutter speeds I can obtain given the higher ISO performance)

07-05-2016, 08:55 PM - 5 Likes   #22394
Pentaxian

Stellar Jay playing games

you might have thought this stellar jay had a problem, but not really, just game time

Ah ha! sunny afternoon

17 seconds later: "I think I've been found out"

07-06-2016, 02:49 AM   #22395
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Very nice location and probably the best time of year. In the summer you can be sucked dry by the mosquitoes!
It is the biting green flies that keep me away from many locations. At times at Bombay Hoop or Prime Hook I feel I need a beekeeper outfit. When I drive into the sites my windshield and car windows get covered with them. As a result I get out less when they are out.

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 05:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
Although I find the brood parasitism of brown headed cowbirds interesting, it's kind of frustrating to witness. They apparently lay eggs in over 220 species of birds.
Victims I've spotted this year include a White-crowned sparrow, Nashville warbler and this Western tanager. At least with the tanager the cowbird picked on someone its own size.

K1 and DA 560 (first time out with this combo, shot full frame, cropped but no noise reduction and only a few Lightroom tweaks. I'm liking the higher shutter speeds I can obtain given the higher ISO performance)
a super and very interesting photo.