Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91896 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2016, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #22426
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Have a matched pair of titanium hips. Surgical procedures seem to have improved between the first and second. I had home PT advice for about two weeks after the first (about 3~4 days using a walker, a cane for a couple weeks mostly as a hedge against losing my balance, and carried a staff when hiking in the woods for about a year, again primarily to protect against losing my balance). BUT after the second hip replacement, I discarded the walker as soon as I got home, used a cane for a bit. and a hiking staff for a few months. AND, no pain, ever.
I've talked to a lot of people and they all seem to be saying that.I think I'm going to be like the guy who said "After I got my new hip I realized I hadn't been in a good mood for about 2 years." Constant pain has that effect on you.

It can't come soon enough.

07-06-2016, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #22427
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've talked to a lot of people and they all seem to be saying that.I think I'm going to be like the guy who said "After I got my new hip I realized I hadn't been in a good mood for about 2 years." Constant pain has that effect on you.

It can't come soon enough.
Yes: life has been better since I've gotten new hips. Walk, hike without pain. There are restrictions and limitations. No bending your hip past a right angle; not getting down where it is hard to get up, for example: no baths, only showers, and no kayaks; also, no high impact activities: no jogging, tennis, basketball, etc. The piece that goes into your femur is wedge-shaped. Impacts are just like driving a wedge into a piece of firewood. It can cause the femoral shaft to split, and then you are in big trouble. But overall, it's like setting back the clock on your legs about two decades.
07-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #22428
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My sister came up to help me pile my wood, so every minute I could work was doubled in effectiveness. SO I was feeding deer flies, not writing about them, not catching them in sticky paper. I'll have to look for some of that in the outfitters, sounds like a good idea.

12 days and counting before I get my new hip. After that, I doubt, I'll be taking many pictures for a bit.
Speedy recovery !
07-06-2016, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #22429
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
We also have a lot of mosquitoes here in Texas this year, basically we always have them in the summer but they do seem more populated this year. We have also had lots of rain & flooding this year...[COLOR="Silver"]

Looks like a youngster aren't the adults pretty much all blue ?
I'm satisfied it a juvenile all right. Have also suspected it was a female which is less blue. It's logical that they feather out with the 'flying machinery' -- wings and tail first. as they seem to have
blue bodies, but a black hood that goes well down as adults to my understanding the females are not as bright. Some you see are almost florescent.

07-06-2016, 05:06 PM - 3 Likes   #22430
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great Blue Heron, K-3, A* 600 f/5.6.
07-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #22431
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Don't let that deter anyone from visiting! Assateague is beautiful this time of year, though my favorite time on the island is end of September...
Some years ago I took the family there for a vacation in July. Chincoteague Island is a nice place to stay and Assateague is easy to get to from there. THe beaches on Asseteague are NICE! I have some nice images from that trip! The causeway between the main land and Chincoteague is a great place to stop in the early AM for birds. More than you know what to do with!
07-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #22432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My sister came up to help me pile my wood, so every minute I could work was doubled in effectiveness. SO I was feeding deer flies, not writing about them, not catching them in sticky paper. I'll have to look for some of that in the outfitters, sounds like a good idea.

12 days and counting before I get my new hip. After that, I doubt, I'll be taking many pictures for a bit.
All the best with the surgery.

07-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #22433
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There must be a few new species this year...
I refuse to use DEET, unless it's the only thing around.
Here's another product that works well and is all natural! For about $10, you can give it a try:
Natural Insect Repellent - Hoe Down Deet Free All Natural Bug Spray For Mosquitoes and Insects

Regards,
07-06-2016, 07:54 PM - 9 Likes   #22434
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dusky Flycatcher with chicks (K1, DA 560)

and entire family

07-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #22435
Pentaxian

Arcadia Marsh Nature Preserve (Michigan), A/400
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-07-2016, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #22436
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
Looks like a youngster aren't the adults pretty much all blue ?
Adult Steller's Jay has a black hood too.

---------- Post added 7th Jul 2016 at 12:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I'm satisfied it a juvenile all right. Have also suspected it was a female which is less blue. It's logical that they feather out with the 'flying machinery' -- wings and tail first. as they seem to have
blue bodies, but a black hood that goes well down as adults to my understanding the females are not as bright. Some you see are almost florescent.
The female may have narrower, fainter barring on the wings and tail.
07-07-2016, 10:40 AM - 9 Likes   #22437
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another outing on the folding boat to a small island on Little Assawoman Bay that is a rookery. The kids are leaving town. Of the Three Amigo GBH only two remained and they were running out of headroom - just too lazy to get food on their own. The Green Herons were relaxing in the morning sun as a younger one sang. The Osprey is the laggard - no sign of young yet. The Oyster Catchers were lounging on the beach. Naturally I had to take a picture of my favorite, the egret. K3 DA300 and Pentax 1.4 TC - I sold my zoom.
Attached Images

07-07-2016, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #22438

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
The Green Herons were relaxing in the morning sun as a younger one sang
Such beautiful lighting on that GH!! I love this shot!
07-07-2016, 11:44 AM - 5 Likes   #22439
Pentaxian

I thought that I would have a go at taking pictures of aircraft in flight using my K-5/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF] on a tripod with a gimbal head. Here are some of the results.

1/160 to get prop blur

K-5/Sigma 300mm F2.8 EX DG

Last edited by Ducatigaz; 07-07-2016 at 11:49 AM.
07-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #22440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Another outing on the folding boat to a small island on Little Assawoman Bay that is a rookery. The kids are leaving town. Of the Three Amigo GBH only two remained and they were running out of headroom - just too lazy to get food on their own. The Green Herons were relaxing in the morning sun as a younger one sang. The Osprey is the laggard - no sign of young yet. The Oyster Catchers were lounging on the beach. Naturally I had to take a picture of my favorite, the egret. K3 DA300 and Pentax 1.4 TC - I sold my zoom.
Nice work !
« The Tammy Club! | - »