Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #22441
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
dcerrati
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
The Green Herons were relaxing in the morning sun as a younger one sang
Such beautiful lighting on that GH!! I love this shot!

marquis1955
Nice work !

Thank you

07-07-2016, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #22442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shooting Gary. I haven't quite gotten up to speed with my Analog Focus A* 600.
07-07-2016, 07:58 PM - 6 Likes   #22443
Pentaxian

This thread always amazes me. Great shots everyone.

Found a Kestrel nest with one chick. It will be flying around in a week or so.

07-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #22444
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Found a Kestrel nest with one chick.
Nice find Derek the shot of the juvenile is great

07-07-2016, 10:16 PM - 2 Likes   #22445
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Adult Steller's Jay has a black hood too.

---------- Post added 7th Jul 2016 at 12:13 ----------

The female may have narrower, fainter barring on the wings and tail.
I've named this Steller's jay "Scruffy", but don't know if this is what you mean by fainter barring.

07-08-2016, 05:19 AM   #22446
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Another outing on the folding boat to a small island on Little Assawoman Bay that is a rookery. The kids are leaving town. Of the Three Amigo GBH only two remained and they were running out of headroom - just too lazy to get food on their own. The Green Herons were relaxing in the morning sun as a younger one sang. The Osprey is the laggard - no sign of young yet. The Oyster Catchers were lounging on the beach. Naturally I had to take a picture of my favorite, the egret. K3 DA300 and Pentax 1.4 TC - I sold my zoom.
Nice!
What kind of folding boat do you use?

I've been looking at fishing kayaks to get out into the bay more, the stand up paddleboard is great, but I feel more secure shooting from a boat or kayak... Plus that lower to the ground perspective is generally better than 6 ft off the water.
07-08-2016, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #22447
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I've named this Steller's jay "Scruffy", but don't know if this is what you mean by fainter barring.
The black stripes on the flight and tail feathers that are perpendicular to the long side of those feathers.

Streaks are aligned with the length of the bird, whereas bars are perpendicular.

07-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #22448
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The black stripes on the flight and tail feathers that are perpendicular to the long side of those feathers.

Streaks are aligned with the length of the bird, whereas bars are perpendicular.
thanks. I'm sort of a camera jockey. I go push the button and try to get my wife to tell me what's in the picture.
07-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #22449
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Nice!
What kind of folding boat do you use?

I've been looking at fishing kayaks to get out into the bay more, the stand up paddleboard is great, but I feel more secure shooting from a boat or kayak... Plus that lower to the ground perspective is generally better than 6 ft off the water.
I use a 10 foot Porte-Bote with a 55 pound thrust Minn-Kota trolling motor. I have a hoist on my garage ceiling where it lives between uses. It does require more initial investment than a kayak: Car roof rack with a roller to avoid lifting 85 pound boat; a hoist to store it on the ceiling; a trolling motor if you plan to use in in bays/tides; a battery. I have a Group 31 Marine Gell battery that weights about 80 pounds. I've run the motor about an hour and the battery meter on the motor still shows full.
Getting the boat off the car, unfolded and into the water takes about 30 minutes at a normal pace. The boat only draws 5 inches so I can beach it after raising the motor and get into shallow water. I have used it with a large tripod - the boat is very stable since it is 5 feet wide. However I now use it with a monopod inserted into a pvc pipe that slips into a slot in a seat that I modified.
I can use it on the bays and at Prime Hook. There is no nearby boat launch for Bombay Hook. I can also use it at Assategue but have not done so. I need to check with Blackwater which allows kayaking so they probably would allow an electric trolling motor.
The entire setup with boat, motor and battery fits in and on my Ford Fiesta.
07-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #22450
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I use a 10 foot Porte-Bote with a 55 pound thrust Minn-Kota trolling motor. I have a hoist on my garage ceiling where it lives between uses. It does require more initial investment than a kayak: Car roof rack with a roller to avoid lifting 85 pound boat; a hoist to store it on the ceiling; a trolling motor if you plan to use in in bays/tides; a battery. I have a Group 31 Marine Gell battery that weights about 80 pounds. I've run the motor about an hour and the battery meter on the motor still shows full.
Getting the boat off the car, unfolded and into the water takes about 30 minutes at a normal pace. The boat only draws 5 inches so I can beach it after raising the motor and get into shallow water. I have used it with a large tripod - the boat is very stable since it is 5 feet wide. However I now use it with a monopod inserted into a pvc pipe that slips into a slot in a seat that I modified.
I can use it on the bays and at Prime Hook. There is no nearby boat launch for Bombay Hook. I can also use it at Assategue but have not done so. I need to check with Blackwater which allows kayaking so they probably would allow an electric trolling motor.
The entire setup with boat, motor and battery fits in and on my Ford Fiesta.
Wow that's very impressive setup!!
Yeah I'm just starting out so it'll be a few years before I have a decent setup like that...
Do you need a boating license in assawoman bay for that?

07-08-2016, 07:12 AM   #22451
Veteran Member

Wow that's very impressive setup!!
Yeah I'm just starting out so it'll be a few years before I have a decent setup like that...
Do you need a boating license in assawoman bay for that?
I think if you power your boat with an electric toothbrush you need a license - it is cheap but you do need to pay the taxman.
07-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #22452
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend who is a professional nature photographer (specializes in moose) home-made a very interesting flotation photo device. Basically like the devices used by fishermen, a ring or horse-shoe shaped float you sit into wearing chest waders. But he made his out of styrofoam with a sheet of plywood on top, cut-outs for water-poof plastic boxes, a built-up spot with a hole where a short tripod center pole could be inserted with a head, holes for flexible rods to support a tent of camouflage material, and an extra wood piece on the back to mount a trolling motor. Uses the motor to get into approximate location, then his feet to move slowly closer or twist around. Seems to work very well. He has some interesting quizzical stares from waterfowl who seem to be wondering what he/it is.
07-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #22453

If you're interested in a fantastic, low 'sneak' boat, GREAT for photography, duck hunting, fishing, I highly recommend looking into a Poke Boat.

I picked up a used one after years of searching and being jealous of watching the ease at which my buddy could carry, paddle and maneuver this amazing little vessel. At 28lbs, I can carry it with one hand, while carrying other equipment in the other. It is so easy to drag long distances, I can move it with ease with just one hand on a paddle while the other is at-the-ready, it tracks well. Super well-made. Incredibly safe and stable, you literally sit below the waterline. Yes, new ones are VERY EXPENSIVE!! But, if you have the means, you'll never feel like it wasn't worth the money. Or, do what I did, seek out a used one. I paid $650 for mine and it's been worth every penny.
07-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #22454
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcerrati Quote
If you're interested in a fantastic, low 'sneak' boat, GREAT for photography, duck hunting, fishing, I highly recommend looking into a Poke Boat.

I picked up a used one after years of searching and being jealous of watching the ease at which my buddy could carry, paddle and maneuver this amazing little vessel. At 28lbs, I can carry it with one hand, while carrying other equipment in the other. It is so easy to drag long distances, I can move it with ease with just one hand on a paddle while the other is at-the-ready, it tracks well. Super well-made. Incredibly safe and stable, you literally sit below the waterline. Yes, new ones are VERY EXPENSIVE!! But, if you have the means, you'll never feel like it wasn't worth the money. Or, do what I did, seek out a used one. I paid $650 for mine and it's been worth every penny.
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna research these a bit!
Always open to suggestions, especially if there is first hand positive experience to go with it!

07-08-2016, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #22455
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3, M 400/5.6, LensMaster RH-2 Gimbal head - ISO 800

Playing with the M 400/5.6 in the back yard yesterday 2016-07-07 while the Jays were visiting. I used the Fringe Colour Selector in Lightroom 6.3 to remove the purple fringing. The photo at the bird bath was taken wide open in Aperture priority.

The photo with the wasp was news to me. Terrible shot, but evidence that my least loved insect is taken care of by these wonderful birds. I stepped on a yellow jacket wasp nest when I was 10 and was stung to the point that I couldn't wear shoes for days - not that I wear shoes when I don't have to - leaving me with a phobia. I was stung in the arm pit a couple of years ago and did not react at all other than to the pain, but the phobia is deeper than logic about allergic reactions. Yellow jacket wasps still give me the willies. Any other coloured insect is no problem, even hornets don't freak me out.

The rest of the photos were taken in Manual mode. 1/125@f/8