Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #22741
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Landing Zone," showing Canada geese, was captured from Whiting Overlook Park in Midland County, Michigan, with my handheld Pentax K-S2 and SMC Pentax-F 1:4.5-5.6 100-300mm at 300mm
[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/KBKMro]Landing Zone[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/stumfrohm2011/]smfmi[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

---------- Post added 08-02-16 at 10:49 PM ----------

"Stacks (aka August Reflection)" was captured at the same site with the same camera and lens.

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/JQGVNv]Stacks (aka August Reflection)[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/stumfrohm2011/]smfmi[/url], on Flickr" target="_blank">

08-02-2016, 08:05 PM - 6 Likes   #22742
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Green heron

A lot of great pictures!! Keep them coming.
I haven't had anything decent lately.
Here is a young green heron taken today with A*300mm + 2x-L TC.

08-02-2016, 08:29 PM - 10 Likes   #22743

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Nice shooting - very beautiful bird
Thank you.

Here I have a nice set of Bald Eagle. It was at the end of April 2016. There was a nesting pair of Bald Eagles near the Puget Sound (Skagit Bay, WA).
One eagle was sitting in the nest and other few branches above. Then all of the sudden the one sitting at the top of the tree took off and drop of the sight at the back side of the tree and few seconds later landed a few trees over to the right, right front of me. He was sitting there for a while and then with no warning just took of and flew in between some branches over me. This thing was huge.

I had my K-50 mounted with Pentax SMC 500mm f/4.5 on tripod. I was scrambling to keep the bird in the focus as it was flying towards me slightly to the right. SMC 500mm f/4.5 is K-mount lens fully manual.Nothing auto on this lens...manual focus, manual aperture. I had my work cut out for me.
It amazes me how good these older Pentax lenses still are. Not the new ED quality glass, but they still produces excellent images if someone is willing
to learn how to get most out of them. I will never sell this lens, built like a Sherman tank

Here is the beast SMC 500mm f/4.5 with K-50 and the Bald Eagle sequence shots.

Last edited by cleaverx; 09-05-2016 at 10:05 AM.
08-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #22744

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
A lot of great pictures!! Keep them coming.
I haven't had anything decent lately.
Here is a young green heron taken today with A*300mm + 2x-L TC
Nice picture. I don't see them very often were I live. We have tons of Great Blue Herons here.

08-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #22745
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote
I took these Steller's Jay pics in April-2016. Jays were munching on the suet.
Pics were taken with K-50 and Pentax SMC 500mm f/4.5. Shots are very little cropped. I haven't see them for a while since I am not putting out any suet.
Why these birds don't come just for a little visit. Take some pictures of them, and then they can fly away. Why we have to bribe them with the food
we feed sunflower seeds and some smaller bird seek.

The steller jays are always there we have around half a dozen of them regularly...

what we haven't seen since spring are the camp robbers (gray jays).
08-03-2016, 01:30 AM   #22746
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice shooting agin - the eagles probably didn't enjoy having you near their nest??

I just sold my copy of that lens to another forum member a week ago - you did a nice job with the lens.
Thank you.

Here I have a nice set of Bald Eagle. It was at the end of April 2016. There was a nesting pair of Bald Eagles near the Puget Sound (Skagit Bay, WA).
One eagle was sitting in the nest and other few branches above. Then all of the sudden the one sitting at the top of the tree took off and drop of the sight at the back side of the tree and few seconds landed a few trees over to the right, right front of me. He was sitting there for a while and then with no warning just took of and flew in between some branches over me. This thing was huge.

I had my K-50 mounted with Pentax SMC 500mm f/4.5 on tripod. I was scrambling to keep the bird in the focus as it was flying towards me slightly to the right. SMC 500mm f/4.5 is K-mount lens fully manual.Nothing auto on this lens...manual focus, manual aperture. I had my work cut out for me.
It amazes me how good these older Pentax lenses still are. Not the new ED quality glass, but they still produces excellent images if someone is willing
to learn how to get most out of them. I will never sell this lens, built like a Sherman tank

Here is the beast SMC 500mm f/4.5 with K-50 and the Bald Eagle sequence shots.

08-03-2016, 07:23 AM - 7 Likes   #22747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tried a new destination yesterday - the light was harsh and the birds weren't very close, but probably worth a return visit. All of these are pushing the limits of cropping with the K-3, DA*300mm and 1.4xTC.

Lots of young Black Terns around, but very hard to catch in flight:

Also plenty of Lesser Yellowlegs

And watching over everything:

08-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #22748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
new destination
Love the flying tern and, of course, the Osprey!
08-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #22749
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Great job with fully manual gear.
08-03-2016, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #22750
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Tried a new destination yesterday - the light was harsh and the birds weren't very close, but probably worth a return visit. All of these are pushing the limits of cropping with the K-3, DA*300mm and 1.4xTC.

Perfect shot!
08-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #22751

Lots of young Black Terns around, but very hard to catch in flight:
Love the picture of flying Black Tern skimming the water. Yeah it is hard to shoot in midday in the sun. Too bad you couldn'get close enough.
08-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #22752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice picture. I don't see them very often were I live. We have tons of Great Blue Herons here.
Green herons tend to be more secretive. So, you don't see them as often as the GBH.
The young green herons tend to come out in the open more often though.
08-03-2016, 03:13 PM - 7 Likes   #22753
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mule Deer

The mule deer bucks have collected together and I saw 15 bucks in one group today. They ranged from several bucks in their prime down to some young spike bucks and there wasn't a single doe in the group. Kind out a boys outing I guess. This is the biggest group of bucks I have ever seen together. FA 600
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-03-2016, 08:03 PM - 7 Likes   #22754

Here are some pics from today's walk on the trail. This Cooper's Hawk jump out of bushes and landed right in front of me. I had my K-50 + SMC 500mm f/4.5 mounted on the tripod. I was afraid that he will take of when I would lower and set-up the tripod, but he was just looking at me and I didn't complain. I was just shooting away with the smile.
These are full frame shots with very little tweaking in my Aperture post processing.

Last edited by cleaverx; 09-05-2016 at 10:04 AM.
08-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #22755
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cooper's Hawk
Nice! There've been a lot of grackles around here lately.

« The M Club! | - »