Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #23026
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-3 and DA*200, by itself, with the 1.4 TC or with the 1.7x AF adapter. No stacking was needed today.
ISO 400, 5.6 , AV

It's getting to be fall and the fruits are coming ripe, which is a perfect time for Cedar Waxings to pig out. Tess found this bush full of birds on her morning run and sent me out to get pictures. She's my loyal scout.

There were 30-40 birds in this flock, all I had to do was stand there and wait for one to come close. Chasing was not allowed, they'd all leave. Moving your camera was not allowed, scratching your head was not allowed, but in the end, worth it in my opinion.

That was good.......
Norm, great set of Cedar Waxwings, but the 4th pic (upside down CW) looks like an Audubon painting!! Outstanding photo!!

09-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #23027
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Vivitar 500mm

Took these shots yesterday from my backyard just to test the lens. I am still clumsy with the hyper manual on the K-5 but I managed 2 good shots. First one is of the water tower antennas that is about 1.5 mile from my home. Second one is an eagle I found in one of the water tower shots! I think the eagle was actually farther away from me at first. The eagle came a bit closer but those shots didn't turn out so good. I guess I need a MF focusing screen like the Katseye. 3rd photo I put in is of the eagle. There are all edited and greater than 100% crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-01-2016, 04:48 PM   #23028
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote
Nice picture. Looks pretty sharp , even more considering using 2 x TC. It is a bummer that Pentax doesn't make like used to 600mm f/4. That is the lens I am saving money for. Perfect lens for birding. Actually 500mm f/4 would be just as good and more versatile for handheld shooting.

---------- Post added 08-31-16 at 06:18 PM ----------

I was experimenting with fairly slow shutter speed for Hummingbird shots at 1/200 sec creating blur. Looks different and I like it.

K-1 SMC A 400mm f/5.6 handheld,,,shot right thru my opened living room window.

Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry if you misinterpreted my previous post, the aircraft image was the 150-450 without a teleconverter. I've not tried the 2x converter on the 150-450 yet but might give it a go soon. Hopefully it will come out alright. I would have loved the opportunity to pick up the 250-600 but that's a pipedream now so will make do with what I have and maybe add the Pentax 1.4 converter as the shots people are getting indicate it performs well. Of course, the F or FA 600/4 would be brilliant so hopefully you'll be successful in tracking one down.

So you can sit in your living room and capture humming birds? Wow, that's laid back photography.

I like the blurred wings, the sense of motion is more obvious and the details around the head are plenty sharp. The larger image on Flickr is worth checking out for sure. Some lovely work mate.

Tas
09-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #23029

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Sorry if you misinterpreted my previous post, the aircraft image was the 150-450 without a teleconverter. I've not tried the 2x converter on the 150-450 yet but might give it a go soon. Hopefully it will come out alright. I would have loved the opportunity to pick up the 250-600 but that's a pipedream now so will make do with what I have and maybe add the Pentax 1.4 converter as the shots people are getting indicate it performs well. Of course, the F or FA 600/4 would be brilliant so hopefully you'll be successful in tracking one down.

So you can sit in your living room and capture humming birds? Wow, that's laid back photography.

I like the blurred wings, the sense of motion is more obvious and the details around the head are plenty sharp. The larger image on Flickr is worth checking out for sure. Some lovely work mate.

Tas
Thanks for the kind words. I almost bought 150-450mm for my K-1, but I decided to wait.
I have Hummingbird feeder just outside the window, all I have to do is sit on the chair and taking shots from about 10 feet away when Hummingbirds arrives. But I much rather chase the birds on the fields. Lately chasing Barn Owls, they cover so much territory so I get some workout.

09-02-2016, 04:33 AM   #23030
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would have loved the opportunity to pick up the 250-600
Brace yourself before you "pick up" a 250~600mm Pentax, it weighs two-and-half times what the 150~450mm weighs (4900g versus 2,000g). NOT a hand-held walkabout lens.
09-02-2016, 04:58 AM   #23031
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Brace yourself before you "pick up" a 250~600mm Pentax, it weighs two-and-half times what the 150~450mm weighs (4900g versus 2,000g). NOT a hand-held walkabout lens.
Yeah, that sounds like a lot to carry around. The bigger issue would be tracking subjects with it, something I've found an issue with the 150-450 after a couple of hours. For now I've got a good tele and can't really throw money at a new lens even if I could find one. The 1.4x however might give me that extra bit of reach for a lot less investment.
09-02-2016, 05:37 AM   #23032
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, that sounds like a lot to carry around. The bigger issue would be tracking subjects with it, something I've found an issue with the 150-450 after a couple of hours. For now I've got a good tele and can't really throw money at a new lens even if I could find one. The 1.4x however might give me that extra bit of reach for a lot less investment.
Film days, using my LX with winder, high-eye-relief viewfinder, 400mm f4 Tamron with 2XL converter, I found the ONLY way to deal with even relatively static subjects (birds at a feeder) was a large Bogen.Manfrotto tripod fitted with a Bogen/Manfrotto "heavy lens cradle^^." I also used that support below a Nikon FA + winder (a combination heavier than the LX + winder) with a Nikon 500mm f4 and Nikon 2X converter (I think designated "301"). I still have that tripod & lens cradle, as well as the 400mm* Tammy and 2XL converter (Nikon gear long gone), and use it now and then below the 150~450mm, but the latter mounted on a K3 or K1 is MUCH lighter and easier to handle that the two film-era long-lens systems.

* Although the f-stop is smaller, the 150~450mm has IQ as good or better @400mm than the Tammy, it is autofocus, it's much quicker/easier to use and vastly more versatile. It's also marginally lighter (2000g versus a bit over 2200g). I should put the Tammy up for sale, as it is almost never used now. However, I had a CLA done a few years back, and it's an old friend than was a big purchase at the time. I've generally been ruthless about trading or selling gear that's fallen out of use, but later I've regretted letting go of some of that equipment (eg: the 500mm Nikon, an excellent lens that could have been used on Pentax with an adapter).

^^I think this heavy lens cradle is just as effective, maybe better balanced that the popular Wimberley head, and it is MUCH less expensive. I think that the Wimberley, like Gitzo tripods, are bought in part because more expensive must be better.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-02-2016 at 05:49 AM.
09-02-2016, 07:01 AM - 9 Likes   #23033
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few more shots from my car. K-5/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Eckla window mount.. I got the 600mm on the12th of Aug last year and I think it's one of the best purchases I have ever made.

09-02-2016, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #23034
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
A few more shots from my car. K-5/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Eckla window mount.. I got the 600mm on the12th of Aug last year and I think it's one of the best purchases I have ever made.
As usual, really outstanding bird images. And don't give the lens all of the credit. It's only as good as the skill of the person who's using it. Equipment does not make fine images; photographers do.
09-02-2016, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #23035
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Incredible images. Thanks for posting....
09-02-2016, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #23036
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A marvellous set of images there Gary, shows the lens is excellent all these years later and you've got the skill to make the most of it.

Tas

---------- Post added 09-03-16 at 06:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Film days, using my LX with winder, high-eye-relief viewfinder, 400mm f4 Tamron with 2XL converter, I found the ONLY way to deal with even relatively static subjects (birds at a feeder) was a large Bogen.Manfrotto tripod fitted with a Bogen/Manfrotto "heavy lens cradle^^." I also used that support below a Nikon FA + winder (a combination heavier than the LX + winder) with a Nikon 500mm f4 and Nikon 2X converter (I think designated "301"). I still have that tripod & lens cradle, as well as the 400mm* Tammy and 2XL converter (Nikon gear long gone), and use it now and then below the 150~450mm, but the latter mounted on a K3 or K1 is MUCH lighter and easier to handle that the two film-era long-lens systems.

* Although the f-stop is smaller, the 150~450mm has IQ as good or better @400mm than the Tammy, it is autofocus, it's much quicker/easier to use and vastly more versatile. It's also marginally lighter (2000g versus a bit over 2200g). I should put the Tammy up for sale, as it is almost never used now. However, I had a CLA done a few years back, and it's an old friend than was a big purchase at the time. I've generally been ruthless about trading or selling gear that's fallen out of use, but later I've regretted letting go of some of that equipment (eg: the 500mm Nikon, an excellent lens that could have been used on Pentax with an adapter).

^^I think this heavy lens cradle is just as effective, maybe better balanced that the popular Wimberley head, and it is MUCH less expensive. I think that the Wimberley, like Gitzo tripods, are bought in part because more expensive must be better.
I'd love to pick up an LX or even a simpler film camera. The idea of B&W film appeals greatly and would really help my eye. You need to stop giving me ideas.

I can understand going for a gimbal with the long lenses, the more you use long lenses the more sense they make. I really don't have a need for one yet, though I've found my Manfrotto Junior Geared Head is allowing some vibration with the 150-450. Hence my interest in a Gimbal. Before then though I'd try this: 055 Magnesium Photo-Movie Head with Q5 Quick Release it's currently fitted to my monopod: Aluminum Fluid Monopod with 3/8'' top attachment, 4 sections so as I already have it I will see if it's more stable, though having said this would a gimbal provide better stability with a longer lens in windy conditions? This has been when I've found vibration to be an issue.
09-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #23037
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A good alternative to a gimbal is a fluid head, most made for movie use. I have a small Slik pan-tilt-level head that has adjustable fluid resistance on the pan & tilt motions, and it is very convenient for doing macro, which is akin to using a long tele (= small movements of the camera + lens = big changes in alignment relative to the subject. I have a much more expensive Gitzo pan-tilt-level head (= a "rationale" head) that has no fluid resistance and is significantly trickier to align with the subject. I use a Manfrotto geared head strictly in my "studio" as I've found it too heavy for use the in the field, especially mounted on a tripod of suitable size.
09-02-2016, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #23038

These are very fine images, super sharp...good as they get. I think that this lens is just as good as $12,000 Canon or Nikon 600mm f/4.
09-02-2016, 06:22 PM - 4 Likes   #23039
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Taken this morning. I think this is a young Red-Tail Hawk and the same one I've seen in the tree from time to time all summer.

09-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #23040

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Taken this morning. I think this is a young Red-Tail Hawk and the same one I've seen in the tree from time to time all summer.
Beautiful shot, nice job. I think it is a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk.