Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #23161
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
And a White - Breasted Nuthatch, not usually seen on the ground.
Great image. Ah, the power of found food.

09-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #23162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks Norm. I had to wait a while for it to come out into the sunlight. Hope you're up and mobile now.
09-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #23163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Thanks Norm. I had to wait a while for it to come out into the sunlight. Hope you're up and mobile now.
I know the feeling.... I took a stool out with me today. I;m tired of standing around waiting for birds.

Last edited by normhead; 09-17-2016 at 05:45 AM.
09-16-2016, 07:07 PM - 7 Likes   #23164
Pentaxian

Male and female mountain bluebird, American Pipit and a long billed dowitcher. All transients in their migrations.

09-16-2016, 10:13 PM - 3 Likes   #23165
Veteran Member

Catbird.

One of my favorites. For years, when we lived in the woods, they would raise their family in a bush next to the deck.
So far as I know they were generations of the same family.
In the evening they would bring the whole family to the bath and play around in the water not more than 8 feet from us.
I consider it an honor to gain such trust from another species.

Last edited by wildman; 09-21-2016 at 07:44 AM.
09-16-2016, 10:16 PM - 4 Likes   #23166

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
a.k.a. LBB - little brown bird.

I think many in N. America will know what this is...
Lovely pictures nice colors and detail. What lens are you using??

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-3 and DA*200 with HD DA 1.4 TC
First three images
1/2000s, ƒ4, ISO from 200-1600

Next 7 images,
ISO 400, ƒ4.5, AV

It's hard to describe the pandemonium around the feeder when I first put the feed out in the morning.

A squirrel in hot pursuit of another critter he feels is trying to steal his favourite treats.
Another awesome set Norm. Love the Blue Jay and Chickadee.

---------- Post added 09-16-16 at 10:27 PM ----------

Some recent pics...testing out K-3.

Great Blue Heron. For this guy I crawled thru the mud to get to the bank of the channel to clear tall grass and set there at the bank motionless and let the bird come to me.
Most shots weere full frame, with no or very little cropping.

09-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #23167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote
It's a 560mm APO fluorite triplet scope not a telephoto.

Last edited by wildman; 09-18-2016 at 07:54 PM.
09-17-2016, 05:17 AM   #23168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses a Bogen/Manfrotto heavy lens cradle instead of a Wimberley.
09-17-2016, 05:48 AM   #23169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote

Great Blue Heron. For this guy I crawled thru the mud to get to the bank of the channel to clear tall grass and set there at the bank motionless and let the bird come to me.
Most shots weere full frame, with no or very little cropping.
I saw a heron last night but couldn't get close at all. The joy in living next to wilderness. Many of the animals i see leave, as soon as i spot them.
09-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #23170
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's an impressive rig - did you make custom mounts? Is this a "Wildman Original" design?

Getting close is critical. I did try a hide but the biting flies in the wetlands and marshes around lower Delaware are too much for me during the summer, plus the flies seem impervious to repellent. I found a small boat or kayak works well, letting the boat drift close rather than paddle or use the trolling motor. With a 500mm to 600mm lens you can get close enough fill the frame plus get down to eye level.

Either way, getting into position and letting the animals come to you or using a small boat and drifting, involves a lot of time for a few possible pictures. In the case of my Porte-Bote, it is a half hour to one hour getting there by car, a half hour set up and another half hour teardown plus getting on location.
09-17-2016, 08:06 AM - 3 Likes   #23171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
That's an impressive rig - did you make custom mounts? Is this a "Wildman Original" design?
Nothing custom about it except for the red dot finder mount .

Although the objectives were custom. Raw fluorite blank from Zeiss (Schott) in Germany, ground and figured by Lomo in Russia, polished, coated and assembled into a final objective cluster by Zeiss in Germany.

I found a small boat or kayak works well,

I use a canoe pretty much the same way on the Upper Mississippi Wild Life Refuge.

Either way, getting into position and letting the animals come to you or using a small boat and drifting, involves a lot of time for a few possible pictures. In the case of my Porte-Bote, it is a half hour to one hour getting there by car, a half hour set up and another half hour teardown plus getting on location.

I had a big advantage over most. For 25 years I lived on 62 acres of my own land bounded on two sides by a US wildlife refuge. I knew all the good spots on my land depending on what species I was looking for. So I could go out for a day, set up and shoot and when done just cover the rig up with a big plastic garbage bag and leave it to walk home for supper and a good nights rest and pick up where I left off the next morning. No car needed.

This shoot is the height of roughing it - taken through my kitchen window while I was having coffee at the kitchen table. There he was on the feeder so I just swung the rig around and pulled the trigger.

Tufted Titmouse...

Last edited by wildman; 09-21-2016 at 07:44 AM.
09-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #23172

Nice set up you got there. I am using the same Manfrotto gimbal head I just bought this week for my SMC 500mm f/4.5
09-17-2016, 09:49 AM - 4 Likes   #23173
Veteran Member

I posted this on another thread once but thought it might be of interest here where we are talking long glass.

A dinky Cape May Warbler taken across a small stream at about 70? feet. K5 at 560mm.

Tried an extreme crop - FF and crop.

Last edited by wildman; 09-18-2016 at 07:54 PM.
09-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #23174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

T I found a small boat or kayak works well, letting the boat drift close rather than paddle or use the trolling motor. .
Let me describe a partially home-built rig used by a friend who is a professional nature photographer.

Glued together multiple layers of Styrofoam (home insulation type) to make a doughnut-shaped floating device similar to the inflatable inner tubes used by fly fisherman, with a breeches-buoy style seat in the middle. A plywood sheet was glued on the top. Holes were drilled or cut through the plywood down into Styrofoam in two shapes: 1) rectangular to accommodate waterproof plastic boxes for various pieces of photo equipment, and 2) built-up circular openings (=glue several blocks of 2X4 lumber to built up a spot 8 inches or so, then drill down through all the wood into the Styrofoam. The diameter of the circular openings matched a short tripod center column, slid in with whatever head attached that you want. He would either 1) attach vertical grass stalks all around, or 2) cover over everything including himself with leafy branches or camouflage cloth supported by flexible fiberglass rods (from a tent supply store). Put on chest waders and push or kick your way along. If you move slowly enough there's no disturbance of surface water, just a drifting mass of weeds or branches. In the final version he added a block at the back for an electric trolling motor with a cut-out compartment for batteries, for move across more open water to a good location. He said that sometimes he could get with 10 feet or so of ducks or other waterfowl who seemed to regard the rig as some strange floating island. You could just buy one of the fisherman floats, selecting one most suitable for photo use (there are many designs, I considered purchasing one once and thought the best designs were horseshoe-shaped rather than a full circle), but you'd probably still have to make some kind of support spot for the tripod head.
09-17-2016, 10:53 AM - 3 Likes   #23175
Veteran Member

Taken with a much cheaper 500mm achromat - requires a bit more PP to get it right.

White-throated Sparrow

Last edited by wildman; 09-21-2016 at 11:51 AM.