Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #23731
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Rainbow Bee-eater at Newstead. K3-II, DFA 150-450mm + 1.4xTC
Wow nice. I guess I still have a long way to improve my technique to achieve your kind of result.

11-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #23732
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
Thanks RockvilleBob for your kind words.

Black Backed Kingfisher shot with K3 + Sigma 500 F4.5
Another encore performance Ken, Bravo
11-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #23733
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Wow nice. I guess I still have a long way to improve my technique to achieve your kind of result.
Thanks, but I don't think there is anything too clever about my technique. A sharp shot of these little blokes makes anyone look like a pro, they are such colourful birds in their breeding plumage and light up so nicely in good sunlight.

Cheers,
Terry
11-05-2016, 08:14 PM - 8 Likes   #23734
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
That's an incredible shot. I think we're all benefitting from a little bit of friendly competition between Kengoh and Pentaxians.
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
We are.

I have been thinking for a couple of days that we see quite a different aesthetic from each of them. Kengoh usually has a very smooth background, abstracting the bird from its environment whereas Pentaxians tends to produce recognisable forms int he background, showing the birds in context. Different, but both well executed.
Many thanks for the comments from both of you. Personally, there's ain't any competition as both of us (ALL of us, is this forums) are using Pentax gears, in terms of composition, framing of the object, shooting style, etc, to each of its own, yes, def. have some differences between me and Ken.

Locally, so far from what I know there are only 3 persons (me, Ken and Mr Loke) are using Pentax gears in wildlife photography. Majority are flooded with Canikon. This is not a good sign but some of them do respecting pentax colours while talking to them in the field. I'd met Mr. Loke (he tend to posting most of his shots in his facebook) several times in the field. I'm started late (around Apr 2015) in wildlife photography and I'm still learning most of the Technics from Mr Ken and Loke

Back to sharing. first time seeing this Colugos while waiting for the Brown Hawk Owl (the current star bird of the month), info extracted from the wiki: Colugos are arboreal gliding mammals found in Southeast Asia. Just two extant species make up the entire family Cynocephalidae and order Dermoptera.They are the most capable gliders of all gliding mammals, using flaps of extra skin between their legs to glide from higher to lower locations. They are also known as cobegos or flying lemurs, although they are not true lemurs.

11-06-2016, 03:26 AM - 13 Likes   #23735
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Back to sharing. first time seeing this Colugos while waiting for the Brown Hawk Owl (the current star bird of the month),
Wow! Never heard about these animals and then pictures like that....

I'm back from a (rainy) trip to the island of Malta. Took the long lenses with me for birding - and brought back exactly zero (0) bird pictures....

So, the 150-450 had to serve as macro:

also the DA*300/4 with 1.4 TC did well with insects:

and finally two shots with the "naked" DA*300/4. The chameleon had just caught a big butterfly an was munching....

11-06-2016, 03:39 AM   #23736
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lemonsoda Quote
I'm back from a (rainy) trip to the island of Malta. Took the long lenses with me for birding - and brought back exactly zero (0) bird pictures....
Stupid question... Malta is know for its birds and widlife in general ? Did go to some nationnal park or something?
11-06-2016, 03:58 AM   #23737
Forum Member

Wildlife is poor in Malta as the island has very few natural environments left. Despite of that, you can find lot of birds there during spring and fall migration, because they use Malta as a stopover between Europe and Africa. But due to bird hunting by local idiots, the birds are very shy. But there are some nice reptiles to find, like the chameleons (you can find them in every shrub, there is no special area for them). We went there just to spend some warm days in autumn, as it is an inexpensive trip from Germany.
11-06-2016, 05:55 AM   #23738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks for the comments from both of you. Personally, there's ain't any competition as both of us (ALL of us, is this forums) are using Pentax gears, in terms of composition, framing of the object, shooting style, etc, to each of its own, yes, def. have some differences between me and Ken.
You're doing great work and setting an example for us all. Never heard of Colugos before - a lot more exotic looking than our flying squirrels!

11-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #23739
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After looking back through the last several pages all I can say is ow, just wow!
11-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #23740
Pentaxian

Locally, so far from what I know there are only 3 persons (me, Ken and Mr Loke) are using Pentax gears in wildlife photography. Majority are flooded with Canikon. This is not a good sign but some of them do respecting pentax colours while talking to them in the field. I'd met Mr. Loke (he tend to posting most of his shots in his facebook) several times in the field. I'm started late (around Apr 2015) in wildlife photography and I'm still learning most of the Technics from Mr Ken and Loke

Back to sharing. first time seeing this Colugos while waiting for the Brown Hawk Owl (the current star bird of the month), info extracted from the wiki: Colugos are arboreal gliding mammals found in Southeast Asia. Just two extant species make up the entire family Cynocephalidae and order Dermoptera.They are the most capable gliders of all gliding mammals, using flaps of extra skin between their legs to glide from higher to lower locations. They are also known as cobegos or flying lemurs, although they are not true lemurs.

Amazing!
11-06-2016, 10:46 AM - 9 Likes   #23741
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Another encore performance Ken, Bravo
Thanks RockvilleBob again for your great comments.

Same sentiments as Pentaxians, we are not competing, just wanna share Asian birds to the other part of the world. I do envy you guys got humming birds to shoot which I've not seen one and definitely love to have one captured by my K1/K3's sensor.
Personally I've not shot with Pentaxian for years, the first time I shot with him was 6yrs ago where I just started birding, haven't got the Sigma 500 F4.5 lens yet, Pentaxian haven't started shooting bird, guess that was the first time shooting with me.

Long Tailed Shrike - this bird was at Pentaxians' house downstairs playground, thanks to Pentaxians for bringing me to the location to shoot this bird.
Shot with K5 + DA*300

11-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #23742
Pentaxian

Same sentiments as Pentaxians, we are not competing, just wanna share Asian birds to the other part of the world. I do envy you guys got humming birds to shoot which I've not seen one and definitely love to have one captured by my K1/K3's sensor.
Personally I've not shot with Pentaxian for years, the first time I shot with him was 6yrs ago where I just started birding, haven't got the Sigma 500 F4.5 lens yet, Pentaxian haven't started shooting bird, guess that was the first time shooting with me.

Long Tailed Shrike - this bird was at Pentaxians' house downstairs playground, thanks to Pentaxians for bringing me to the location to shoot this bird.
Shot with K5 + DA*300

I did not mean that you were competing. What I observed was that your styles are different which results in different aesthetics, but beyond that a different communication about the subject, the bird. Neither vision of the birds is better than the other, just different, in a significant way about what they communicate. Both of you produce high quality work.
11-06-2016, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #23743
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some acquaintances went to the Adirondacks this morning to shoot boreal birds, I'm stuck at home shooting feeder birds...

I changed things up a bit today by shooting slower shutter speeds, mostly from a tripod. Mostly because I'm tired of holding up 6 lbs of camera & lens...

Two young White-throated Sparrows joined the Juncos.

Then one decided to pose.

There are still at least 10 House Sparrows hanging around :feud:

And one not-bird

11-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #23744
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fascinating creatures, well captured. Thanks for posting these!

Shot with K5 + DA*300
I really, really like the shot from the back showing the tail feathers so beautifully!
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Some acquaintances went to the Adirondacks this morning to shoot boreal birds, I'm stuck at home shooting feeder birds...
Lovely. All we have at the feeder here are jays: blue and Steller's. All the little ones except the odd junco have flown away.
11-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #23745
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Knock, Knock. Can I come in? I just bought a Sigma 400mm from a forum member and did get one shot today. Still have not really tested it at the local river parks. Hope to do that this week.
Welcome to the group!

---------- Post added 11-06-16 at 05:49 PM ----------

Shot with K5 + DA*300

Wonderful capture. Birds of the tropic are so different and beautiful-looking. I certainly enjoy them very much.