Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA560 + 1.4x TC

11-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #23822
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Not a usual choice for flower photography... well not be me anyway.
I really like this photo. How much PP did you do?
11-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #23823
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
If Gary were to do an online course on bird photography I'd sign up and pay for it in a heart beat. His pictures are beyond amazing, almost impossible it sometimes seems. At least Gary could write up a book on bird photography techniques... I can think of a couple great titles, it would sell millions!! ;-)
Maybe a quite interesting idea would be a co-authored book with Gary, Pentaxians and Kengoh and perhaps one of the participants from North America. It could come together with examples of both the diversity of birds in their respective regions and the spread of styles, which have differences which themselves are part of the potential interest.
11-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #23824
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I really like this photo. How much PP did you do?
Slight darken to corners that's all... why?

11-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #23825
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Slight darken to corners that's all... why?
Just curious if you got that effect through the camera or PP.
11-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #23826
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Just curious if you got that effect through the camera or PP.
I remember it was at minimum focus distance on the "Duchess".
11-13-2016, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #23827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not my best ever, but here's my punt at today's 'supermoon' - the forecast for tomorrow is cloudy, so I thought better get it in. K3 with FA* 400mm f/5.6

11-13-2016, 06:35 PM - 11 Likes   #23828
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Fantastic shooting
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
I second that. Such colour. Our Kingfishers look dull by comparison.
Thanks Bob and Kevriano. Indeed, this little gems only measuring about 13cm in body length. My collection of the KFs are almost done within the country.

Sharing another two of the local residents.

Stork-billed KF

White-throated KF
11-13-2016, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #23829
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My attempt at the supermoon tonight. Lots of high thin clouds and pretty windy. Sigma 50-500 plus Tamron 1.4TC on the K3. Tomorrow is supposed to be even worse so I did not want to wait.

11-14-2016, 05:18 AM - 10 Likes   #23830
Veteran Member

Picture of silly people taking a picture of the moon..... geez get a life!

Goolwa Beach's moon tonight
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr
11-14-2016, 06:59 AM - 2 Likes   #23831
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Picture of silly people taking a picture of the moon..... geez get a life!

Goolwa Beach's moon tonight
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr
Noel, you made me laugh out loud!! ;-) Kind of the way I felt last evening while standing in the dark in the middle of a road with 500mm on tripod trying to set up camera and lens without flashlight... :-/
Bob

---------- Post added 11-14-16 at 08:02 AM ----------

Not a usual choice for flower photography... well not be me anyway.
WOW! fine piece of art that is....

---------- Post added 11-14-16 at 08:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Thanks Woodywesty . Really kind of you to say that. If you think that there is anything that I can help you with just ask.

I managed to get some shots of a Red Kite today from the car with my K-5/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF]/Eckla window mount . These birds are very wary and usually fly off.

Well Gary, there are soooo many very good photographers on this forum and particularly in this 300mm thread but there are three or four who have one way or another figured it all out and consistently get outstanding pictures. It is wonderful for the rest of us to see these works as they give us examples of how good it can be along with hints of what it takes. Your pictures hit all the composition buttons but also have perfect exposure and near studio like setting and lighting. Your backgrounds are creamy, smooth and uncluttered so that everything is about the bird. I I guess what I'd like to know is how do you find birds consistently posing perfectly in the right location? If you had a blind I could imagine it happening maybe frequently but you're in a car. Speaking of the car, I have this American vision of an English guy cruising around in a late 60's Bentley wearing a nice wool tweed jacket and smoking a pipe while doing all of this! ;-) (I watch too much BBC TV) Oh, and the titles for your birding photography book could be "Shooting Birds from a car" or simply "Drive by Shooting" which would sell well in some parts! ;-) Best regards, Bob
11-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #23832
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Noel, you made me laugh out loud!! ;-) Kind of the way I felt last evening while standing in the dark in the middle of a road with 500mm on tripod trying to set up camera and lens without flashlight... :-/
Bob

---------- Post added 11-14-16 at 08:02 AM ----------

WOW! fine piece of art that is....

---------- Post added 11-14-16 at 08:26 AM ----------

Well Gary, there are soooo many very good photographers on this forum and particularly in this 300mm thread but there are three or four who have one way or another figured it all out and consistently get outstanding pictures. It is wonderful for the rest of us to see these works as they give us examples of how good it can be along with hints of what it takes. Your pictures hit all the composition buttons but also have perfect exposure and near studio like setting and lighting. Your backgrounds are creamy, smooth and uncluttered so that everything is about the bird. I I guess what I'd like to know is how do you find birds consistently posing perfectly in the right location? If you had a blind I could imagine it happening maybe frequently but you're in a car. Speaking of the car, I have this American vision of an English guy cruising around in a late 60's Bentley wearing a nice wool tweed jacket and smoking a pipe while doing all of this! ;-) (I watch too much BBC TV) Oh, and the titles for your birding photography book could be "Shooting Birds from a car" or simply "Drive by Shooting" which would sell well in some parts! ;-) Best regards, Bob
Bob ,That's brilliant it made me spit my coffee out laughing.
Sometimes the bird is not in a good place light wise or it has undergrowth/twigs in front of it and in that case I just would not take a shot. Having loads of patience helps, eventually it will pop up in a good spot . The car is a great hide but one problem is that you can't always get in a position to get the camera on a bird/animal but that is all part of the fun. If I see something I drive up to it and kill the engine and hopefully coast to the right spot without getting too close to scare it off. This can be frustrating if the bird keeps flying off. The other thing is trying to hold the camera very steady.

Plus my Bentley gets awfully dirty
11-14-2016, 12:55 PM - 9 Likes   #23833
Pentaxian

DA560

11-14-2016, 01:02 PM - 12 Likes   #23834
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To my knowledge, this is the first Pentax K1 ever used on South Georgia Island!
Handheld with the 150-450 at 330 mm. (I look at this club more than the dedicated 150-450 club, so anything over 300 ends up here)
A king penguin working its way through the slush. .

Last edited by riseform; 12-20-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: adjusting white balance
11-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #23835
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
DA560

That first picture is simply fantastic!