Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2016, 01:44 AM - 8 Likes   #23941
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote
Thanks Terry for the respond. I have few more months to decide before I pull the trigger and buy new lens. I wish Pentax would come out with new 500mm or 600mm f/4 with fast focusing like new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE.

Yes, either would be a nice addition, but you certainly wouldn't be using a 600 f/4 handheld like you can with the 150-450, and also with the 1.4xTC.
Here's another example, shot with the K-3 II, with 1.4xTC and full zoom.

Cheers,
Terry

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
12-02-2016, 02:34 AM - 9 Likes   #23942
Pentaxian

Here are a few more shots from the car. K-5/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Eckla mount

12-02-2016, 04:57 AM   #23943
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Awesome shots.
Thank you
12-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #23944
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
It was a beautiful December day so I drove 2 hours to Conowingo Dam for another attempt photographing eagles arriving at 7 AM. However the dam stopped releasing water at 8 AM so the eagles were scarce and I left around 10:30 AM. I did capture both an adult and juvenile eating a fish on a branch. They both dropped their fish. Notice the difference in behavior. The adult knows there are always more fish. The adult shot was at 600mm and is cropped since it was high in the trees. Sometimes you have to shoot with what is in your hand. The juvenile landed a few feet away when I had added the 15TC so I was shooting at 900mm. The juvenile image is without any cropping.
That's awesome!

I can't wait to get out there... I've heard it's one of the best spots for eagles.
How often do they release the dam? Is it a predictable occurrence?

12-02-2016, 08:35 AM - 4 Likes   #23945
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Guanacos - all with the K-3 and DA*300mm - the 1.4x TC was added for the first one.

12-02-2016, 10:33 AM - 5 Likes   #23946
Pentaxian

DA*300 @ 420mm

12-02-2016, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #23947
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
That's awesome!

I can't wait to get out there... I've heard it's one of the best spots for eagles.
How often do they release the dam? Is it a predictable occurrence?
Conowingo Dam has a toll free number you can call the evening prior to a trip (888) 457-4076
The eagles gather to feed on the fish stunned as they pass through the dam - they like easy meals. Your ideal situation is for large releases during times when the sun is right. The sun rises to your right when facing the river from the side where photographers are permitted. For much of the morning you are shooting with the sun over your right shoulder. The best times are from around 8:30 AM to around 11:30 AM EST with DST you gain an extra hour. After 11:30 to noon EST the sun drops behind the trees.
The eagles are there in numbers in November through December. Towards Thanksgiving seems to be peak. There is a Facebook page Conowingo Bald Eagles | Facebook
Like any other wildlife outing it is ht or miss. I am still working for that ideal shot of an eagle striking the water, claws out, at touchdown with the fish visible. Even at high fps shooting getting that instance is hard with the eagle coming from the "right" direction and good light on the head. That along with just watching them fly keeps me going there every year.
While there are many places nearby to photograph eagles Conowingo offers the right conditions of the dam, stunned fish, and lots of eagles feeding at times. Being there for the right time is a combination of planning, weather, dam schedule and luck.

12-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #23948
Veteran Member

Conowingo Dam has a toll free number you can call the evening prior to a trip (888) 457-4076
The eagles gather to feed on the fish stunned as they pass through the dam - they like easy meals. Your ideal situation is for large releases during times when the sun is right. The sun rises to your right when facing the river from the side where photographers are permitted. For much of the morning you are shooting with the sun over your right shoulder. The best times are from around 8:30 AM to around 11:30 AM EST with DST you gain an extra hour. After 11:30 to noon EST the sun drops behind the trees.
The eagles are there in numbers in November through December. Towards Thanksgiving seems to be peak. There is a Facebook page Conowingo Bald Eagles | Facebook
Like any other wildlife outing it is ht or miss. I am still working for that ideal shot of an eagle striking the water, claws out, at touchdown with the fish visible. Even at high fps shooting getting that instance is hard with the eagle coming from the "right" direction and good light on the head. That along with just watching them fly keeps me going there every year.
While there are many places nearby to photograph eagles Conowingo offers the right conditions of the dam, stunned fish, and lots of eagles feeding at times. Being there for the right time is a combination of planning, weather, dam schedule and luck.
Wow lots of good info!

Though, pictures like this deter me from a place like that...

Not my image, just referencing it from GOOGLE!

Is it really that crowded?!

Also, could I get away with the DA*300 there or is all the action gonna require 500mm +?

I'm just looking at that image of massive/expensive glass and getting intimidated!
12-02-2016, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #23949
Pentaxian

Wow lots of good info!

Also, could I get away with the DA*300 there or is all the action gonna require 500mm +?

I'm just looking at that image of massive/expensive glass and getting intimidated!
My idea of hell
12-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #23950
Veteran Member

Wow lots of good info!

On weekends it is very crowded in November and December. I only go on weekdays. They call it the million dollar mile - probably 2M in current $$. Lots of 600 f4 Nikon and Canon shooters some with multiple rigs
I used the DA300 for a couple of years. There are some point and shoot folks there also. You just have to pick up the eagles very early with that lens and settle for a lower keeper rate. Or rent a lens that focuses faster like the 150-500
People travel there from around the country
12-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #23951

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Mmmm.... I consider it a good solid lens, but not magical. I notice the IQ improve from WO to say, F8, more so than with my F*300/4.5. I also notice it"s light transmittance for a given aperture isn't prime like....lots of elements. To some extent, these are the things one trades for focal length flexability. A much better lens on my K-1 then K3.... maybe the next K3 generation will change this..... it gets a 8.5 from me.... I look "lustfully" at 600/4 shots and then have to reframe my reference back to $2k lens versus $6k lens..... a bit like 55-300 shots compared to DA300/4 shots.... anyway..... I like the flexability a zoom brings at this range of focal lengths for my situation....
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Yes, either would be a nice addition, but you certainly wouldn't be using a 600 f/4 handheld like you can with the 150-450, and also with the 1.4xTC. Here's another example, shot with the K-3 II, with 1.4xTC and full zoom.
Thank you both for the valuable info. I will stick with prime lenses (sharpness). There are few long primes on my list FA *600mm f/4, SMC A* 600mm f/5.6, DA * 560mm f/5.6, Sigma 500mm f/4.5. But more likely I will buy SMC A*600mm f/5.6.
12-02-2016, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #23952
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
My idea of hell
Yeah. Your window mount would be no good there!
You would have to stand out in the hot/cold/wet/dry weather, instead of sitting in the comfort of your car.
12-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #23953
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On weekends it is very crowded in November and December. I only go on weekdays. They call it the million dollar mile - probably 2M in current $$. Lots of 600 f4 Nikon and Canon shooters some with multiple rigs
I used the DA300 for a couple of years. There are some point and shoot folks there also. You just have to pick up the eagles very early with that lens and settle for a lower keeper rate. Or rent a lens that focuses faster like the 150-500
People travel there from around the country
And it's right between DC/Baltimore and Philly...
12-02-2016, 11:20 PM - 4 Likes   #23954
Pentaxian

Another GBH after catching a fish

12-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #23955
Veteran Member

The previous picture of Conowingo shows the small lower platform area. Above the platform, and running for considerable distance, is an elevated roadway, running parallel to the river. There are about 20 feet from the road to a fence. I estimate the distance as between a half and three quarters of a mile. On a weekend during peak eagle season (November and December) the picture below, somewhat exaggerated by perspective, is what the fence looks like. I was there twice this season on weekdays and there was nobody withing 20 to 30 feet of me. I also climb down the riverbed to sit level with the river. There are days when people claim there are several hundred eagles there. I have not seen that many but I have been there when there is a lot of "fishing" activity if the dam releases a lot of water.
Attached Images