Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2016, 01:38 PM - 11 Likes   #24016
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Imperial shag courtship K1 DFA 150-450 at 450

and a couple of a Northern Giant Petrel (I think that's a red nose) washing the filth off its head, handheld from a zodiac, same lens and camera.

12-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #24017
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That first shag pic is great - saw them at a distance but one of the "misses" from my southern trip, photography-wise.
12-11-2016, 10:12 PM - 15 Likes   #24018
Veteran Member

Resting in the tree canopies, getting ready for the evening hunt. I can't believe I shot this at 1/60 with the 560mm.

12-12-2016, 12:16 AM - 14 Likes   #24019
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Went out today for shooting birds (didn't had a chance to do that for months, especially with the K-1 + 250-600!), especially the snow geese that are still in the area. There are over 100-200K gees these times on the Richelieu River in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu (photos will come later), and while I was waiting in my blind on the shore, this fellow came close enough and I took this opportunity to immortalise this event...

Vison d'Amérique / American Mink [Neovison vison]
by Sylvain Cote, sur Flickr

However, I need to do something with my computer... PP in Lr6 is a pain in the a** with those huge RAW files that the K-1 generates !!!
Maybe it's time for an upgrade!!

---------- Post added 2016-12-12 at 03:04 ----------

Just to give you an idea, this AM when they left the river to go in the surrounding corn/alfalfa fields .... we can't see the other side of the river...
(and their poop is "raining" onto us lol)

Nuée d'Oies des neiges / Snow Geese swarm [Chen caerulescens]

12-12-2016, 03:24 AM - 6 Likes   #24020
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

European goldfinch and Tawny Frogmouth along one of Melbourne's creeks. KS-2 and FA*300 f4.5 with 1.4TC:

12-12-2016, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #24021
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote

Just to give you an idea, this AM when they left the river to go in the surrounding corn/alfalfa fields .... we can't see the other side of the river...
(and their poop is "raining" onto us lol)
Those geese are spectacular. Other members of my local phot club have shown images of similar gatherings at bosque del Apache in New Mexico, although it was off-season when we were there so only a few scattered snow geese were about.

The weasel looks like a mink. but there's nothing for scale so I'm not sure it's that big.
12-12-2016, 07:06 AM - 3 Likes   #24022
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Well, it's always hard to follow one of Ken's wonderful images, but here's an unexpected outcome of a stroll on the Toronto waterfront this morning - our first Snowy Owl of the year, and as a bonus it had its eyes fully open. Also with Lake Ontario behind it had a relatively "clean" background which I know will appeal to Ken.
Wow!
Great capture!

I've still never seen a Snowy Owl in the wild. That's a lifer to me!

---------- Post added 12-12-16 at 09:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Some BiF from K1 with DFA150450 (AFC tracking with subject flying towards the camera).

Awesome shots!
Love the background too!

---------- Post added 12-12-16 at 09:13 AM ----------

"Swomee Swan in the Truffula Trees"

12-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #24023
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote

"Swomee Swan in the Truffula Trees"

Very nice Logan
12-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #24024
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've still never seen a Snowy Owl in the wild. That's a lifer to me!
Thanks for all the Snowy likes everyone. We get them most years, some more than others, but they are always a treat to see, especially right by the trail. Sad to say they're usually under stress and come under a lot of pressure from photographers-one pair was trying to flush this one to get in-flight shots until they realized I was behind them. When I came back that way a few minutes later it was gone.
12-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #24025
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Thanks for all the Snowy likes everyone. We get them most years, some more than others, but they are always a treat to see, especially right by the trail. Sad to say they're usually under stress and come under a lot of pressure from photographers-one pair was trying to flush this one to get in-flight shots until they realized I was behind them. When I came back that way a few minutes later it was gone.
That's awful...

Just my opinion - Don't feed animals in the wild, don't touch animals in the wild, don't throw things at animals in the wild; if you want to get the perfect shot, wait for it to come naturally!

---------- Post added 12-12-16 at 09:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Very nice Logan
Thanks Bob!
12-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #24026
Pentaxian

You can tell it's a mink by it's little punched in looking (for a weasel) snout.
12-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #24027
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's awful...

Just my opinion - Don't feed animals in the wild, don't touch animals in the wild, don't throw things at animals in the wild; if you want to get the perfect shot, wait for it to come naturally![COLOR="Silver"]
So many owl shot I see are captive birds or birds that are baited...

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can tell it's a mink by it's little punched in looking (for a weasel) snout.
Minks don't have a white belly either...the Stoat (Short-tailed), and Least weasel have white bellies. The Short-tailed is pure white in winter...The Long-tailed weasel has a lighter colored belly...
12-12-2016, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #24028
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Just my opinion - Don't feed animals in the wild, don't touch animals in the wild, don't throw things at animals in the wild; if you want to get the perfect shot, wait for it to come naturally!
And accept it if you never get it?

After 35 years spending an average of 3 weeks a year in the bush...that's the equivalent of 2 years, I have maybe 5 images of un-habiuated animals. none of them of any quality, I don't feed them, but others do, and that makes it easier for me.

It often seems to me when people say this, they are in denial of the role played by the people in making their pictures possible. I'm not going to go advocating people habituate wild animals, but folks just might want to acknowledge that when they do get pictures of animals in the wild, part of it is they are used to and not alarmed by the presence of people.

A few years ago guy harangued me for posting images of the Arrowhon fox here in Algonquin. When I asked him if he had any pictures of un-habiuated foxes, he said " well I took a picture in almost the same spot, but 20 years ago before everyone went there." The guests at Arrowhon Lodge have been feeding these foxes for 60 years. He was totally full of it.

I have read accounts of people doing it the "right way". It can take them months to get an image, and they have unusual skill sets when it comes to understanding where the animals will be and tracking them. If I have noticed anytime about the "don't feed" folks it's that most of them are complete phonies. They don't acknowledge the fact that they have taken images of habituated animals. If an animal knows you are there and doesn't care, it's habituated. Simple as that. According to some, all photographs should be taken from blinds with really long lenses so the animal is actually not aware of your presence. That's just nonsense.

If you want to get images of any quality at all, find habituated animals, you don't have to feed them or do any of that yourself, but just being used to human presence and car noise is detrimental to wild life. Not just feeding. I you are there, and they are aware of you, you are part of the "problem".

Or, you can take a less extreme approach, and admit there are places where just because of their proximity to roads and human population the wild life have become desensitized to the presence of humans, and go to those places. It's happening whether you are there or not. Those are the places to get wildlife images.

Say you go off into the wilds of grizzly country and find a bear who will actually tolerate you and ignore your presences long enough for a few shots. The next human to approach him may kill him with a weapon. Lulling a wild animal into thinking he can stay put safely with a human around is also extremely dangerous to wildlife. The only way to protect wildlife, is to stay away from them. Completely. And lobby for legislation that makes sure others do as well, and that they are able to have enough wilderness to survive in.

But from a photographer's perspective, do you want pictures or don't you?
The dudes who go out there and kill them bait them. I don't see anyone getting on their case. But there is apparently something terribly morally wrong if someone who wants a picture does it. That's just backwards.

Sorry for the rant... but the "Holier than thou" attitude of the "don't feed" crowd, I find really irritating. I know of maybe two photographers in the world who could pull that off. And their attitude translates to, "no one but me should take wildlife images."

Last edited by normhead; 12-13-2016 at 06:32 AM.
12-12-2016, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #24029
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And accept it if you never get it?

After 35 years spending an average of 3 weeks a year in the bush...that's the equivalent of 2 years, I have exactly maybe 5 images of un-habiuated animals. none of them of any quality, I don't feed them, but others do, and that makes it easier for me.

It often seems to me when people ay this, they are in denial of the role played by the people in making their pictures possible. I'm not going o go advocating people habituate wild animals, but folks just might want to acknowledge that when they do get pictures of animals in the wild, part of it is they are used to the and not alarmed by the presence of people.

A few years ago guy harangued me for posting images of the Arrowhon fox here in Algonquin. When I asked him if he had any pictures of un-habiuated foxes, he said " well I took picture in almost the same spot, but 20 years ago before everyone went there." The guests at Arrowhon Lodge have been feeding these foxes for 60 years. He was totally full of it.

I have read accounts of people doing it the "right way". It can take them months to get an image, and they have unusual skill sets when it comes to understanding where the animals will be and tracking them. If I have noticed anytime about the "don't feed" folks it's that most of them are complete phonies. They don't acknowledge the fact that they have taken images of habituated animals. If an animal knows you are there and doesn't care, it's habituated. Simple as that. According to some all photographs should be taken from blinds with really long lenses so the animal is actually not aware of your presence. That's just nonsense.

If you want to get images of any quality at all, find habituated animals, you don't have to feed them or do any of that yourself, but just being used to human presence and car noise is detrimental to wild life. Not just feeding. I you are there, and they are aware of you, you are part of the "problem".

Or, you can take a less extreme approach, and admit there are places where just because of their proximity to roads and human population the wild life have become desensitized to the presence of humans, and go to those places. It's happening whether you are there or not. Those are the places to get wildlife images.

Say you go off into the wilds of grizzly country and find a bear who will actually tolerate you and ignore your presences long enough for a few shots. The next human to approach him may kill him with a weapon. Lulling a wild animal into thinking he can stay put safely with a human around is also extremely dangerous to wildlife. The only way to protect wildlife, is to stay away from them. Completely. And lobby for legislation that makes sure others do as well, and that they are able to have enough wilderness to survive in.

But from a photographer's perspective, do you want pictures or don't you?
The dudes who go out there and kill them bait them. I don't see anyone getting on their case. But there is apparently something terribly morally wrong if someone who wants a picture does it. That's just backwards.

Sorry for the rant... but the "Holier than thou" attitude of the "don't feed" crowd, I find really irritating. I know of maybe two photographers in the world who could pull that off. And their attitude translates to, "no one but me should take wildlife images."
Look, I'm not trying to argue.
I will always be in the "don't feed" crowd.

I understand the role of humans and our effects on wildlife. I full understand that most of the national parks have a human element that allow wildlife to exist.

But you can't just say 'Habituated' and apply that across the board.
I frequently visit national parks and wildlife preserves, I drive there and park, get out and walk the trails or along the beaches and if I go home empty handed so be it!

There is a huge difference between that and the guys who are baiting and using pheromones to coax animals into their frames...

I've seen guys nail roadkill to boards and place them in fields to bring eagles down, fighting for the kill that can't be taken.
I've heard of photographers using recordings of rare birds to attract them to a site, stressing the animal out looking for it's vocal competitor after the photographer has left.
Dropping carcasses to attract wolves and bears leads them to associate people with food. Often times resulting in "problem animals" that get killed for venturing too close to civilization to find food.

How are these equivalent to what I'm doing?

You're looking at two extremes when you say people who "do it right".
I don't have the time or money to spend hours tracking an animal with my sherpa and 300lbs of glass and carbon fiber - most of us don't have that luxury
But, there is an ethical way to go about wildlife photography.

Last edited by UserAccessDenied; 12-12-2016 at 11:05 AM.
12-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #24030
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
PP in Lr6 is a pain in the a** with those huge RAW files that the K-1 generates !!!
I'm hoping in the next year or two to get a dual xeon processor workstation with 64GB for panoramic work. My 2008 dell laptop (32bit) won't even run LR6. Camera Raw runs out of memory after a small amount of processing K-1 files, and I have to restart bridgd!