Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #24316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Along the Musconetcong River in Stanhope. Are you familiar with the area?
Yes, grew up in Jersey. Used to visit a Swartswood lake outside of Newton. Always enjoyed the NW area of the state.

01-16-2017, 01:59 PM - 9 Likes   #24317
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Still trying to bring you some shots of the elusive male Harlequin Duck that's supposed to be on the waterfront - in the meantime here are some Buffleheads and Redheads that came within range today.

Last edited by jacamar; 01-16-2017 at 03:31 PM.
01-16-2017, 09:45 PM - 5 Likes   #24318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Yes, grew up in Jersey. Used to visit a Swartswood lake outside of Newton. Always enjoyed the NW area of the state.
Swartswood Lake is about a 45 minute drive for me. It's been ages since I've been there. Depending on how long ago you left, you might be surprised at how "developed" Sussex County has gotten.

Here's a few from the same location today, one visit at noon and the other about an hour before sundown. I was again surprised by the amount of activity.

Still working on coming to grips with the A 400/5.6 + 1.4x-L combo...

I was about to shoot something else when suddenly this GHB glided into view. Didn't nail focus, and shutter speed was too slow.

It was about 35F, and he looked cold.

Young baldy watching me from across the pond, a couple hundred feet away. First eagle sighting of the year.

There were a couple hundred geese, just a handful of the hooded mergansers. So quirky-cute.

There were a couple dozen mallards (slight crop). The low sun sets off the colors nicely.

Last edited by luftfluss; 01-16-2017 at 09:53 PM.
01-16-2017, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #24319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
So, set up early as low as I could
The early bird got much better than the proverbial worm! Thanks for posting your setup too.

01-17-2017, 08:27 AM - 11 Likes   #24320
Pentaxian

At the Visitor's centre, A-400 and F 1.7x AF Adapter and K-1 with 28-105.
Opeongo Road images, Tamron 300 most with the HD DA 1.4 TC.

There is a new feeder at the Visitor's Centre, it's very popular with the grosbeaks.. you can see it in the middles of the photo hanging in that weird alcove kind of architectural feature. The older feeders are below it centre left at the bottom. K-1 nd 28-105)

Pictures from the Visitor's Centre deck....

Far out in the field a fox expresses his displeasure that a fisher won't leave the road killed moose carcass dragged there by the park rangers, for your viewing pleasure. (A-400 and 1.7x without a tripod = no hope a clear image.)

You can check what's happening there live, although there's been very little activity this morning.
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/virtual/webcam/index.php

Also taken from the deck, on the new feeder

Waiting their turn in the nearby trees.

In front of the Visitor's Centre..

Photographers in the Spruce Bog Trail parking lot. I wonder if that guy on the left has noticed all those women have bigger lenses (not that size matters) . Those Sigma an Tamron 150-600s are getting to be real popular. In this group , approx. 4 of 12 shooters were using them, and all women (you dudes keep that in mind next time you complain about the weight of those lenses. Not only were they carrying them, they were using them hand held.). In my picture 2 of the 5 had them. The tall skinny girl's is unseen behind her legs hanging on some kind of lanyard.

Spruce Bog Trail ice.

Over at Opeongo road, the up close and personal viewing site. (Tamron 300 and HD DA 1.4 and K-1)

This first one shows the Vignetting caused by the HD DA 1.4 FF on the full frame. In some images it makes a difference, but on many, it is non-existent. Especially if you crop at all.

A young Pine Marten has learned that bird seed is a good dietary supplement, and that birds and squirrels that come to this parking lot for bird seed can make an excellent main meal.

Gray Jay at Costello Creek picnic area, (Tamron SP AF 300 LD [IF].

End of the day, Brewer Lake

Mild weather and bright sun makes for great days in the park.

Last edited by normhead; 01-17-2017 at 09:27 AM.
01-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #24321
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice series, luftfluss, and good variety of subjects. They all look good to me, especially the 4th. Looks like the A 400/5.6 + 1.4x-L combo is serving you well. How long have you had the 400mm? I've read a lot of good things about both the A and L. My long combo is the A*300mm + 1.7x af.

I'm familiar with the development up north. I started visiting the area in the early 60s, last visit several years ago.
01-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #24322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series, luftfluss, and good variety of subjects. They all look good to me, especially the 4th. Looks like the A 400/5.6 + 1.4x-L combo is serving you well. How long have you had the 400mm? I've read a lot of good things about both the A and L. My long combo is the A*300mm + 1.7x af.

I'm familiar with the development up north. I started visiting the area in the early 60s, last visit several years ago.
I'm coming up on one year with the 400mm. A couple years prior to that I shot mostly Tak 200's & 300mm, so the bulk of my recent wildlife shooting has been MF. Great lenses all - sharp and wonderful feel - but plenty of CA and must be more mindful of the light than with modern glass.

Which 300mm do you have - the 2.8 or 4? Either way, I'm envious!

01-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #24323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In front of the Visitor's Centre..

Photographers in the Spruce Bog Trail parking lot. I wonder if that guy on the left has noticed all those women have bigger lenses (not that size matters) . Those Sigma an Tamron 150-600s are getting to be real popular. In this group , approx. 4 of 12 shooters were using them, and all women (you dudes keep that in mind next time you complain about the weight of those lenses. Not only were they carrying them, they were using them hand held.). In my picture 2 of the 5 had them. The tall skinny girl's is unseen behind her legs hanging on some kind of lanyard.
Sturdy Canadian stock, eh?

QuoteQuote:
A young Pine Marten has learned that bird seed is a good dietary supplement, and that birds and squirrels that come to this parking lot for bird seed can make an excellent main meal.
What a shot. Adorable little critter.
01-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #24324
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm coming up on one year with the 400mm. A couple years prior to that I shot mostly Tak 200's & 300mm, so the bulk of my recent wildlife shooting has been MF. Great lenses all - sharp and wonderful feel - but plenty of CA and must be more mindful of the light than with modern glass.

Which 300mm do you have - the 2.8 or 4? Either way, I'm envious!
I actually have two: A*300mm f4 and DA 300mm F4. Both great lenses. I use the A with the 1.7x af and the DA by itself. The A is extremely light and compact, it mates well with the adapter.
01-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #24325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually have two: A*300mm f4 and DA 300mm F4. Both great lenses. I use the A with the 1.7x af and the DA by itself. The A is extremely light and compact, it mates well with the adapter.
Nice lenses! I hope to acquire a 300/4 or /2.8 someday...
01-17-2017, 05:18 PM - 21 Likes   #24326
Veteran Member

Another Eagle shot and My new Pup.
01-17-2017, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #24327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
My new Pup.
What big feet you have!
01-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #24328
Veteran Member

My new Pup.
Is that a Catahoula Cur?
Great shots btw!
01-17-2017, 06:29 PM - 3 Likes   #24329
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another Eagle shot and My new Pup.

Extraordinary capture on the eagle. That is as good and better than hundreds of images of eagles I have seen over the decades.
01-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #24330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific pictures, dane.dawg.