Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #24526
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've often thought I'd get a lot more deer and moose pictures if people would stop shooting them.

02-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #24527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've often thought I'd get a lot more deer and moose pictures if people would stop shooting them.
But people besides you want to have photos of Bambi and Bullwinkle, too.
02-01-2017, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #24528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, here's a deer pic with the A400, shot wide open...

02-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #24529
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
it sounds great but that isn't how it works

their populations will self-regulate or they will become a nuisance and then be culled

watching sick deer slowly wasting is actually more heartbreaking than knowing hunters are "harvesting" them

02-01-2017, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #24530
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With his nuptial feathers down, this fellow looks almost depressed.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #24531
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote

their populations will self-regulate or they will become a nuisance and then be culled

watching sick deer slowly wasting is actually more heartbreaking than knowing hunters are "harvesting" them
Sorry, but in areas like this, it does work like that. Poachers kill any animal that comes into this area, regardless of hunting season or anything else. I do know responsible hunters. I talked to a guy near my daughter's cottage. He said, it doesn't matter how many you start the year with, there's only 7 left there at the end of the winter, the rest starve. The trouble where I live , is, no one counts and no one leaves the seven or whatever the number here is) that should live here. So, ya, that is how it works. They just shoot everything that moves. The nearest MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources (or Ministry of No Results depending on who you talk) to are 30 minutes away and their biggest concern is not driving the trucks too much to run up the gas bills. As long as I've been here the only guy caught poaching was brazen enough to shoot a deer right on somebody's front lawn. Of the wildlife in our neck of the woods, 100% are poached or shot illegally. And if they aren't it's because no one got them in their sites.

Where I live, people pretend the protected wolves are coy-wolves, that they are allowed to shoot, as opposed to the wolves they know they are, which are protected. (There are maybe 300 Eastern Red wolves in the whole world, and these folks have taken it upon themselves to wipe out what's left.) To the game wardens, 'I thought it was a coy -wolf." Is a legitimate excuse and the poachers know it. "The bear was in my back yard eating my garbage." is also a legitimate excuse. Leaving fresh garbage out in your back yard isn't a crime. I don't have a problem getting rid of nuisance animals, but I sure wish there was a way to get rid of nuisance people.

And besides, we still have enough wolves to control the deer population. We don't even need people doing it. In a natural wilderness environment, that's the way it works. There's no need for hunters at all. The pack that lives behind our house is currently down to 5 animals. When the poachers slow down a bit that goes up as high as 7 or 8. This ecosystem can definitely support the deer hunt, and still have enough deer to support a healthy wolf population. The humans want them all.

We live here. We have an Ecological Studies major in the family. We understand these things.

Last edited by normhead; 02-01-2017 at 11:14 AM.
02-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #24532
Pentaxian

Yeah, the problem is people often "stretch" the rules to make it work for them...
Tragedy of the commons - It's an economic theory everyone should read up on - it applies to so much more than just resource management.

I know people who will lure wildlife onto their property to kill; because the law may say if it's on your private property you can shoot it whenever you want. Season or no season.
Same applied to wolves.
Huge controversy in Montana, I'd rather not get into it. I'm sure members here are more educated on the matter than me anyways...
02-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #24533
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rupert or aslyfox can verufy, but I understand that puma (cougar, mountain lion, etc) are classified as "vermin" in Texas, so you can kill them all year long, as many as you want, any way that amuses the hunter.

02-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #24534
Veteran Member

poachers are poachers

I get them on my place

after years of not allowing hunting I let the ornery little kid across the road hunt my ground

no more carcasses in the draws or bullet holes through the barn
I understand some neighbors are afraid to traipse through now that he is on the prowl

I talked to a couple of moose hunters in the Yukon
I was surprised to hear the difference in attitude about hunting
locally, even though it's done, poaching is wrong for most folks here
these guys were meat hunters and they were going to kill when, where and what they wanted
here you could lose your guns, cars, hunting rights and perhaps end up in jail for poaching or any illegal hunting

actually, here trespassing is illegal
in some parts of the state it can get you seriously hurt
so it doesn't take a game warden to get things rolling

funny thing, in the late nineties there were quite a few pot farmers "in between the row" cropping
locals said it really cut down on poaching

when they switched to meth things got pretty weird...strung out, broke and hungry
02-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #24535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
Any more photos of Secretarybirds? They're at the top of my bird list and I doubt I'll make it out of North America in the next few years. I need to live vicariously through someone

These were pretty high on my "must see" list of birds. No regrets about selling the 560 for the Sigma 500!
If getting out of North America is going to take a while you might consider getting down to south east Arizona in late Spring for some very interesting birds only found that far north or down in the Rio Grande Valley along the border where there are also some very nice neo tropical birds to be found!! ;-)

---------- Post added 02-01-17 at 01:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
My 1st birding session this yr after no shooting of birds for few months.
I've shot this migratory bird, Hooded Pitta with K5/K5-IIs/K3 but have not shot with K1 before.
The below shots were taken with K1 at iso 400-800, and it seems like iso 100-200 on K3/K5 series.
So far for the past few years the pics I took for this bird is on the ground or the most on the rock/log but this time it's on the branches, a rare perch for this specie of bird.

#3 on the ground

That is simply an amazing bird and pictures!
02-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #24536
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Huge controversy in Montana,
Not sure what you're referring to, I live in Montana.
02-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #24537
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Not sure what you're referring to, I live in Montana.
Sorry, I should have been more specific than just saying the controversy over wolves.

My family lives in Bozeman.
I'm not there enough to fully immerse myself in the issue, but there is certainly a political and social debate over the re-introduction of wolf populations.
02-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #24538
Pentaxian

I talked to a couple of moose hunters in the Yukon
I was surprised to hear the difference in attitude about hunting
locally, even though it's done, poaching is wrong for most folks here
these guys were meat hunters and they were going to kill when, where and what they wanted
here you could lose your guns, cars, hunting rights and perhaps end up in jail for poaching or any illegal hunting
Part of the problem is lack of enforcement budget. In northern Canada there is generally one conservation enforcement officer for an area the size of Switzerland, with no budget for aerial patrol.

The other problem is that the the protective legislation was introduced after centuries of subsistence hunting. The residents see it as their God-given right to hunt whenever, wherever, and how much they want.
02-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #24539
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, I should have been more specific than just saying the controversy over wolves.

My family lives in Bozeman.
I'm not there enough to fully immerse myself in the issue, but there is certainly a political and social debate over the re-introduction of wolf populations.
Pretty old news, they were re-introduced in the area mid 1990's.
02-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #24540

Do you have Lightroom?<snip>
Wow, thanks for your very elaborate reply! Funnily enough I've never tried Lightroom because my irrational fear of Adobe rivals my irrational fear of Canon, but it looks like I should definitely give it a try....