Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2017, 10:37 PM - 5 Likes   #24556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An early hint of spring!
Although around all year, this Bewick's wren is starting to sing like crazy (when not staring at me)
K3 and DA 560

02-03-2017, 07:13 AM   #24557
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
Short-eared Owl from today's day trip

Phenomenal!
Still yet to encounter ANY owl in the field...

Jealous...
02-03-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #24558
Pentaxian

Somebody has to tell you where the right field is. This is when befriending a few birders is a wonderful thing. Just take you binocs out to a local birding spot and engage in conversation.
02-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #24559
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Phenomenal!

Jealous...
Contact your local Audubon Society. They often have a message board that alerts other birders to unusual sightings. You might also get pointed to places for watching/photographing birds. Just do a web search for your area.

02-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #24560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
Short-eared Owl from today's day trip

What a great capture and sooo sharp! Please tell me you were using a tripod... ;-)
02-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #24561
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
An early hint of spring!
Although around all year, this Bewick's wren is starting to sing like crazy (when not staring at me)
K3 and DA 560
Nice! We have the Pacific Wren here and it is amazing the cacophony they can produce.
02-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #24562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Always love to shots the Oriental magpie-robin, taken in the evening at a small town in Malaysia. Really appreciate the lovely singing sound from this bird.

Luis, these are wonderful pictures of a spectacular bird. When looking at your flicker EXIF it says the shots were taken with your Sigma 500, 4.5 shot at f9 and at 13th of a second!!! Was the camera and lens embedded in concrete? I'm just amazed and challenged at the same time. I've tried to just get duck shots with my K3 and Sigma 500, 4.5 that are reasonably in focus and only get mediocre results at 500th of a second at f4.5. I am just amazed at these beautiful pictures that are tack sharp and have so much depth of field. Please keep the pictures coming as they give me hope! ;-)
Bob

02-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #24563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Phenomenal!

Jealous...
The ABA list of birding mailing lists...

Birding News | #birdingnews via @aba

eBird...

eBird
02-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #24564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Somebody has to tell you where the right field is. This is when befriending a few birders is a wonderful thing. Just take you binocs out to a local birding spot and engage in conversation.
Great idea.
I just attended a birding event last weekend.
Three days in a row, met some great people with great tips and tricks.

One guy could imitate a thrush and attract warblers.
Another guy used owl calls to attract song birds.

They were adamant about ethical usage, ie: not using recordings during breeding/nesting season, duration of the call usage etc.

I'll definitely check with them on owl locations.
Been trying to track down the snowy owl in our area the last few years and always miss it!
02-03-2017, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #24565
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
As recommended by others... visit your local Audubon Society, and/or search eBird

eBird access is by subscription,
As far as I know, access to eBird is free of charge no matter which computer you access it from. You just have set up your own account.

If you're trying to photograph a bird reported by birders, be sure not to flush the bird, or you'll quickly gain enemies among the the majority of birders who aren't into photography. This is also considered harassment of the bird, which, depending on the species, is an offence under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act (Migratory Bird Convention Act in Canada). Species not protected by these acts are protected under state/provincial laws (except pest species such as American Crow, House Sparrow, Rock Pigeon, etc.).
02-03-2017, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #24566
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
As far as I know, access to eBird is free of charge no matter which computer you access it from. You just have set up your own account.

If you're trying to photograph a bird reported by birders, be sure not to flush the bird, or you'll quickly gain enemies among the the majority of birders who aren't into photography. This is also considered harassment of the bird, which, depending on the species, is an offence under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act (Migratory Bird Convention Act in Canada). Species not protected by these acts are protected under state/provincial laws (except pest species such as American Crow, House Sparrow, Rock Pigeon, etc.).
American Crow is not considered a pest species. They are a migratory species but don't require a Federal Migratory Bird stamp to hunt. There is a regular season in most states. In NY it is Sept. 1st to March 31st (Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday only). That is for Upstate NY and Nassau & Suffolk counties. NY City has no hunting for migratory species...American Woodcock, Snipe, Rail & Gallinule have similar regulations.

House Sparrow, European Starling and Rock Pigeons are all invasive...
02-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #24567
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
American Crow is not considered a pest species. They are a migratory species but don't require a Federal Migratory Bird stamp to hunt. There is a regular season in most states. In NY it is Sept. 1st to March 31st (Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday only). That is for Upstate NY and Nassau & Suffolk counties. NY City has no hunting for migratory species...American Woodcock, Snipe, Rail & Gallinule have similar regulations.

House Sparrow, European Starling and Rock Pigeons are all invasive...
The species protected by acts enforcing the international treaty differ between the two countries. The Corvidae are not protected under the Migratory Birds Convention Act in Canada. Nor are Mute Swan, cormorant species, American White Pelican, grouse, owls, diurnal raptors, and the blackbird species. However, most provinces and territories have legislation to protect the pelicans, jay species, Common Raven, upland game birds, diurnal raptors and nocturnal raptors, but not crows or several other species. As a result, in most provinces it's open season on crows, magpies, blackbirds, starlings, etc.
02-03-2017, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #24568
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
As recommended by others... visit your local Audubon Society, and/or search eBird
I get the sense that, in my area, many owls and other "charismatic" birds are not posted by birders, to avoid pressure from photographers. I came across a Bald Eagle once, in a tree half surrounded by an encampment of about 15 photographers who seemed to be there for the afternoon. The Snowy Owl I posted last Nov/December was attended by a couple of photographers who didn't know I was behind them and began trying to flush it, presumably to get flight shots. While most photographers give the birds space, in a lot of cases there's one or two individuals who try to get much too close. It's hard for us to know how much impact we're having (preventing them from sleeping or hunting, forcing them out into the open to be harassed by crows?) but I prefer to be cautious.
02-03-2017, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #24569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I get the sense that, in my area, many owls and other "charismatic" birds are not posted by birders, to avoid pressure from photographers. I came across a Bald Eagle once, in a tree half surrounded by an encampment of about 15 photographers who seemed to be there for the afternoon. The Snowy Owl I posted last Nov/December was attended by a couple of photographers who didn't know I was behind them and began trying to flush it, presumably to get flight shots. While most photographers give the birds space, in a lot of cases there's one or two individuals who try to get much too close. It's hard for us to know how much impact we're having (preventing them from sleeping or hunting, forcing them out into the open to be harassed by crows?) but I prefer to be cautious.
Everyone thinks they are the next Paul Nicklen or Joel Sartore...
Tragedy of the commons, again!
Individuals acting independently based on their own self-interest. Depleting a resource through the collective action of everyone behaving contrary to the common good.

TOTC - It's all too real.
02-03-2017, 10:02 AM - 5 Likes   #24570
Veteran Member

A frosty feathered Bluebird tries to thaw out just after sunrise at Mather Point Grand Canyon NP.

K-1 and Sigma 100-300 f4.

Last edited by nomadkng; 05-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.