02-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #24661
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rkappleby this is awesome!!!
What next a Wolverine??

02-12-2017, 06:24 PM - 3 Likes   #24662
Forum Member

I love the photos on this thread. How many times can a guy photograph a cougar in the wild, exceptional experience. The bird photos always make me strive to be better with my mediocre equipment. I shot a few ducks today at the local park. These are all with my K-x and my DA 55-300. Some day I hope to get good at this.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
02-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #24663
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
Normally all I see are tracks from these guys..... we had about four feet of snow last weekend and it has made it pretty tough for the wildlife to get around. We have 25 odd wild turkeys that hang around close our home and I think they drew this guy in. He gave me a long hard look and decided I wasn't a threat and he continued stalking a couple of the turkeys. He flushed them but didn't have any luck and then he just melted away.
Way too cool.
02-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #24664
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
A couple of recent Eagles.

Outstanding, especially the second image.

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 08:44 PM ----------

Normally all I see are tracks from these guys..... we had about four feet of snow last weekend and it has made it pretty tough for the wildlife to get around. We have 25 odd wild turkeys that hang around close our home and I think they drew this guy in. He gave me a long hard look and decided I wasn't a threat and he continued stalking a couple of the turkeys. He flushed them but didn't have any luck and then he just melted away.

Oh, that is such a beautiful, burly, healthy-looking cat.

02-12-2017, 07:14 PM - 8 Likes   #24665
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that is amazing. Great shots.

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 06:16 PM ----------

A couple of recent Eagles.
Very nice!

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 06:18 PM ----------

Bohemian Waxwing

02-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #24666
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What next a Wolverine??
Geez Travis a wolverine would kind of be the holy grail - but you should have them out in your country I'll let you show me one!!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Way too cool.
Norm - my thoughts exactly -what a treat

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Oh, that is such a beautiful, burly, healthy-looking cat.
Isn't he just gorgeous

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Wow, that is amazing. Great shots.
Thanks Derek - right time right place - kinda like some grizz shots I've seen you post - nice waxwing
02-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #24667
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots! Be careful out there in case that big kitty mistakes you for a turkey next time.

02-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #24668
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots, especially the first. That cat looks well fed, beautiful animal.

I have only seen paw prints in the sand at the riverbank behind my house, and found scat a few times along the path from the house to the river. I've seen bobcat a few times, one even walked a few feet from my door recently. By the time I grabbed the camera he was gone.

02-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #24669
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Nice! I like the lighting of the first and the 'pose' of the second image. I tried to get some eagle pics recently and all I got was squat.
Perfect timing.
02-13-2017, 05:09 AM   #24670
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great shots - so elusive.
02-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #24671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remarkable!
I imagine that was quite the experience!
02-13-2017, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #24672
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Geez Travis a wolverine would kind of be the holy grail
On our trip to Nunavut in 2015 we were expecting to see Muskox but missed them. We weren't expecting to see Wolverine:

Pentax K-r, DA*300mm

Please forgive a non-telephoto shot of a skull we found:

02-13-2017, 09:05 AM - 13 Likes   #24673
Pentaxian

Here are some Nuthatch pictures taken at fairly low shutter speeds. K-5/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Gitzo 1348 tripod.

1/250

1/160

1/160

1/100

Last edited by Ducatigaz; 02-13-2017 at 10:29 AM.
02-13-2017, 10:50 AM - 4 Likes   #24674
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

K-3 and Tamron SP AF 300mm LD [IF] plus HD DA 1.4 TC (420mm ƒ4)

I finally got some sun and some time, well, I only got some time because my snow blower froze up and I'm waiting for it to unthaw under a tarp with an electrics heater.

I got one of everyone present today.

First the news, one of the male goldfinches has started to change colour. His breeding plumage is coming in...

Downey Woodpecker

02-13-2017, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #24675
Veteran Member

@useraccessdenied

a while ago we were discussing using online resources to find owls

this morning by dog woke me at four
I let her out
she didn't need to relieve herself she wanted the screech owl on the porch railing

I figured if it was going to be an owl day i'd drive forty miles to where a short-eared owl had been sighted (ABA)
too dark for BIF shots but I found two within a couple of miles of where they'd originally been seen
both were diligently hunting stubble fields

a mile past that watched a red tail giving a flock of pigeons heart attacks

just a bit further on at a creek where I thought I would get some songbirds when the sun got high enough I found a bald eagle trying to catch a goose for breakfast

things kind of petered out so I stopped at a dead end to have cup of coffee and saw these guys wandering west down another creek
a couple of yelps and gobbles....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo