Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91909 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #24796
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Thanks, Luftfluss!

On a 32 degree day, the aviary left a sprinkler on, and this Gouldian Finch wasn't going to miss out.
And here I am thinking it was during a sunshower. Whatever the circumstance, the result is lovely.

02-28-2017, 06:59 PM - 2 Likes   #24797
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few more from my "mystery lens" at 500mm...

02-28-2017, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #24798
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Thanks, Luftfluss!

On a 32 degree day, the aviary left a sprinkler on, and this Gouldian Finch wasn't going to miss out.
32C. This weekend it isn't even going to make it to 32F here...
02-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #24799
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
32C. This weekend it isn't even going to make it to 32F here...
Ouch!

I'd prefer your June to ours, though.

02-28-2017, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #24800
Pentaxian

k-1, da*300mm

02-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #24801
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Beautiful shots. It's so small that the members of this genus are called a pygmy-owls (Glaucidium sp.). Northern Pygmy-Owl, in this case (G. gnoma). That's quite the good luck finding that bird.
They are relatively common around here. This location, the very branch is where I saw one two years ago. Cute as a button but fierce hunters. I heard a commotion outside our home once and it was one of these trying to make a meal of a Northern flicker.
03-01-2017, 07:53 AM - 10 Likes   #24802
Veteran Member

I am finally getting around to making a print from a two year old shoot at Conowingo - with the K3 with Sigma 500
This will be my first print with an overlaid sky background so I thought I would post here and welcome any suggestions before spending the bucks for the print. The print will be about 45 inches wide on aluminum.
The image was processed mostly using ON1 with some final feathering and refined edge in Photoshop.
Here's the original and the print version - yeah I also do not like doctored backgrounds but the shot came out good and there wasn't a wisp of a cloud in the sky.

Attached Images

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 03-01-2017 at 09:01 AM.
03-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #24803
Pentaxian

The sun direction does not seem to match. I prefer the plain sky version, on my phone.
03-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #24804
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I am finally getting around to making a print from a two year old shoot at Conowingo - with the K3 with Sigma 500
This will be my first print with an overlaid sky background so I thought I would post here and welcome any suggestions before spending the bucks for the print. The print will be about 45 inches wide on aluminum.
The image was processed mostly using ON1 with some final feathering and refined edge in Photoshop.
Here's the original and the print version - yeah I also do not like doctored backgrounds but the shot came out good and there wasn't a wisp of a cloud in the sky.
half the pictures I process now my wife asks...is that real?
on1 does a great job of masking and layering, doesn't it?
03-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #24805
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My vote goes to the "doctored" version. At least at web size it looks like you did a great job.
03-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #24806
Veteran Member

with some final feathering and refined edge in Photoshop
Oh, that was a pun, right?

I also vote for the doctored one. Excellent photo!
03-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #24807
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't do that kind of doctoring unless it was clear I was having fun with it - a Polar Bear under a palm tree, for example.
03-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #24808
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The sun direction does not seem to match. I prefer the plain sky version, on my phone.
Thanks for the observation and taking the time to let me know I will look to rotate the layer and/or lighten up the right side of the clouds.

---------- Post added 03-01-17 at 05:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
half the pictures I process now my wife asks...is that real?
on1 does a great job of masking and layering, doesn't it?
As a long time NIK user, who paid about $400 for the package, I was disappointed to see its demise after Google butchered the acquisition. I struggled to keep NIK afloat but Photoshop CC basically killed NIK. ON1 has about 90+% of the NIK features and does them better. It is just the time needed to learn a package. I sense Macphun is even better but right now LUMINOUS is strictly on MAC with PC to come. I use both MAC and PC.
But yes - ON1 is terrific and I am still learning.

---------- Post added 03-01-17 at 05:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
My vote goes to the "doctored" version. At least at web size it looks like you did a great job.
Thanks for the feedback - I feel a large print just needs something besides blue sky - 45 inches is a lot of blue. Otherwise I am with jacamar and do not do doctoring. I just wanted an eagle picture and felt there was just too much blue for a 45 inch wide print.

---------- Post added 03-01-17 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Oh, that was a pun, right?

I also vote for the doctored one. Excellent photo!
Thanks - for the feedback

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 03-01-2017 at 03:51 PM.
03-01-2017, 10:30 PM - 2 Likes   #24809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The image has a very simple composition: big areas of strong blue and the eagle with a good quality of structure in the feathers.

So I can imagine a terrific black & white image. Hence I’d suggest going this route using the original version (without clouds).

Use a black & white conversion tool. First step activate the tool that incorporates a digital color filter set (sliders). Vary the „Blue“ slider to your taste. It controls the amount of transparency of the blue. I think I’d go very light grey, nearly white for the background. Utilize the eagle to be the microstructured contrast. Because the feathers salvages a lot of structure that you may want to emphasize they should also be a little brighter. Enhance microcontrast of the feathers in a local adjustement. Put in some silver grain … just my two cents - it’s worth a try I think.
03-02-2017, 03:08 AM   #24810
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
The image has a very simple composition: big areas of strong blue and the eagle with a good quality of structure in the feathers.

So I can imagine a terrific black & white image. Hence I’d suggest going this route using the original version (without clouds).

Use a black & white conversion tool. First step activate the tool that incorporates a digital color filter set (sliders). Vary the „Blue“ slider to your taste. It controls the amount of transparency of the blue. I think I’d go very light grey, nearly white for the background. Utilize the eagle to be the microstructured contrast. Because the feathers salvages a lot of structure that you may want to emphasize they should also be a little brighter. Enhance microcontrast of the feathers in a local adjustement. Put in some silver grain … just my two cents - it’s worth a try I think.
Great idea - i will give it a try - thanks