Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91913 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2017, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #25546
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Abnormal Plumage

I'd like to float an idea past the forum, if you'll indulge me...my apologies to those not interested in photographing birds.

The British Trust for Ornithology has been running a survey of birds exhibiting abnormal plumage since 2011. You can find the link to it here:
Abnormal Plumage Survey | BTO - British Trust for Ornithology

I'm sure each national equivalent will be doing something similar. The aim is to understand the distribution of abnormal plumage and the reasons for it.

The thing is, those unusual specimens do not always have the good sense to pose in front of good glass. Generally all the BTO has to go on is mobile phone shots. We must be able to do better.

So, what does everyone think? Could we rise to a Monthly Challenge, with everyone scouring their archives? Is it a new thread, perhaps?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
05-08-2017, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #25547
Veteran Member

my eyesight has always been second-rate so I depend on auditory cues to alert me about sneaky visitors
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-08-2017, 01:11 PM - 6 Likes   #25548
Veteran Member

Humble Sparrows

Evening. Some shots of Sparrows taken this weekend. They were close, and I think these may be my best close up bird shots so far.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #25549

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
I'd like to float an idea past the forum, if you'll indulge me...my apologies to those not interested in photographing birds.

The British Trust for Ornithology has been running a survey of birds exhibiting abnormal plumage since 2011. You can find the link to it here:
Abnormal Plumage Survey | BTO - British Trust for Ornithology

I'm sure each national equivalent will be doing something similar. The aim is to understand the distribution of abnormal plumage and the reasons for it.

The thing is, those unusual specimens do not always have the good sense to pose in front of good glass. Generally all the BTO has to go on is mobile phone shots. We must be able to do better.

So, what does everyone think? Could we rise to a Monthly Challenge, with everyone scouring their archives? Is it a new thread, perhaps?
Good idea, but how would I know what plumage is abnormal? I just take photos of bird looking things, maybe some other animal looking things and do the ID later.

05-08-2017, 05:47 PM - 4 Likes   #25550
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm doing some sorting, when I originally took this I thought it was a just another Swainson's Hawk but when I take a closer look I'm leaning towards Prairie Falcon - anybody able to give me a more concrete ID - sorry not a very good shot
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #25551
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
I'm doing some sorting, when I originally took this I thought it was a just another Swainson's Hawk but when I take a closer look I'm leaning towards Prairie Falcon - anybody able to give me a more concrete ID - sorry not a very good shot

looks like the illustration ???

slightly longer tailed and blunter winged than peregrine falcon. overall pale color with very dark wing pits distinctive pale grey-brown tail and mostly white underparts wing tips do not reach tail tips

p. 326 the sibley guide to birds 2nd ed.

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-08-2017 at 06:54 PM.
05-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #25552
Veteran Member

a late afternoon visitor that we normally don't get until the end of the month...weird spring

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
05-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #25553
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Just another Swainson's"...

Where I live there are maybe 4 or 5 seen a year...
05-08-2017, 07:21 PM - 6 Likes   #25554
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Where I live there are maybe 4 or 5 seen a year...
Ya I guess it just depends where you are I've seen upwards of thirty in a hour's drive in the foothills
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-08-2017, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #25555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
I think a new thread is the way to go. It might be a good project for the Birding Group in part because the bird knowledge is pretty high so they're better than most of us when it comes to spotting a sport
05-08-2017, 10:00 PM - 9 Likes   #25556
Pentaxian

From today, with K5iis, DA*300 and x1.4TC. Cropped.

And here is the area where the eagle (today it was female) usually stays, you can see it on the top of the central tree.

05-09-2017, 06:58 AM - 11 Likes   #25557
Pentaxian

Finally got time to upload some of my shot in Yunnan, China. The Rusty-fronted Barwing, a species of bird in the Leiothrichidae family.

05-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #25558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Finally got time to upload some of my shot in Yunnan, China. The Rusty-fronted Barwing, a species of bird in the Leiothrichidae family.
Beautiful bird - well photographed!!
05-09-2017, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #25559
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Oot and aboot with "Duchess" not a birding shot, just one of where they've been, cross posted.

05-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #25560
Veteran Member

showdown at sunup

a few orioles are trickling in

if this robin was human, I would say he had experienced a stroke
his right side doesn't work very well
as a result once he gets settled in front of dinner he doesn't budge

these two stared at each other for about five minutes
then started eating...together
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF